146ti non starter after 4 year lay up! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By symon

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 26-08-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
146ti non starter after 4 year lay up!

Hi guys.... well Iím trying to save a 98 146ti.... got it off an old lady who wanted rid.... had it since new!
Anyway got it home after freeing off locked brakes....
Soooo. Put jump leads on and added a few gallons of fuel and full bottle of redex....
Cranks but not starting... keycode light goes out... Iíve even pressed the fuel cut off switch under the passenger front seat!
Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Might be worth changing the fuel filter, it could be full of all sort of crap. Also check the fuel pump is running.

It would also be worth taking a plug or two out to make sure you are getting sparks when the engine is cranked, if not you could have failed crank sensor/wiring issues. Depensing on where the car was laid it up could amount to corrosion on connectors etc.
maxiboy wales likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 29-08-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi mate
Doesn’t mine have the filter in the fuel tank? Supposed to rarely go wrong! If anyone else knows different or where it actually is oleEr tell me!
Il go through the connectors . Already had relays out to clean terminals will have to do them on the car too where they slot in I guess! Got to try and pull crank sensor too?
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 13-09-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ok update .....
Cleaned relay connectors still no joy. Took fuel pipe off and fuel cones out even when not cranking so would suggest fuel getting through. Pulled all plugs and donít seem wet or sooty.... but donít smell of fuel. However a few bores had oil on them. To test the spark gather I just take a plug out and put it into the end of a ht lead and crank it? Will I see it sparking or do I need to put the plug against something? Thanks in advance as always- also is it the crank sensor that goes faulty it is it a camshaft position sensor? Is that the one under the battery tray?
AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadmark View Post
Ok update .....
Cleaned relay connectors still no joy. Took fuel pipe off and fuel cones out even when not cranking so would suggest fuel getting through. Pulled all plugs and donít seem wet or sooty.... but donít smell of fuel. However a few bores had oil on them. To test the spark gather I just take a plug out and put it into the end of a ht lead and crank it? Will I see it sparking or do I need to put the plug against something? Thanks in advance as always- also is it the crank sensor that goes faulty it is it a camshaft position sensor? Is that the one under the battery tray?
i usually spray a little wd40 etc into the intake while cranking.. just a small burst .. if it fires you have spark. usually then a fuel issue or timing ..
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 16-09-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Oh ok il give that a try! However today after cranking for a while pulled a plug and was wet so probably guessing no spark... must be crank sensor... anyone got a spare ?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
146ti , lay , starter , year

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page