Dimensions/drawings Engines and Gearboxes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By maxiboy wales
  • 1 Post By Fentum
  • 1 Post By maxiboy wales
  • 1 Post By Fentum

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 03-10-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -Middlesex
Dimensions/drawings Engines and Gearboxes

I've been rooting around on here for a while and am drawing a blank.

Can anybody please point me to a resource which shows the detailed measurements/dimensions for the Nord and Busso engines and, if possible, the non-FWD gearboxes?

I've hit an impasse installing a modern Jaguar engine and gearbox on an engine transplant project into a E-Type without mucking about with the engine frame, bulkhead and transmission tunnel and was wondering if either would be a good physical fit as an alternative to fitting an XJ engine and gearbox. The car had been "lumped" with a small block Chevy, and I don't have either the original engine nor the gearbox.

I know they both have very different characteristics from each other (as I have both in my Alfas) and that both will differ considerably from the XJ lump but I'm looking at options at the moment.

Thanks in advance

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

i,ve never found one but a couple of alfa engined statos on here that might have a better chance of having such info.. i have a busso on a stand if you need rough measurements
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 03-10-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiboy wales View Post
i,ve never found one but a couple of alfa engined statos on here that might have a better chance of having such info.. i have a busso on a stand if you need rough measurements
Thanks for that offer. May I come back to you once I've got the exact measurements of the engine frame and the exact centre of the prop shaft as datum points?

The three main issues are:

(i) that I have to squeeze the engine between two sets of parallel horizontal bars and have a bit of height to play with above and below;

and

(ii) the Jaguar lump is long and heavy. The Nord is light and short and the Busso in between. I need to think about front/rear balance and not have the engine too far back and lose the balance; and

(ii) I need to ensure that I can fit the gearbox at the right height.

I can't alter the engine frame, cut into the bulkhead or alter the transmission tunnel and hope to obtain an age-related plate, so this is all a bit delicate.

I know I should probably just put a Series 3 XJ engine back in there and I know I can get other RWD combos in there (because others have done it) but the devil in me would really like to know what a 1966 Jaguar chassis and suspension would feel like with either a Nord or a Busso.

With the Nord, I wouldn't have torque or top speed of the XJ but it would probably be a little screamer up hill and down dale, and with a properly fettled Busso who knows?

Peter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

yes much easier to drop an 200sx lump or honda s2000 running gear or even a 2jz but where is the fun in that..

busso if it will fit with the thread on here for a statos throttle bodies and some cams...
yiorgos and Fentum like this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 08-10-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
yes much easier to drop an 200sx lump or honda s2000 running gear or even a 2jz but where is the fun in that..

busso if it will fit with the thread on here for a statos throttle bodies and some cams...
Thanks. We've measured up and no V6, including the Busso, that we know of will fit without surgery of the frame which would both compromise the structural integrity of the frame and lose the ability to receive a proper plate.

The only V8 appears to be the small block Ford.

I might just need to stick with an old XJ Series 3 block...

Thanks again for your offer of help.

Peter
maxiboy wales likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

Will a narrow angle VW VR32 lump fit.. its not very wide.... or a straight 6.... RB26 or 2JZ
Fentum likes this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 08-10-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Will a narrow angle VW VR32 lump fit.. its not very wide.... or a straight 6.... RB26 or 2JZ
Thanks. I'll look at the VW engine.

RB26 and 1/2JZ are on the list as is the Mazda Wankel! Also BMW straight six and Volvo 24v.

Peter
maxiboy wales likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentum View Post
Thanks. I'll look at the VW engine.

RB26 and 1/2JZ are on the list as is the Mazda Wankel! Also BMW straight six and Volvo 24v.

Peter
Its odd V6 engine with a single cylinder head

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
dimensions or drawings , engines , gearboxes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page