2.0 TS alloy top - won't rev
I'm currently recommissioning a 145 QV that hasn't run for 8 years. It seems to have been looked after, and has a full history - and just under 90k miles.
I'm struggling with the engine - after an hour or so of clean running, it stopped and now won't rev above tickover.
Here's the story:
1) On receiving the car (had it trailered over), I checked the belts, plugs, oil, coolant and turned the engine over by hand before adding some fresh fuel and attempting to start it. On cranking the engine, it turned over fine but wouldn't start - no fuel at the fuel rail.
2) Electrics all checked out fine so I removed the pump assembly from the tank. The pump unit had rusted and seized solid; plus it had dumped a lot of rust flakes in the bottom of the pump assembly.
3) So - I replaced the pump with a matching NOS Bosch unit, cleared the debris from the pump bucket and refitted the pump assembly. The engine then started and ran fine for a good hour (allowing me to test drive for a good 30 minutes - all fine) - then suddenly stopped. Luckily this was on my drive...
4) I removed the pump module again and discovered the new pump had jammed. Plus, there was a new load of rusty debris in the bottom of the pump bucket. So this time I drained the tank, made sure it was clean (in fact, there was very little debris in there) and replaced the new Bosch pump with a Valeo 347251 unit.
5) Now the car starts, but will not rev above tickover. On pressing the gas pedal, the engine just stops. This morning I replaced the fuel filter in case it too was blocked - but that made no difference.
This feels like fuel starvation - but is there anything else I should check beforehand?
If it is a fuel supply problem, what should I try next?
All advice appreciated!
Had the pleasure of: 'Sud Green Cloverleaf | 75 TS | Spider 2.0 Ph 2 | 155 2.0 | 166 Super | 166 3.0 Sportronic | 156 2.5 Q-System | 166 3.0 Sportronic | 146 1.8 | Spider 2.0 Ph 1 | 145 QV | GT 2.0
Last edited by JeremyG; 11-05-18 at 15:05.