Important 1.6 Twin Spark engine question! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Afco
  • 1 Post By Fruity

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 25-06-19 Thread Starter

County: -
Important 1.6 Twin Spark engine question!

Hello to all Alfa owners out there!
Today as I was doing the weekly checks, I saw something rather interesting. I saw these markings as I was adding a little bit of oil. I am pretty sure i never seen them before and I would like to ask if I should be worried about them. The car runs perfectly fine and it has 390.000kms. It also developed a light ticking sound yesterday as i started it up, but after a while it stopped.
PS: The engine was almost full of oil, there was no need to add in case you think it was low on oil! The car also has new timing belt,oil & oil filter, air filter (1500km). 156 1.6 2002
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190625_180721_1561475883628.jpg (174.3 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by RedAlfa120; 25-06-19 at 16:05.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Oost-Vlaanderen

Member car:

Spider 2005 jts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAlfa120 View Post
Hello to all Alfa owners out there!
Today as I was doing the weekly checks, I saw something rather interesting. I saw these markings as I was adding a little bit of oil. I am pretty sure i never seen them before and I would like to ask if I should be worried about them. The car runs perfectly fine and it has 390.000kms. It also developed a light ticking sound yesterday as i started it up, but after a while it stopped.
PS: The engine was almost full of oil, there was no need to add in case you think it was low on oil! The car also has new timing belt,oil & oil filter, air filter (1500km). 156 1.6 2002
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Take off the valve cover and take a close look at all the component if there is any wear look for small metal parts.
The tikking could be coming from a valve lifter that is not properly oild when the oil is cold...........390000 km is not exatly "as new " :-) you know.
Succes
RedAlfa120 likes this.
AO Member

Mine has a slight exhaust leak that goes when the engine starts to warm up, causes a loud ticking noise. Comes back after being stopped for a few minutes but quickly goes again.

You may just have wear on the cam shafts, may be worth looking for a set fom a 2.0 twinspark, engine will be more responsive or so I hear.
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 30-06-19 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afco View Post
Take off the valve cover and take a close look at all the component if there is any wear look for small metal parts.
The tikking could be coming from a valve lifter that is not properly oild when the oil is cold...........390000 km is not exatly "as new " :-) you know.
Succes
Thank you for the reply! The ticking noice never came back again so I guess you were right about the lifters. As I took a closer look it seems like its not worn a camshaft but more like cleaned carbon as it had an oil change recently (1500km ago). The markings are not violent if you know what i mean. Anyway, thank you again!
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 30-06-19 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukew View Post
Mine has a slight exhaust leak that goes when the engine starts to warm up, causes a loud ticking noise. Comes back after being stopped for a few minutes but quickly goes again.

You may just have wear on the cam shafts, may be worth looking for a set fom a 2.0 twinspark, engine will be more responsive or so I hear.

I'll check mine for that too, but i dont think its an exhaust leak as it ticked 2-3 times in its lifetime (at least with me! 2011-today). Also that 2.0 camshaft idea seems very interesting. Thanks for the reply !
AO Silver Member

1.8 and 2.0 TS camshafts are the same.
2.0 JTS is similar but different but the JTS engines can often suffer from camshaft wear.
RedAlfa120 likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , important , question , spark , twin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page