Can you swap a 2.4 200bhp for 210bhp engine? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 14-03-18 Thread Starter
Status: Leaning towards keeping the Spider
AO Member
 
Ryan_The_Spider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Warwickshire
Posts: 627

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Thumbs Up Can you swap a 2.4 200bhp for 210bhp engine?

Hi all,

I have a 200bhp 2.4 2007 Spider. The engine has been damaged by water (current assumption). Is it possible to put the better 210bhp engine in the car?

Last edited by Ryan_The_Spider; 14-03-18 at 17:30.
Ryan_The_Spider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: -
Newbie
 
cava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
County: -
Posts: 2
Hi,
200 and 210 are similar engines acept Turbo (200 KKK vs 210 Garett), injectors and maping.
So, It will fit and can drive but need some maping.
Cheers
cava is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 14-03-18 Thread Starter
Status: Leaning towards keeping the Spider
AO Member
 
Ryan_The_Spider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Warwickshire
Posts: 627

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by cava View Post
Hi,
200 and 210 are similar engines acept Turbo (200 KKK vs 210 Garett), injectors and maping.
So, It will fit and can drive but need some maping.
Cheers
Thank you your reply.

Does that mean do I need a new engine harness or ECU?
Ryan_The_Spider is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_The_Spider View Post
Thank you your reply.

Does that mean do I need a new engine harness or ECU?
Pretty sure harness is the same on both, the ECU software is different but it is remappable to be able to run the 210hp turbo.
Pud237 is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 15 Old 14-03-18 Thread Starter
Status: Leaning towards keeping the Spider
AO Member
 
Ryan_The_Spider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Warwickshire
Posts: 627

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Pretty sure harness is the same on both, the ECU software is different but it is remappable to be able to run the 210hp turbo.
That is good to hear, thanks.

So does that mean the engine won't run at it's full potential until it has had a remap or won't it work at all?

I may need a new engine and I am thinking this might be a good upgrade if it is a simple swap. I am still waiting for the garage to get back to me but I thought I'll do a little ground work.
Ryan_The_Spider is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_The_Spider View Post
That is good to hear, thanks.

So does that mean the engine won't run at it's full potential until it has had a remap or won't it work at all?

I may need a new engine and I am thinking this might be a good upgrade if it is a simple swap. I am still waiting for the garage to get back to me but I thought I'll do a little ground work.
The engines are near enough the same not to matter. The difference in performance comes from turbo & software, maybe injectors too. It'll run well enough without changing the software but not full performance until its remapped.

Does your engine turn over?
Pud237 is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 15 Old 14-03-18 Thread Starter
Status: Leaning towards keeping the Spider
AO Member
 
Ryan_The_Spider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Warwickshire
Posts: 627

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
The engines are near enough the same not to matter. The difference in performance comes from turbo & software, maybe injectors too. It'll run well enough without changing the software but not full performance until its remapped.

Does your engine turn over?
Nope

Electrics appear to work fine though.
Ryan_The_Spider is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_The_Spider View Post
Nope

Electrics appear to work fine though.
Tried turning it over by hand with a socket on the crank pulley and a bar? Take glowplugs out if you suspect there is still water in there.
Pud237 is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 15 Old 14-03-18 Thread Starter
Status: Leaning towards keeping the Spider
AO Member
 
Ryan_The_Spider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Warwickshire
Posts: 627

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Tried turning it over by hand with a socket on the crank pulley and a bar? Take glowplugs out if you suspect there is still water in there.
Thanks for advice, I believe this is what the garage was planning to do. I'll know more tomorrow.

Are these engines tough? Will piston rods be likely to be bent or broken?

It's reassuring a 210BHP engine will work. I was planning to grab a second hand one. I have seen a few from 159's. It'll be a nice upgrade.

How much would a remap be with a 210BHP engine? I currently have a remap on my 200BHP engine.
Ryan_The_Spider is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
amfalconer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hampshire
Posts: 2,577

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Only my opinion, but if you were paying for a remap to bring your ECU up to 210bhp, you might as well bring it up a bit more!
amfalconer is offline  
(Post Link) post #11 of 15 Old 14-03-18 Thread Starter
Status: Leaning towards keeping the Spider
AO Member
 
Ryan_The_Spider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Warwickshire
Posts: 627

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfalconer View Post
Only my opinion, but if you were paying for a remap to bring your ECU up to 210bhp, you might as well bring it up a bit more!
My 200BHP (as standard) engine has already been remapped.

I am aware the 210BHP (as standard) engine is a better all round engine. I would still need a remap.
Ryan_The_Spider is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
amfalconer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hampshire
Posts: 2,577

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_The_Spider View Post
My 200BHP (as standard) engine has already been remapped.

I am aware the 210BHP (as standard) engine is a better all round engine. I would still need a remap.
Sorry if I've missed the point here, but assuming you're using your original ECU (for your 200bhp engine, which again, I assume is linked to your car's body computer), As standard, it'd need to be remapped to release the potential of the 210 model. there are significant gains to be had from the 210 with an off the shelf map, offered by any of the normal companies out there, some people are even claiming 260 odd brake from some of the well known remap specialists like Alfatune and AHM.

Just saying no need to limit your map to 210bhp.

Out of interest, what were you getting out of your 200bhp model?
amfalconer is offline  
(Post Link) post #13 of 15 Old 14-03-18 Thread Starter
Status: Leaning towards keeping the Spider
AO Member
 
Ryan_The_Spider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Warwickshire
Posts: 627

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfalconer View Post
Sorry if I've missed the point here, but assuming you're using your original ECU (for your 200bhp engine, which again, I assume is linked to your car's body computer), As standard, it'd need to be remapped to release the potential of the 210 model. there are significant gains to be had from the 210 with an off the shelf map, offered by any of the normal companies out there, some people are even claiming 260 odd brake from some of the well known remap specialists like Alfatune and AHM.

Just saying no need to limit your map to 210bhp.

Out of interest, what were you getting out of your 200bhp model?
I am aware you can get more than 210bhp from a earlier 2.4 JTD (200bhp) engine. I have a claimed 250bhp after a remap.

The later 2.4 JTD engine (210bhp) has more torque and smoother (from what I have been told) than the earlier version. I would think after a remap I will get at least 250bhp.

I may need a new engine, so I just want to know my options.
Ryan_The_Spider is offline  
(Post Link) post #14 of 15 Old 15-03-18 Thread Starter
Status: Leaning towards keeping the Spider
AO Member
 
Ryan_The_Spider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Warwickshire
Posts: 627

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
The engines are near enough the same not to matter. The difference in performance comes from turbo & software, maybe injectors too. It'll run well enough without changing the software but not full performance until its remapped.

Does your engine turn over?
Do you know anyone who has done this swap before and if you do what experience did they have?
Ryan_The_Spider is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_The_Spider View Post
Do you know anyone who has done this swap before and if you do what experience did they have?
Loads of people on here put 210 Garrett turbos onto 200hp cars, was quite a popular modification 5-6 years ago. The engines are the same apart from some minor differences with glowplug lengths, so doesn't matter if you fit a 200hp or 210hp engine, if you want the improved low down torque you need the Garrett turbo from a 210, software to suit and possibly injectors.
Pud237 is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , spider or brera or 159

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome