Engine Swap - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 31-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

Engine Swap

Hi,

My current employer (Mike2909 ) has a CF2-engined R-reg 156 2.0TS, and a CF3-engined Y-reg 156 2.0TS sportwagon.

The sportwagon has failed big-end bearings. I've never heard a din like it, so it's more than likely got crankshaft damage and piston/head damage.

So....the plan is to put the CF2 into the SW. What's the best way to go about swapping the engines? I hear that dropping them out of the bottom is easier than lifting them out of the top. Is there room to do this without removing the subframe? Can the gearbox stay attached?

I'll obviously keep the CF3 manifolds in the SW, but does anyone have a list of what sensors will need to be taken from the CF3 and put in the CF2?

Both cars are manuals, by the way.

Cheers,

Iain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Worcestershire
There are only 3 sensors on the block itself, crank, cam and a n other that I can't think of at the mo, all 3 are the same on both CF2 and CF3 so there shouldn't be any issues. I can't say whether getting out the top or bottom is easier, I did it out the bottom out of nessessity (no engine hoist) and whilst it wasn't easy I managed it alone and didn't need to remove the subframe. You will need to jack the car up quite high to pull it out and it is easier with the wheel hub + suspension removed from the side you intend to remove it from (but doable with it intact). I did mine with the gearbox attached and removed the gearbox once i'd pulled it free of the car.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
I generally drop engine and box out the bottom after lifting the front of the car up, but I'm usually breaking them, so stripping most of the front end anyway. with a good engine hoist it will come out of the top, however.

As far as sensors are concerned, I think the cam sensor (behind the exhaust cam sprocket) has a different plug connector on the CF2 compared to CF3...think all the others - crank sensor, lambda, anti-knock are interchangeable.....
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 31-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwm View Post
As far as sensors are concerned, I think the cam sensor (behind the exhaust cam sprocket) has a different plug connector on the CF2 compared to CF3...think all the others - crank sensor, lambda, anti-knock are interchangeable.....
The cam sensor is one of the few things that seems to have never changed! I put a CF2 one in a CF3 at the weekend. Same part number on eper and everything

Shocked, I was!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , swap

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page