Another MAF fault question (GTV V6) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 16-07-09 Thread Starter

County: -

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Another MAF fault question (GTV V6)

Hi,
I need some advice please.

I have a 1999 GTV 3.0 V6.

When idling, the engine speed is slightly irratic (hunting). The revs will drop until it almost seems like it will stall, and then they will pick up slightly. Also when hot, sometimes the engine will cut out when setting off from lights etc, left for a few minutes it will then run ok.

I have alfa diag, and fault code P0100 is shown;

Failed Component Code: Air Flow Meter
Fault Symptom: Below Minimum Limit
Warning Lamp Status: Warning Lamp Illuminated
Fault Test State: Test complete for this Error or not applicable.
Fault Code Storage State: Error Present at time of request
Event Count: 64 count
Filter Count: 0 count

However, when I monitor the air flow meter in the sensors tab of alfa diag, it seems to be recording a temperature and flow.

The idle speed according to alfa diag is around 600-650rpm which seems a little low to me?

I've tried cleaning the MAF and the connector, but no change. Also with MAF disconnected the engine idling is the same.

Any advice on whether this is the MAF, or maybe something else causing the MAF fault would be appreciated, before I splash out on a new one.

Cheers

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

0of0

Mebee a split / hole in the intake itself (specially the flexi-part) - PVC tape is a quick fix for this

(Post Link) post #3 of 17 Old 16-07-09 Thread Starter

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Thanks,
Had a quick look at the intake, although a bit perished in places it doesn't look like there's a leak
0of0

I am not saying it is deffo this, but is mebee worth removing the flexipart to have a proper look

(Post Link) post #5 of 17 Old 16-07-09 Thread Starter

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

I agree, just taken it off, and although no obvious holes I cleaned it up and taped over any perished parts. Put it back together and cleared the faults, but still got the same problem and fault code. At least I've eliminated that.

Shame as PVC tape is a lot cheaper than a MAF, I checked with my local dealer (deep breath) £251.00+ VAT Somehow I dont think I'll be getting one from them.
0of0

^^ am sure they can be had cheaper than that! - don't be tempted by the non-Bosch ones though (you may have read about them)

Try here:

http://www.alfa156.net/altautos/ALFA...SC%20PARTS.pdf

(Post Link) post #7 of 17 Old 16-07-09 Thread Starter

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Thanks, yeah the dealer's having a laugh at that price. (unless it's on of those limited edition diamond encrusted ones) seen plenty of genuine Bosch ones about for about £140 all in.

Any chance it might be the lambda sensor, read that they can cause a 'lumpy idle' when they're on the out? Although only fault showing is the MAF
0of0

When I changed my Lambda, the idle settled I must say, but wouldn't describe it as lumpy beforehand

Would be good to try a known good MAF before replacing these expensive bits - any Alfa 'indys' near you who may have one lying around?

AO Silver Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9 JTDm

We have got a thread about something similar a few of us were all discussing maybe it could help you out, there are a few suggestions and a combination of things that could be affecting the idle.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...g-problem.html
(Post Link) post #10 of 17 Old 25-07-09 Thread Starter

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Thanks, I've got a MAF delivered today, will fit it tommorow. If it improves I'll let you know.
AO Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

147 JTD Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubba2009 View Post
Thanks, I've got a MAF delivered today, will fit it tommorow. If it improves I'll let you know.
Did you ? Has it ? Sounds like a problem mine has.

Steve
(Post Link) post #12 of 17 Old 02-08-09 Thread Starter

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Fitted the MAF and it sorted the fault code. Idle improved a bit, it's still a little eratic if it's left idling for a long time, but I think it's probably nothing to worry about. it runs fine and there's no other faults so I'll leave it alone for the time being.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Hi everbody out there with MAF sensor problems. All you need to buy is the insert for the flow meter. Approx £30-40 from Andrew Pages Or NPA. Pt.# PAS 25702. It also fits Vauxhall BMW etc. The inserts are nearly all the same just different shaped connecters. We fit them all the time for many of our customers on various makes and models without problems. Save your selves some money!
0of0

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanw View Post
Hi everbody out there with MAF sensor problems. All you need to buy is the insert for the flow meter. Approx £30-40 from Andrew Pages Or NPA. Pt.# PAS 25702. It also fits Vauxhall BMW etc. The inserts are nearly all the same just different shaped connecters. We fit them all the time for many of our customers on various makes and models without problems. Save your selves some money!
Well, that is one of the rare 'good' reports I have read about fitting non Bosch MAFs

Mostly folk report adverse affects when fitting these items

I assume they stand the test of time?

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-nom-nom View Post
Well, that is one of the rare 'good' reports I have read about fitting non Bosch MAFs

Mostly folk report adverse affects when fitting these items

I assume they stand the test of time?
We have never had a failure . Dozens fitted to BMW. G.M. Alfa.Etc. Only comments we get are thanks from customers for saving them money! My own 156 V-6 has one fitted.They are made by PRO+POWER. We have never had problems with any of their products.
AO Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

147 JTD Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanw View Post
We have never had a failure . Dozens fitted to BMW. G.M. Alfa.Etc. Only comments we get are thanks from customers for saving them money! My own 156 V-6 has one fitted.They are made by PRO+POWER. We have never had problems with any of their products.
Got a link to pro+power ?
Thanks
AO Member

Hi, Sorry I dont have a link.We buy them from our motor factor suppliers. Andrew Pages and NPA. Both have nation wide outlets I believe. Or try Euro Car Parts.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
fault , gtv , maf , question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page