2.0 TS alloy top - won't rev - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 11-05-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage

Member car:

166 3.0 & GT 2.0

2.0 TS alloy top - won't rev

I'm currently recommissioning a 145 QV that hasn't run for 8 years. It seems to have been looked after, and has a full history - and just under 90k miles.

I'm struggling with the engine - after an hour or so of clean running, it stopped and now won't rev above tickover.

Here's the story:

1) On receiving the car (had it trailered over), I checked the belts, plugs, oil, coolant and turned the engine over by hand before adding some fresh fuel and attempting to start it. On cranking the engine, it turned over fine but wouldn't start - no fuel at the fuel rail.

2) Electrics all checked out fine so I removed the pump assembly from the tank. The pump unit had rusted and seized solid; plus it had dumped a lot of rust flakes in the bottom of the pump assembly.

3) So - I replaced the pump with a matching NOS Bosch unit, cleared the debris from the pump bucket and refitted the pump assembly. The engine then started and ran fine for a good hour (allowing me to test drive for a good 30 minutes - all fine) - then suddenly stopped. Luckily this was on my drive...

4) I removed the pump module again and discovered the new pump had jammed. Plus, there was a new load of rusty debris in the bottom of the pump bucket. So this time I drained the tank, made sure it was clean (in fact, there was very little debris in there) and replaced the new Bosch pump with a Valeo 347251 unit.

5) Now the car starts, but will not rev above tickover. On pressing the gas pedal, the engine just stops. This morning I replaced the fuel filter in case it too was blocked - but that made no difference.

This feels like fuel starvation - but is there anything else I should check beforehand?

If it is a fuel supply problem, what should I try next?

All advice appreciated!

Had the pleasure of: 'Sud Green Cloverleaf | 75 TS | Spider 2.0 Ph 2 | 155 2.0 | 166 Super | 166 3.0 Sportronic | 156 2.5 Q-System | 166 3.0 Sportronic | 146 1.8 | Spider 2.0 Ph 1 | 145 QV | GT 2.0

Last edited by JeremyG; 11-05-18 at 15:05.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Kent
It's possible that the injectors are blocked if debris has got through the pipeline.

there are small guaze filters in the top of the injector, may just need replacing or cleaning.

see pic below :

s-l1000.jpg
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 31-05-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage

Member car:

166 3.0 & GT 2.0

Thanks for the reply - in the end it turned out that my fuel starvation was just that - the 2-3 litres I put in the empty tank weren't enough. Another 5 litres and it started just fine...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
alloy , rev , top

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page