Help please with Jts 2.0 check engine codes from 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 02-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Canterbury

Member car:

Help please with Jts 2.0 check engine codes from 156

Motor control system failure, do these codes give enough hints to anyone knowledgeable? Points to 1 or more o2 sensors but could be maf, connectors, coils?? Or cats potentially I guess!

P0136, p0149, p2251, p0430, p0420, p1141

Do I have to get multiecuscan and go further, hope not
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1118_1506962792451.jpg (62.0 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -
First I would check and clean connections/wiring to the 2 pre cat lambdas (connections mounted by the top of the radiator/fan) and then clear the codes and see which ones come back.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 08-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Thanks, I have cleared codes and after maybe 200km check engine error light back on. Only one code so far which is p0420 catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1.

Hoping this isn't cat gone bad as that would be dearest part and prob right car off.

It generally runs very well but maybe slightly miss or blip occasionally noticeable, once a fairly noticible momentarily stutter after putting foot down a bit, leading me to maybe a bad afm, over fueling and maybe overwhelming cat?
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_1130_1507421312633.PNG (86.4 KB, 4 views)
AO Silver Member

I get that code from time to time. Car runs fine so not really done much to try and sort it. I'm doubtful it would be fixed by a replacement catalyst, but if you did need to I'm sure you could get a second hand manifold for not very much $.
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 09-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Thanks, yes I'm coming around to idea of living with it, I'm doing spark plugs and air filter as both old, may replace coils one day as matter of course and piece of mind. temp gauge reads very low still 50 after 20 mins! Heater very slow to produce heat. I presume this has input to ecu about extra fuel req? Just out of interest what part of nz are you from?
AO Silver Member

If temp only gets to 50 deg then the thermostat is stuffed. Worth checking actual temp using diagnostics if you can in case the gauge is a bit funny, but most likely you need a new thermostat.

I'm in Wellington.
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
I would have thought that if there were no faults shown for 200km that you probably have a poor connection somewhere, a faulty cat would surely have produced an error almost straight away. I think most of these codes are persistent, that is they stay on till cleared, so a bad connection would cause the light to come on and stay on. A good idea to fit a new AFM, in my experience they do not last long and are often responsible for uneven idling and poor throttle response, just ensure you use genuine Alfa or Bosch only.

I bought a second hand cat for my JTS which cost me 120 including delivery plus a further 25 for gaskets, I was lucky and it was just fine, indeed the recent MOT test showed the lowest emissions the car has ever produced. If you could get one fairly cheaply it is worth a try, if it doesn't work well try another one. I suggest that firstly though try a new pre-cat & post-cat lambda sensor costing around 200, much easier to fit.
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 09-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Thanks a lot for both helpful comments, yeah although the fact that "everyone" confirms a few hundred kms before light comes on seems to imply Alfa programming delays constant light until sustained fault. Hmm dunno.

Yes could be worth a thermostat and I agree with the evidence on afm that might be worth a crack. Lambdas like you say could be at fault but I suspect I should have analysis if I go to this level due to cost and whether do 1 or 4!

Jts breaking seem rare here but will keep eye out in future.

The jts imo is a nice incremental
Improvement over my brothers old ts, pity about the emissions causing differculty in reliability design.
I look forward to electric cars one day soon for me.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , check , codes , engine , jts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page