Mobil synt s 5w40 for 2.4 Jtdm - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 29-06-09 Thread Starter

County: -
Mobil synt s 5w40 for 2.4 Jtdm

Hello,

Me and my baby are running towards the 30k km and our 1st service.
As we all know all the fiat corp works "only" with selenia, which has, in my opinion prices, somebody (ergo the dealer) is screwing everyone over and over IMHO (the price is 3x higher than anyother good branded oil)

...sooo, I have a posibility of getting the Mobil synt s 5w40 almost for free or paying 97eur for 6L of selenia at our local alfa dealer.

I have checked the mobils specs and it is rated as a great oil and it even has 19% of ESTER (Ester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), which I believe selenia has under 10% (cant find any tests confirming that)

so my question to you is; has anyone tried anything else than selenia on your JtdMs ???
How is it working out?

I also have a possibilty of getting the castrols Edge TD 5W-40 or Valvoline Synpower 5w40 but I believe that mobil has just better oil.

...when i mentioned my dealer that I will bring my own oil he first said that I would have VOID warranty because of that, later on he offered me 20% discount on selenia!!!

Please post your expirience/ opinion.

Thank you!
M

edit:
i forgot, the specs:
http://www.mobil.com/Poland-English/...nt_S_5W-40.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
I ve used Halfords Fully Synthetic 5W40 in 3 Fiat Tipo 1.9 TDs (earlier, not common rail version of JTD engines), a 156 2.4 JTD 10v and a 147 !.9 JTD Mjet 16v with no probs at all. It meets BMW, Mercedes, Porsche and VW 505 for TDI PD engines (very high spec cos of the unit injectors). Its obviously not made by Halfords, just sold by them, so way cheaper than Mobil. I personally wouldnnt pay the rip off prices of the major brands, but if you can get Mobil cheap go for it!
AO Member

hi i have used on customers cars and my own
a supurb oil MOTUL 300V 15/50 the only oil i would use in either diesel or petrol sports cars
it is vegatable and seed based blended with 100% ester does not break down in temperatures above 140c perfect for high load turbo .
why did prodrive use it on there rally subaru?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m789 View Post
I also have a possibilty of getting the castrols Edge TD 5W-40 or Valvoline Synpower 5w40 but I believe that mobil has just better oil.
Your milage can vary but Castrol is way much better oil than Mobil. The Mobil is masterpiece of marketing. And it is based on over 15 years of building racing engines. If you want a ultimate oil for your engine - buy Castrol TWS. It is quite expencive but you get what you paid.
Jan
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaninnya View Post
... If you want a ultimate oil for your engine - buy Castrol TWS. It is quite expencive but you get what you paid.
Jan
But it is a 10W60 and the JTD use a 5W40...
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
But it is a 10W60 and the JTD use a 5W40...
Yeah, that doesnt sound good, its ok to use a lower W number oil, but not a higher one
AO Member

County: Western Australia
Garage

Member car:

2011 Mito QV

a higher number is a thicker oil more able to deal with thermal stress but will cause more losses in the engine. every day stop start thin oil for fuel economy thats it, thats the only reason that new cars have thin oil. thicker oils for gunning the nuts of it for 4 hours solid.
AO Member

no it isnt the lower number is there because of modern tolerances and and hydraulic tappets
most engine manufactures are returning to solid lifters and shims,
they have pushed oil development along with engine design
they have increased service length but engines are are built to use about 1litre per 1000 miles so u top up in between put a thicker grade oil in it wont use that litre, it is protection you are after any oil changed regularly will do the job but we all have our preferences some know a little some no a lot,
an amazing question to ask on a forum "wich oil"
AO Silver Member

Agree with the first bit alfablck, but the rest is just not true.

No road engine is designed to use a litre of oil per 1000 miles, thats ridiculous. And you cant use just any oil, you have to use common sense-you could for instance use an 0W instead of 5W as it will give better protection from cold cos its nice and thin as sooon as you start the engine, but if you use say, an oil with a second number of 60 when you should use 30 it will be way to thick once its warmed and the engine wont run very well or something might even fail.
AO Gold Member

Yes I would stick with 5w40. And I don't understand about scrimping a few quid on any oil over Selenia. Just had the service done and Selenia cost only 30 odd - what the hell difference does that make over 12,000 miles or 12months?

Honestly, the way people get so 'anal' over a few pounds, particuarly if they begin to cut corners on oil with their Alfa Romeo, just makes me laugh
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
it's not about cutting costs with me, Selenia is far from the best oil for my (and your) Alfa!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider95 View Post
Yes I would stick with 5w40. And I don't understand about scrimping a few quid on any oil over Selenia. Just had the service done and Selenia cost only 30 odd - what the hell difference does that make over 12,000 miles or 12months?

Honestly, the way people get so 'anal' over a few pounds, particuarly if they begin to cut corners on oil with their Alfa Romeo, just makes me laugh
Lol, Fiat and Selenia want you to think that so you buy their oil-its nothing more than a marketing ploy-They try and make out the best oil is Selenia and anything else is not treating your car right. This is complete rubbish-Car manufacturers tried this with warranties (they said warranties were invalid unless cars were serviced by a main dealer), but the EU soon stopped them (warranties are STILL valid if serviced by a reputable non dealer). Selenia oil is ok, but you can get better oils for less. Theres no way NOT using Selenia can be described as "cutting corners on your Alfa"

Honestly, the way people fall for manufacturer's marketing ploys, just makes me laugh

Last edited by typos1; 14-07-09 at 13:38.

I just got my 159 1.9 jtdm 16v n also worried about Selenia coz just had my remap done, it's just marketing, so everyone knows that the best oil is Mobil 1, they re the guru of motosport world, never really heard of Selenia in motosports. My car is at 57500 km n will go to service at 60k and I'm gonna take my Mobil 1 with me (my warranty has just expired anyway)
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
Lol, Fiat and Selenia want you to think that so you buy their oil-its nothing more than a marketing ploy-They try and make out the best oil is Selenia and anything else is not treating your car right. This is complete rubbish-Car manufacturers tried this with warranties (they said warranties were invalid unless cars were serviced by a main dealer), but the EU soon stopped them (warranties are STILL valid if serviced by a reputable non dealer). Selenia oil is ok, but you can get better oils for less. Theres no way NOT using Selenia can be described as "cutting corners on your Alfa"

Honestly, the way people fall for manufacturer's marketing ploys, just makes me laugh
No falling for manufacturer's marketing plots here either. My Alfa was serviced at a main dealer and that's the oil they used. But that's not the point I was making typos, as you very well know
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
but if you use say, an oil with a second number of 60 when you should use 30 it will be way to thick once its warmed and the engine wont run very well or something might even fail.
It is viscosity and it is not strictly related to how "thick" the oil is. It is not simple at all, but in very short way - it is at how high temperatures the oil can hold the parameters.
But I'm not going to start another discusion. As someone mentioned, let everyone use the oil which he want. During normal driving it still will be far from disaster even if oil distributors are telling something opposite.
Jan
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa159-TR View Post
I just got my 159 1.9 jtdm 16v n also worried about Selenia coz just had my remap done, it's just marketing, so everyone knows that the best oil is Mobil 1, they re the guru of motosport world
Re Mobil 1, hmmmm, that would also be falling for marketing...
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider95 View Post
No falling for manufacturer's marketing plots here either. My Alfa was serviced at a main dealer and that's the oil they used. But that's not the point I was making typos, as you very well know
Um, I m sorry but I dont know what point you were trying to make, if the one you appeared to be making wasnt the one you wanted to make, what was it??

Any oil the meets the required standards set out by Fiat is ok to use, from MOBIL 1 at one end to Halfords at the other. As long as it meets the required spec it will in no way damage any Alfa

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
5w40 , jtdm , mobil , synt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page