2.0 TS Idle Drops Dangerously Low With AC On And Speeds Higher Than 30KPH - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Garage
2.0 TS Idle Drops Dangerously Low With AC On And Speeds Higher Than 30KPH

What the title says really. And this only happens with the AC on.

If I depress the clutch to come to a stop while the AC is on and at speeds over 30kph the idle drops the nearly zero before settling regularly. The issue doesn't happen with the AC off at all, and if I slow to under 30kph before depressing the clutch it works just fine.

Any ideas?

I've narrowed it down to either the Q20 four way pressure switch OR the speedo signal that goes into the climate control ECU (Pin B6), and my thought is to cut that wire to see if it fixes it in the hope the climate control ECU defaults to when the car's stationary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

What is the A/C gas pressure?
High gas pressure can cause the compressor to work too hard which may affect engine idle.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Queensland

Member car:

Alfa 156

May I ask if the brakes seem to lose effectiveness at anytime during this? Like you momentarily loose brake boost?
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Have you tried resetting the idle actuator?

Turn on the ignition for 90 secs but do NOT touch the throttle or start the engine.

Turn off ignition for 90 secs

Turn on and start engine but do NOT touch the throttle and leave to idle for a few mins.

The other think to check is the breather pipe that runs to the intake manifold. It's not easy to see but if you take the engine cover off there are two hoses from the cam case: one goes to the intake just before the throttle and the other goes behind the throttle body to the intake. At the end is a plastic valve housing .. the mounting tabs snap and it lets in air at the wrong time which can kill the engine. I don't think you can get new ones now so don't break it!!

Several years ago I had the stalling problem but it wasn't related to the a/c. The valve at the end of that hose had been removed to do some engine work and it was missing a bit .. the valve inside! A new valve sorted it.

cheers, Gary

HIS: ex-1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray. 10th Sep 1998 to 12th Jan 2017

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza82 View Post
Have you tried resetting the idle actuator?

Turn on the ignition for 90 secs but do NOT touch the throttle or start the engine.

Turn off ignition for 90 secs

Turn on and start engine but do NOT touch the throttle and leave to idle for a few mins.

The other think to check is the breather pipe that runs to the intake manifold. It's not easy to see but if you take the engine cover off there are two hoses from the cam case: one goes to the intake just before the throttle and the other goes behind the throttle body to the intake. At the end is a plastic valve housing .. the mounting tabs snap and it lets in air at the wrong time which can kill the engine. I don't think you can get new ones now so don't break it!!

Several years ago I had the stalling problem but it wasn't related to the a/c. The valve at the end of that hose had been removed to do some engine work and it was missing a bit .. the valve inside! A new valve sorted it.
This is really stumping me. The Idle Speed Actuator is fine, my mechanic's tested the actuator on a lift and found absolutely no issues whatsoever. I'm looking into the ABS issue that Marlon had reported on the 156 Twin Spark.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
30kph , dangerously , drops , higher , idle , low , speeds

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page