2.0 TS Idle Drops Dangerously Low With High Electrical Load - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 02-07-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Garage
2.0 TS Idle Drops Dangerously Low With High Electrical Load

I recently replaced my idle speed actuator (and reset it through diagnostics) to cure my idle hunting issue, but now I have another idle issue!

When I've driving around normally, with no lights on, no radio, no AC, when I depress the clutch to come to a stop the idle drops to around 500rpm then comes back to around 800rpm. However, when I turn the AC on the idle drops to nearly zero, the car shudders, the AC compressor cuts out, then bounces back and stabilises very quickly. It's as though the engine hasn't realised I'm still moving and catches it at the last moment.

Any idea what this can be? Without the AC on I believe having the sidelights and headlights on together with the radio are affecting the idle in a similar fashion, but it doesn't drop to near zero.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Oost-Vlaanderen

Member car:

Spider 2005 jts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmanuelb94 View Post
I recently replaced my idle speed actuator (and reset it through diagnostics) to cure my idle hunting issue, but now I have another idle issue!

When I've driving around normally, with no lights on, no radio, no AC, when I depress the clutch to come to a stop the idle drops to around 500rpm then comes back to around 800rpm. However, when I turn the AC on the idle drops to nearly zero, the car shudders, the AC compressor cuts out, then bounces back and stabilises very quickly. It's as though the engine hasn't realised I'm still moving and catches it at the last moment.

Any idea what this can be? Without the AC on I believe having the sidelights and headlights on together with the radio are affecting the idle in a similar fashion, but it doesn't drop to near zero.
Low or almost dead battery? Just guessing!
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 03-07-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afco View Post
Low or almost dead battery? Just guessing!
The battery's brand new :/ The lights and everything works just fine.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
After resetting it on diagnostics did you reset the throttle with the 90 secs on/off routine?
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Get some very effective throttle body cleaner and clean the throttle body. Ideally it should be removed to clean which means Torx40 bits but also Clic-R pliers for removing and refitting the main induction hoses (of approximately 80mm diameter).

Although you are in Malta, the car is older so it is quite possible some main electrical connections have degraded. This could have the effect the alternator is working harder or a lower than ideal voltage can reach electrical components. It could be one or both symptoms. Although this is not for the GTV, look here as I was quite thorough;
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...lts-fixed.html (Strange electrical faults fixed)

Once all that is done as I described, perform a throttle reset if the idle speed is an issue. It may initially be a bit high or still initially a bit low but it should cure the fault.
Make sure and have a good drive after sorting it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
dangerously , drops , electrical , high , idle , load , low

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page