Is it "normal" for a 2.0 TS to run cool? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 12-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Auckland
Hmmm Is it "normal" for a 2.0 TS to run cool?

My '02 147 2.0 Twin Spark is running very cool, and it's winter over here in NZ which is just compounding the issue.
The temperature never goes above 90C but it does drop at speed. In the recent cold snap, about 1C outside, it dropped to just above 50C.

I've had a couple of quotes for replacement, not cheap. However I have just had an e-mail from the main Alfa service centre in Auckland who tell me that it is quite normal. This surprises me somewhat. Especially as they could get another hours labour on the bill.

Are they right? Is this nothing to be worried about in the 2.0 TS? Any help is appreciated because right now I'm pretty confused. And if I don't have to spend $200 - $300 I'm not going to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
its common ... but not normal, sounds like your stat is dead, they cost about £30 for a TS and take about 10 mins to fit ...
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 12-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Auckland
I didn't think it would be normal. Annoyingly parts are quite a bit more expensive over here. I've been quoted $220 + tax (£95) for the part from the main dealer.
I did see MPHs guide to changing the thermostat,
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/engin...ml#post1697678
It doesn't look too complicated so I'll probably do it myself. Think I better start shopping around for the part though.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian147 View Post
I didn't think it would be normal. Annoyingly parts are quite a bit more expensive over here. I've been quoted $220 + tax (£95) for the part from the main dealer.
It doesn't look too complicated so I'll probably do it myself. Think I better start shopping around for the part though.
couldn't you get it shipped over from the UK ... ebspares deliver all over the world I think ...

send an e-mail to [email protected]

he'll gladly ship one to you
also supply him with last 8 digit sof VIN to be certain of getting the right one.

its approx 30 min's work, you'll need a few jubilee clips [ different sizes ] & 2 litres of coolant.
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian147 View Post
Hey there,

Cool to see another Akl'er on here... there are a few of us now..

Try these guys: Haddon Lock <[email protected]> for the thermo.

also if you need a good workshop let me know... I use a member of the AROC NZ who has a indie Alfa workshop (cheaper and better than Alfa) super good rep.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cool , normal , run

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page