Changing standard airbox to K & N on 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 09-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Changing standard airbox to K & N on 156

I recently had my 156 serviced at Alfatech in Huddersfield (good guys) and he said that my air box was knackered and so he couldn't change the air filter - he knocked 20 off too!!

Recommended i just swap it for a K&N jobby, but have seen loads of posts on here saying they're good, there bad etc etc.

The screws in my current air box will just shear off if i try to change it and i can't afford a new one so im a bit

Please share your wisdom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Worth trying a breaker ... AutoLusso, AlfaCity, etc. Or contact the peeps on ebay breaking a 156 and see if they have a good (better) one.

Alternatively if you can, take the air filter box out and soak the screws in plus-gas for a day or two. Then carefully try and remove them ... they may still break unfortunately, but with it out you have a better chance to fix it.
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
Ive ran both K&N 57i induction kits and panel filters in standard boxes, both with same mods to the same car (Corsa) on a rolling road, the 57i kit had a couple of bhp more, but there were dips and peaks in the torque curve all over the place. The K&N panel gave better overall results, even better if you can get a better air inlet pipe from the front of the car to the airbox and remove any restrictive pipes in the airbox. The best idea would be something like a pipercross viper I would have thought, depends if you want a smooth drive or more noise to be honest, I would have thought the same would apply to the alfa as to my vauxhalls previous. A lot of it has to do with heat soak, the induction kits just suck in hot air after a while, especially in traffic, a 2.0 would feel like a 1.4!
(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 12-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks guys,

Well I took a punt yesterday and fitted my shiny new cone filter. Looking at the original air box one of the screws had sheared off and it looks like it had warped as there was a 5mm opening where it should have been flush

I've only driven the car with the new filter on for about 40 miles or so so far but its all good. Nice sound - especially in 2nd & 3rd gear and the car feels a bit more responsive too. I am however going to reserve judgement for a couple of weeks as i'm probably being biased with it being new and all
AO Member

Garage
You might not be able to feel the varrying torque curve, its only very slight. The car also if the same as Vauxhalls has to get used to it to get the most out of it, probably a couple of taks of petrol before the ECU learns. Know what you mean about thhe sound, its very adictive!
Ajr
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 V6

i wonder if resetting ur ecu will help learn the engine to run smoother ?
(Post Link) post #7 of 12 Old 16-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

I've found that the engine is a lot less lumpy now ive changed the filter, so might not need to reset ecu
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
Had exactly the same problem on my 156. The air box bolts were knackered and the box was cracked.

Fitted a 57i and sounds awesome, much better than exhaust noise imo.

I'd recommend putting the filter lower in the engine bay to the right hand side to avoid the exhaust manifold.

Here is the pipe i made:

AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8 TS Lusso

My airbox was knackered a while ago, got it replaced and was thinking of getting a K&N. After hearing all the heatsoak stories i had a GTA intake pipe fitted instead. Must say it sounds great and I think its more than loud enough. May be a cheaper ooption?

Would the induction kit be much louder than the GTA intake mod and offer better performance?
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 17-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Laptop matt - looks I used the original pipe so the filter sits just below the fan relays, thats low enough isn't it??

Before i changed the filter I had already done the GTA mod, but i definately like this better
sergioq

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis3j View Post
Laptop matt - looks I used the original pipe so the filter sits just below the fan relays, thats low enough isn't it??

Before i changed the filter I had already done the GTA mod, but i definately like this better
When you say GTA Mod, what do you mean? I'm a bit of a novice at tuning but would love a new air filter or induction kit for my 2.oTs 156

(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 28-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

The Gta mod is where you replace the resonator box (attached to the air box to the right - looks like another airbox really) with a GTA intake pipe. I bought my pipe from an Alfa main dealer for about 15

There may well be a thread with pictures on but not sure

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , airbox , changing , standard

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page