The sound of the Twin Spark - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 38 Old 04-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

None yet

The sound of the Twin Spark

I've always wondered what gives the FIRE-based 16V Twin Spark its lovely roar when it's pushed hard. There's the initial burble and cammy ticking at idle, at least on the 2 liter, and then beyond 4000 rpm the engine sounds like it's taken a huge gulp of air. Past 6000 rpm the sound hardens to a gorgeous metallic roar... wicked

I'm thinking of changing to a decatted header, removing the pre-cats while keeping the main cat. Would this change the noise coming from up front or would it balance it out with more noise from the rear? I'd rather not sound like a chavved-up Civic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by zambugsky View Post
I've always wondered what gives the FIRE-based 16V Twin Spark its lovely roar when it's pushed hard. There's the initial burble and cammy ticking at idle, at least on the 2 liter, and then beyond 4000 rpm the engine sounds like it's taken a huge gulp of air. Past 6000 rpm the sound hardens to a gorgeous metallic roar... wicked

I'm thinking of changing to a decatted header, removing the pre-cats while keeping the main cat. Would this change the noise coming from up front or would it balance it out with more noise from the rear? I'd rather not sound like a chavved-up Civic
I am not sure how they got it to sound like it does, but it is certainly one of the best if not the best sounding inline 4 cylinder engine fitted to a car.

The only thing I can say is that if you modify the exhaust and induction that is generally what you will hear instead, not the engine itself. Although just removing the Pre-cats should affect it too much as long as you keep the rest of the exhaust the same.

By the way, the 1.2 16V FIRE engine in my Bravo sounds nothing like a TS, it sounds ok, but it isn't really in the same league noise wise.

Whatever Alfa did they did something special.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
AO Member

County: Herefordshire
2 words

MAD ITALIANS
Darren156

It is a great sounding engine, I've had both the 156 2 Litre Twinny and the GTV 2 Litre Twinny, both sounded superb,

AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
I think the pre cats do have a muted effect on the exhaust system. I have heard pre 01 twinys and they definately sound more raspy than my twiny with pre cats. I want mine to have that italian raspy sound but not too noisy. Very difficult to achieve it seems as most exhaust systems and back boxes are too noisy for my liking. And bloody expensive as well.
Darren156

My GTV was a 1997 model and sounded AMAZING when pushed. Did 130MPH in that car once and she LOVED it!!!

AO Member

County: Torfaen

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

I too love the noise of my 145qv, especially with my stainless system. Sounds monsterous, especially at the more "spirited" speeds
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

I think the variator and varible length manifold contribute a lot to the sound. The changes in the sound seem to occur at switchover points like a VTEC.
Smallville

Well I love the sounds of mine, I dont have a variator and it still sounds sweet

AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by machvingtsun View Post
I think the variator and varible length manifold contribute a lot to the sound. The changes in the sound seem to occur at switchover points like a VTEC.
the variable inlet manifold is barely noticable really, my 155 TS souded the nuts and that had the older fixed aluminium manifold
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

heres mine, its an old vid as its currently off the road.

PS sorry for the bad camera angle, it was a trial run of the camera

155 test vid video by explosive-alfa - Photobucket
AO Platinum Member

The noise of the TS has to be caused by the combination of the cam timing, the speed at which the valves open/close, and the exhaust/inlet port shapes.

IIRC one inlet valves opens very slightly before the other, and this might help give the engine its characteristic sound.

I know that the inlet manifolds probably don't make any difference, as fixed and variable manifold versions sound similar.

Also CF1/2 and CF3 versions sound pretty similar so that rules out the exhaust manifolds too..
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Essex
You can listen to my 2.0 twin spark
YouTube - Alfa 145 Exhaust
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby278278 View Post
You can listen to my 2.0 twin spark
YouTube - Alfa 145 Exhaust
Sounds very nice Katy, however even with a standard exhaust the engine sounds brilliant for a 4 cylinder.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh View Post
Sounds very nice Katy, however even with a standard exhaust the engine sounds brilliant for a 4 cylinder.
Oh yes it did sound good before

Now it sounds epic You should see the heads turn going thru built up areas...im like a child
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

'98 2.0 156 SP2

there is some thing abou the twinny that makes it sounds amazing, ive not been in any other 4 cylinder car that sounds quite like it, its that point at about 3k where the note changes and becomes more aggresive, love it and always puts a huge smile on my face!!
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
My car had a gashed up stainless exhaust system on it. I took it back to standard and it actually sounded a lot better because I could enjoy the engine noise again!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbo View Post
My car had a gashed up stainless exhaust system on it. I took it back to standard and it actually sounded a lot better because I could enjoy the engine noise again!
Thats the thing, if you alter the exhaust or the intake, that is what you hear and not the engine.

All inline 4 cylinder cars with sporty exhaust all sound pretty much the same.
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

wait till mine has its one fitted, its going to be kinda err loud

for race purposes

My workhorse Fiat has a FIRE 1.2 16v engine. The basic engine sound is completely different to the TS, but it does sound quite aggressive for a lawnmower engine . Pushing the 1.2 Fiat engine is quite enjoyable, especially at high revs (4K and above).

The 1.2 FIRE has reasonably good low-end torque for a small engine. By stark contrast, the 1.8TS is gutless below 2,500 rpm. The sound of both engines at high revs is good, but the TS is miles better. The TS is also a much nicer sounding engine, overall. At idle revs, the TS makes a beautiful humming/droning sound ... just like a racing car at idle! The 1.2 FIRE makes a very average sound at idle
Damien_C

My 1.4 sounds great Very growly from 2-3k revs and then climbs to being loud up high.

AO Member

County: Herefordshire
ha ha wanna hear my GTV 2.0 with a stainless 2 box system with the decat on, i was on first name terms with the po-lice, mr pc plod loved me ha ha
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

the sound of my 2.0 TS (although it has sports cat and CSC backbox) was greatly altered to give a much more..."Italian" resonance by fitting the wizrdovoz manifold, which i believe has a 2.5" downpipe(after collector) compared to the standard 2.25" one...
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
My 1.4 sounds great Very growly from 2-3k revs and then climbs to being loud up high.

Very true, the 1.4 and 1.6 units in my opinion sound the best of the 4 pots, the 2 litre the worst.

Its the cylinder head design and the inlets/ exhausts that maketh the noise you hear, as all angines are basically air pumps at the end of the day.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj romeo View Post
Very true, the 1.4 and 1.6 units in my opinion sound the best of the 4 pots, the 2 litre the worst.

Its the cylinder head design and the inlets/ exhausts that maketh the noise you hear, as all angines are basically air pumps at the end of the day.
They all have the same cylinder heads though.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
sound , spark , twin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page