Twin Turbo 1.9 JTD Engines - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Closed Thread

(Post Link) post #1 of 64 Old 07-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Twin Turbo 1.9 JTD Engines

I found this on GM's website regarding the twin turbo 1.9 diesel unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM
Depending on the development objective, the twin-turbo can be designed either for high performance or for maximum efficiency in its consumption of fuel. Compared with a naturally aspirated diesel engine, power outputs can be raised by up to 50 percent without increasing fuel consumption. Alternatively, consumption can be reduced by as much as a quarter without loss of power. Opel has chosen the first route for the 1.9 CDTI twin-turbo engine used in the Vectra OPC study. This high-tech engine delivers a peak power output of 156 kW (212 hp) from just 1.9 liters displacement. The resulting specific power output of 82 kW (112 hp) per liter is a world record, not matched by any turbo-diesel in a standard production car.

Two-stage turbocharging combined with the latest common-rail fuel supply, variable multi-stage fuel injection and twin charge-air intercoolers provide the increase in power and the maximum torque of 400 Nm, which is available over a wide engine-speed range from 1400 to 3600 rpm. With this engine the Vectra OPC accelerates from 0 to 100 in 6.5 seconds; the top speed is an electronically regulated 250 km/h. At 6.0 liters per 100 km in the European test cycle, fuel consumption is at the same low level as the production
1.9 CDTI units, and like these the twin-turbo engine can be fitted with a maintenance-free diesel particulate filter (DPF) that works without additives. Exhaust emissions already comply with the Euro 4 standard for new vehicles registered after January 1, 2006.
Hopefully this will come through to newer Alfa's

Original Article is quite old and the engines took a while to come to market but I believe were first seen in the latest version of SAAB 9-3 about a year ago although in a detuned version. a la wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikidudes
1.9 Twin Turbo

Engine cover of Lancia Deltas 1.9 TT Multijet.Fiat Powertrain Technologies released information about new twin stage turbo (twin turbo) version of this engine in summer 2007, engine is available with two power levels, first one is producing 180 PS (178 hp/132 kW) and second one 190 PS (187 hp/140 kW), both have a maximum torque output of 400 Nm (295 lbft) at 2000 rpm. 180 PS version production started summer 2007. The engine weighs approximately 185 kilograms (410 lb). This engine will be sold both to Fiat Group Automobiles and other brands, but the 190 PS (140 kW; 187 hp) version is reserved only to Fiat Group Automobiles.
Original story from GM shows the tuning potential though.

Last edited by GhostyDog; 07-07-09 at 07:23. Reason: better title more clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
185kg... heavy MF...

so a 2.4 is well over 200 kg....
AO Gold Member

This is old news GhostyDog

The planned Alfa Romeo version of the twin turbo 1.9 JTDm, rated at 189bhp, has been ditched in favour of the new 2.0 JTDm rated at 170bhp. However there will be a twin turbo version of this at 220bhp
AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire
But it's still a diesel

AO Gold Member

It is a diesel, but it will be a very interesting diesel.

Put it this way, you may enjoy your 1.8 TS engine, and I certainly enjoy my 2.0 TS engine, but most of the current Alfa diesels will obliterate all the TS engines all day long, and the new versions at 170 and 220 bhp will most definitely urinate all over these old petrol engines without giving any thought to it whatsoever
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider95 View Post

Put it this way, you may enjoy your 1.8 TS engine, and I certainly enjoy my 2.0 TS engine, but most of the current Alfa diesels will obliterate all the TS engines all day long, and the new versions at 170 and 220 bhp will most definitely urinate all over these old petrol engines without giving any thought to it whatsoever
Oooooh, trust me, I know this I was just prodding
AO Member

County: Durham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider95 View Post

Go on then... Sharp stick in hand I'll prod too hehehe!
It's all about Learning to use a twiny's powerband a bit better Still waiting for a JTD to blow me away... Lord knows my bro in law keeps tryin with his 2.4 still fails miserably and then comes up with the excuse "oh I can't understand it, mine feels much quicker than your's???" I say "so does that mean it should be then?"
I've tried to explain the difference between torque and power, but like many diesel driver's... they... and he... just don't get it!
Just becuase it feels that it can pull well doesn't mean it actually does.
Personally i think a twin turbo is a pointless exercise.... But what do I know? Alfa now putting small capacity turbo lumps in their cars (MiTo) It's Death of a beautiful engine/exhaust note that Alfa have been famous for many years... It beats stonking along pumping out black smoke any day

Yessssss! Nero black, Black momo leather, sunroof and air con in a 156 2.0 twin spark..... = Heaven, pure heaven

Anyone can give advice on cars like "replace this part, replace that"... Start with the simplest solution and then work your way through it logically... Its a hell of a lot easier and cheaper!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny v6 View Post
... It beats stonking along pumping out black smoke any day
Amen, hallelujah!
AO Gold Member

Quote:
It beats stonking along pumping out black smoke any day
Strangely, my 156 Sport doesn't pump out any black smoke at all, strange eh

But you can't live in the past I'm afraid, or rather the Eurocrats won't let you anyway. Truth is you need to look to the future, and just keep in perspective the museum technology you're driving around in at the moment. No harm in that, although if you wish to take the museum route, I think the old 8v TS engine was a far far better engine than the recent TS 16v engine. Ironically, the new turbo petrols are bettering the characteristic of those old warhorses, more low down torque and better still with multi-valve technology in the upper registers.

Now where is my flame suit?
AO Member

County: Durham
Yeah... I know what you mean m8... Give it 5 years and we will all be driving round in tiny 0.99 ltr turbo's with Alfa badges That's if the government get their way... Its already started really... Fiat making the 500, Alfa with the MiTo, "That there London" with its congestion charge... Road tax bands! Petrol prices, again on the rise".... And now... The scrappage bonus thing! It's only a matter of time

They can have my Twinny when they can prise my cold dead fingers off the steering wheel first! Until then... I'm keeping the faith and being as anti social as possible!
AO Member

County: Essex
yea u no ronny v6 even if a diesel is quicker whos wants to drive 1, strictly twinnie
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
Don't get me wrong I love my 155 twinny! But my 156 jtd m pi**es all over it when it comes to foot down acceleration and yet they are almost the same BHP. Its all about the foot pounds!! However the sound of the 16v means that the 155 is still my favorite.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
I wouldn't drive a diesel if it had 1000bhp and did 1000mpg
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny v6 View Post
Go on then... Sharp stick in hand I'll prod too hehehe!
It's all about Learning to use a twiny's powerband a bit better Still waiting for a JTD to blow me away... Lord knows my bro in law keeps tryin with his 2.4 still fails miserably and then comes up with the excuse "oh I can't understand it, mine feels much quicker than your's???" I say "so does that mean it should be then?"
I've tried to explain the difference between torque and power, but like many diesel driver's... they... and he... just don't get it!
Just becuase it feels that it can pull well doesn't mean it actually does.
Personally i think a twin turbo is a pointless exercise.... But what do I know? Alfa now putting small capacity turbo lumps in their cars (MiTo) It's Death of a beautiful engine/exhaust note that Alfa have been famous for many years... It beats stonking along pumping out black smoke any day

It's an old topic but still I couldn't resist it. I hope the author of this post reads it.
Your brother failing in beating doesn't mean all JTD's will fail, right? Well i'm the JTD that can blow you away and any alfa V6 engine up to 200hp Alfa Romeo 166 2.4 JTD vs Alfa Romeo 145 QV Black Rematch 2 - YouTube
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

It would seem to me that the long term ownership costs of any turbo charged, common rail diesel engine are so high that these engined vehicles will be in the banger money lists so soon that even Alfisti will faint with horror. Long live the Alfa petrol engine; change the oil, filter and cambelt when scheduled plus an infrequent plug change and you can have 200,000 miles of pleasure.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggy8888 View Post
It would seem to me that the long term ownership costs of any turbo charged, common rail diesel engine are so high that these engined vehicles will be in the banger money lists so soon that even Alfisti will faint with horror. Long live the Alfa petrol engine; change the oil, filter and cambelt when scheduled plus an infrequent plug change and you can have 200,000 miles of pleasure.
And if you're running a T.S. engine don't forget to buy 8 expensive spark plugs instead of the usual 4 like on a normal petrol engine, much higher consumption which u can save on a JTD engine and dont forget to change your variator that is usually broken on most T.S. engines. Not to mention the possibility of blowing up the engine while driving at t 127mp/h for more than 5 min. Real pleasure for a 17 second car indeed.

Last edited by John_Connor; 12-02-12 at 10:35.
(Post Link) post #17 of 64 Old 12-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Who gives a ****, different people want different thngs from their cars, just enjoy them
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Connor View Post
And if you're running a T.S. engine don't forget to buy 8 expensive spark plugs instead of the usual 4 like on a normal petrol engine, much higher consumption which u can save on a JTD engine and dont forget to change your variator that is usually broken on most T.S. engines. Not to mention the possibility of blowing up the engine while driving at t 127mp/h for more than 5 min. Real pleasure for a 17 second car indeed.
Ohhhh errr what a moany michael. The sparks are pricey if you know where to buy them.

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Ohhhh errr what a moany michael. The sparks are pricey if you know where to buy them.
How about getting a JTD engine and never think about them spark plugs? There's a reason for the JTD engine still being in production and T.S. NOT.
AO Member

Quote:
It's an old topic but still I couldn't resist it. I hope the author of this post reads it.
Your brother failing in beating doesn't mean all JTD's will fail, right? Well i'm the JTD that can blow you away and any alfa V6 engine up to 200hp Alfa Romeo 166 2.4 JTD vs Alfa Romeo 145 QV Black Rematch 2 - YouTube

Jesus sack the film crew I feel sick now lol
Damien_C

Quote:
How about getting a JTD engine and never think about them spark plugs? There's a reason for the JTD engine still being in production and T.S. NOT.
Emm, the JTD engine isn't being produced anymore if you look at it well the original 1.9 unit as far as I am aware, it is the new 2l engine is. The TS is a great engine but it's showing it's age now compared to modern units but considering it was something where its design can be traced back to the 60's and the fact one of the all time greats in engine design, designed it, the engine had held it's own for a very long time. I'm sure you knew all this already but I think you should go back under the rock where you came from.

AO Member

Member car:

Fiat-GM collaboration made in Poland.....................but it has an Alfa Romeo badge
AO Gold Member

So glad this thread was resurrected
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
Quote:
Emm, the JTD engine isn't being produced anymore if you look at it well the original 1.9 unit as far as I am aware, it is the new 2l engine is. The TS is a great engine but it's showing it's age now compared to modern units but considering it was something where its design can be traced back to the 60's and the fact one of the all time greats in engine design, designed it, the engine had held it's own for a very long time. I'm sure you knew all this already but I think you should go back under the rock where you came from.
the 2.0 is only a bored out 1.9... like the 1.6 TS is a bored/stroked out 1.4...
AO Member

Quote:
JTD no longer being produced? Uhm... Are you serious? You ever heard of JTDm? ...
T.S. was never one of the greatest designs. C20XE could be called that.. Not T.S.
How about I put your slow car under my wheels and then you hide under a rock? Go buy yourself a car with a real engine.

Example how your great 1.6 TS would look in my rear view mirror: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKR-F44sPUQ

Last edited by John_Connor; 17-02-12 at 10:27.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engines , jtd , turbo , twin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page