Mass air flow sensor cleaning - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 31-12-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Mass air flow sensor cleaning

Hi, this is my first post...one of many I suspect. I’m wanting/needing to clean the mass air flow sensor, I’ve got hold of the correct spray for the job & as I see it, the sensor sits just below the battery tray. Before I stat pulling it all apart, I’m going to need to replace the pipe clips either side of the sensor. Any idea what size jubilee clips I should get? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
If the clips are 'Clic R' type then they are reusable. Special pliers help but it is possible to do it with pincers or side-cutters. The actual sensor is held in with Allen screws or Torx fasteners but may be non-tamper.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Take the whole housing out and spray isopropyl alcohol through it. Allow to dry and refit.

The standard clips are reuseable, but they are a bit rubbish and allow oil to leak out from the intake, or at least they do on mine.
AO Member

If its JTS/JTD (same MAF) then you should be good with 7.5cm diameter jubilee clips. (Not 100% sure though, get a bit smaller and a bit bigger ones to be sure you have it all when its apart, they are cheap as dirt anyways). Also it is worth to clean the system as symon mentioned, take the airbox and pipework out to give it a proper clean. And lastly, change the air filter when you have it all shiny.

Last edited by Bsrgt; 04-01-19 at 01:45.
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Garage
you can also get the click-r pliers cheaply, on f.i. ebay.
Good enough for incidental jobs, and makes removing/installing a lot easier
example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...liers&_sacat=0
(Post Link) post #6 of 16 Old 07-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for your advice guys, hopefully it’s going to make the huge difference I’m wishing for.
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
I clean/renew mine if at any time lifting the foot on the accelerator slightly causes the engine to slightly pull stronger. After about 3 to 4 cleanings I find that the cure does not last for long, so buy a new one.
(Post Link) post #8 of 16 Old 21-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for all your help guys, managed to clean sensor & replace air filter. My god what a difference it’s made, I literally thought my throttle had stuck open. Where for a few months I’d been driving with my foot to the floor just to get some sort of acceleration, now just the slightest blip & I’m off. Really can’t believe the difference. Next, replace glow plugs & then a full service. Again, thanks for your help & advice.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 JTD 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Southey View Post
Thanks for all your help guys, managed to clean sensor & replace air filter. My god what a difference it’s made, I literally thought my throttle had stuck open. Where for a few months I’d been driving with my foot to the floor just to get some sort of acceleration, now just the slightest blip & I’m off. Really can’t believe the difference. Next, replace glow plugs & then a full service. Again, thanks for your help & advice.
Hi, Ian.

What spray did you use?
I have isopropyl alcohol (liquid). May I use it or should I use a spray?

My 147 JTD 16v (170hp remap, EGR off) has 346K Km and I never cleaned the MAF sensor. I did clean the MAP once, and it was completely stuck with soot (I had to use brake cleaner spray, a knife and compressed air to remove it).

The car still pulls very strong, but I feel it is a bit slower after 190Km/h, when (and only when) the outside temperature is hotter. When it's cold, say less than 12, it pulls very well.
Can it be the MAF that doesn't measure air temperature correctly?
I guess the turbo is not on it's best shape, though... or so I believe.

Thanks,
Luis
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
As long as it doesn't leave any residue, it should be OK.

The problem most of us found is the MAF doesn't report a problem until it's dead!! And then you usually know, as you can't rev the engine to the higher end of the rev counter!
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 JTD 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza82 View Post
As long as it doesn't leave any residue, it should be OK.

The problem most of us found is the MAF doesn't report a problem until it's dead!! And then you usually know, as you can't rev the engine to the higher end of the rev counter!
Thanks.

I believe the MAF isn't dead, but I can't imagine it working as it should after all these years and with so many Kms.
The same thing with the turbo.

I guess its time for some diagnostics, to check what is working fine and what is just "working".
(Post Link) post #12 of 16 Old 31-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi Luis, I used Archoil AR2810 Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner - 300ml Aerosol from Amazon. It did work well for a few days, but as with your car, mine is also high mileage (112000 miles) and pretty sure it had never been cleaned before. I bought a new one off eBay & fitted that..the difference was huge, so clearly there was a problem with the old sensor, unsurprising given its age & mileage. Probably worth investing in a new sensor given the cost of the spray (10.00)over the cost of a new sensor (45.00) & the time involved in dismantling & reassembling.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 JTD 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Southey View Post
Hi Luis, I used Archoil AR2810 Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner - 300ml Aerosol from Amazon. It did work well for a few days, but as with your car, mine is also high mileage (112000 miles) and pretty sure it had never been cleaned before. I bought a new one off eBay & fitted that..the difference was huge, so clearly there was a problem with the old sensor, unsurprising given its age & mileage. Probably worth investing in a new sensor given the cost of the spray (10.00)over the cost of a new sensor (45.00) & the time involved in dismantling & reassembling.
Hi, Ian. Thank you for your advice.

45 is a great price!
Did you buy an original (Bosch) one?

Don't get me wrong. My car pulls very well. It's very strong between 1500-3500 rpm, but after that... it's a bit sluggish. Absolutely no smoke, which leads me to think the mass sensor isn't measuring the right amount of air and, because of that, the engine doesn't get enough diesel. At least, this is my way of seeing it, with my limited knowledge.

On the other hand, I can rev it to 4600 rpm in 5th gear, so it can't be too bad.
But I guess it has to have some turbo wear, at least, since I push hard for it, every day, for 16 years.

Ian, with 112000 miles, yours is a baby. Enjoy it.
AO Member

County: Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitaDaVespa View Post
Hi, Ian. Thank you for your advice.

45 is a great price!
Did you buy an original (Bosch) one?

Don't get me wrong. My car pulls very well. It's very strong between 1500-3500 rpm, but after that... it's a bit sluggish. Absolutely no smoke, which leads me to think the mass sensor isn't measuring the right amount of air and, because of that, the engine doesn't get enough diesel. At least, this is my way of seeing it, with my limited knowledge.

On the other hand, I can rev it to 4600 rpm in 5th gear, so it can't be too bad.
But I guess it has to have some turbo wear, at least, since I push hard for it, every day, for 16 years.

Ian, with 112000 miles, yours is a baby. Enjoy it.
You can clean MAF with some electro 0 residue cleaner like Lubrilimp 0. I did use it once (in 400k km) for MAF and MAP. After I did compared my old cleaned MAF vs new MAF with OBD data logs and results were the same. If you want to know as is your MAF and MAP really you should do logs.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 JTD 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceecao View Post
You can clean MAF with some electro 0 residue cleaner like Lubrilimp 0. I did use it once (in 400k km) for MAF and MAP. After I did compared my old cleaned MAF vs new MAF with OBD data logs and results were the same. If you want to know as is your MAF and MAP really you should do logs.
Thanks.
I really have to check the logs, when I have the time.

Cheers,
Luis
AO Member

County: Oost-Vlaanderen

Member car:

Spider 2005 jts

I cleaned mine with a contact cleaner.................no result at all!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
air , cleaning , flow , mass , sensor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page