1.6ts Vs 2.0 Ts - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 21-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

1.6ts Vs 2.0 Ts

Afternoon chaps and ladies....

I have been fortunate enough to try both of these engines, my feedback is below (from my 145 1.6 TS to my 145 cloverleaf).

Thought you may be interested. Also interested to hear your views/experiences on both engines.

Just after some feedback on both engines if youv'e driven them.

I've noticed that the engines seem quite different in a lot of ways..

1. The 2.0 Pulls a lot harder higher up the rev range ie 6k+.. is this due to different camshafts?

2. The 2.0 sounds far raspier and "fruitier"(for want of a better word) than the 1.6, whereas the 1.6 had more engine sound than exhaust.

3. The economy on both engines varies a lot more than I expected. I averaged about 35-38MPG on my 1.6, the QV averages about 29MPG (both doing the same journey 80%mway @ about 80ish MPH)

4. Overall the 2.0 offers a far more relaxed drive with more torque.

5. Both engines are great fun and love to be revved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Re: 1.6ts Vs 2.0 Ts

1.8 is the best of the bunch because thats the size of engine they designed, the others were modifed versions of the 1.8. For me the 1.6 is too down on power and the 2.0 doesn't offer enough extra power over the 2.0 (although it is a bit more torquey lower in the rev range). Plus they had to bodge in some balance shafts to make it smooth enough which just adds something extra to break and and extra cost come cambelt time.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Give me the 2 litre.

Even that's a bit underpowered in most Alfa's IMO.
AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire

1.8 is the one for me.... sounds bootiful
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

147 1.6T-Spark

2litre definitely a kick-up in power. Thing is, the 1.6 doesn't seem to offer a big economy pay-back, and you still need to cane it to make good progress. Fact is no Alfa engine is truly economical (compared to best in class) so i reckon it makes sense to go for power over limited economy gains
AO Silver Member

County: Denbighshire

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamonk View Post
2litre definitely a kick-up in power. Thing is, the 1.6 doesn't seem to offer a big economy pay-back, and you still need to cane it to make good progress. Fact is no Alfa engine is truly economical (compared to best in class) so i reckon it makes sense to go for power over limited economy gains
Amen to that
AO Member

County: Worcestershire

Thing is for that arguement its V6 all the way. Much much better engine, builtproof reliablity, fantastic sounds and plenty of torque and power. If your going to go Twin-spark (because of running costs or insurance etc) get the 1.8 otherwise it HAS to be a V6.
AO Member

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

I've never driven a 2.0 litre, would be interesting to see whats different compared to my modded 1.6 though.
I assume the torque is much better/usable, i find my 1.6 quite low on torque but from 3500 rpm onwards it shifts!

Also I cant get insured on a 2.0 litre at 18 yo so its the 1.6 for now.
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 23-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

Interesting comments there, cheers. I didn't realise the 1.8 was the original TS.

Has anyone been in a 1.8 and a 2.0TS? Do these sound much different?

Agree with the v6 comments, my next car will be powered by the proper Alfa V6, either 147 GTA or a GTV V6!!
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

From what I could tell the 1.8 and 2.0 sound pretty much the same..

The cylinder heads, inlet and exhaust manifolds are the same, so you would expect them to.

The 1.8 revs a bit more freely, but requires more gearchanging.

The 16V TS 2 litre block, is quite similar in design to the 2 litre Lampredi Fiat/Lancia unit, but unfortunately it is less robust.

I can see the argument of may as well go for the bigger engine too as even the 4 cylinders are not that economical, but it isn't that simple, the V6 doesn't handle as well as the 4 cylinder cars.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscione View Post
Interesting comments there, cheers. I didn't realise the 1.8 was the original TS.

Has anyone been in a 1.8 and a 2.0TS? Do these sound much different?

Agree with the v6 comments, my next car will be powered by the proper Alfa V6, either 147 GTA or a GTV V6!!

Having owned a 2.0ts before my current 1.8ts im in a pretty good position to comment.
Both cars were 156's so its a good comparison.
I have no regrets down sizing to the 1.8, it sounds the same and the power difference is only really noticeable lower down the rev range.
But the 1.8 revs harder probably due to the different gearing so does not feel so lazy and it feels more spirited than the 2.0.
The fuel economy is much better. i average 32mpg and i don't drive like miss daisy where in the 2.0 i would say i was probably averaging 26 to 28mpg.
On the motorway you can get it to about 42mpg which is pretty good for long distance driving.
you really are hard pushed to really notice the difference in power with normal driving.
It only really becomes apparent when accelerating hard from 70mph+ in a high gear. then you notice the difference in torque.
And the 1.8ts seems to be more reliable than the 2.0ts.
(autolusso don't see half as many 1.8s for a rebuild as they do 2.0's)
You can also get the 1.8ts remaped which will give it better bhp and torque figures than the 2.0ts but with much better fuel economy.
So my final conclusion is for everyday driving and fuel economy etc i would take the 1.8 every time.
As for the 1.6.
I cant really comment. But probably to under powered for the 156 but adequate for the 147.

Oh both cars were the cf3 variant. 150bhp for the 2.0ts and 140bhp for the 1.8ts.

The 1.8 is also cheaper to work on. the cambelt change is much cheaper for example.
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 24-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

Appreciate all the feedback..

Sounds like the 1.8 is a peach of an engine then , I'll need to get a ride in one sometime!

SW - PM me if you want to meet sometime, i'd be interested to see the difference (if any) in performance between our two cars.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
16ts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page