Overheating Spider TS 16V - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 27-04-09 Thread Starter

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Spider 16v TS

Hmmm Overheating Spider TS 16V

Hello Guys, I need some help!! I have owned a Spider TS 16V for three years. I LOVE it and had no trouble up until four months ago when it started overheating. I had the thermostat changed. It seemed to be OK for a couple of months and then it overheated again. We had to have it relayed home. I then had the radiator changed as it was in poor condition. It still overheats.

However it seems to be random. It can overheat after 10 minutes or the other day, I did 79 miles in heavy traffic on a hot day before it overheated. The gauge stays at normal and then in the space of 20 seconds it will go to hot.

The AA man suggested it could be the impella on the waterpump. He said it could have detached. Does that make sense?? He didn't think it was the head gasket as the hoses were soft and there doesn't seem to be any water in the oil. All hoses are hot and the fans kick in when they should.

Any ideas? Are the water pumps known to cause a problem? Could the new thermostat have been damaged on the second bout of overheating? Plus I noticed that the new thermstat wasn't genuine Alfa. Not being a mechanic - Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Torfaen

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

Re: Overheating Spider TS 16V

If the impellor on the water pump is turning independantly to its drive pulley the water wont circulate effectively back to the header tank. It may be worth getting a sniffer test done to confirm that the headgasket is ok.
AO Platinum Member

It's unlikely that the thermostat is faulty. Not impossible.. but unlikely.

Overheating is caused by any or all of 3 things;

1) Insufficient coolant

2) Coolant not circulating

3) Circulating coolant not being cooled

1) I'd guess you checked the coolant and there's plenty in there. You can bleed the system but the fact that it runs okay sometimes suggests you're alright here.

2) If the coolant isn't whizzing round, then the beast will overheat. If the rad' has an air-bleed screw, let any air out of the radiatore.. though yours runs okay and the hoses aren't hard, so I'd guess bugger-all air will come out.

Thermostat *could* be blocking the flow.. but it's new so we ought to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Water pump impeller whizzing round on its spline is a contender (favourite even) as it can slip or not depending on ambient temperature and how much torque you're putting through it and how much rpm you're using... inconsistent cooling would point to something intermittent and this is the only thing that could be inconsistent.

3) Either the rad is full of gloop or there's a blockage in the bumper slots. Again, your rad' is new so not likely to be full of mud.. and I guess you'd spot some plastic carrier bags wedged into the grille. Also.. it works sometimes, which it wouldn't if you had one of these problems.

I'd swap the water pump fella... but bung new belts/tensioner on there too... they have to come off anyways so you may as well replace them with new ones.. at least you save that job which you would have had to do soon anyway.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 28-04-09 Thread Starter

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Spider 16v TS

Thanks for taking the time to post Ralf. I will get that sorted today. Cheers.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
16v , overheating , spider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page