help chosing a jts engine from junk yard - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 25-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Al Jizah
help chosing a jts engine from junk yard

As I mentioned in a previous thread I'm swapping my 2.0 ts for a 2.0 ts + updated interior. This is my first major project and I'm doing most of the work myself.

I have 4 jts engines to chose from all with similar milage 35-50K km. How do I chose the best one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Staffordshire
You are mentioning TS & JTS engines - they are not the same. Which engine are you talking about?
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 28-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Jts is what I'm choosing from, typo sorry...
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
It is far better to go for the euro4 spec engine rather than the earlier euro3 spec. The euro4 spec engine does not have the massive coking-up problems that the euro3 had, due to a revised camshaft (or camshafts?). The ECU was changed at the same time, so possibly the euro4 engine needs the newer ECU to function correctly. The euro4 engine also got improved piston rings to lessen oil consumption. I think the euro4 engine was introduced in 2004 but maybe 2003.

35-50,000 Km seems extremely low for engines at least 11 years old.

I do not know how to tell the difference between the 2 engine variants just by looking.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
If your original engine is a TS you want to be putting in another TS.

The engine block is the same on the 2.0 and 2.0 JTS though, and possibly the bottom end (Crank etc) but there are lots of other differences otherwise.
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensingsys View Post
It is far better to go for the euro4 spec engine rather than the earlier euro3 spec. The euro4 spec engine does not have the massive coking-up problems that the euro3 had, due to a revised camshaft (or camshafts?). The ECU was changed at the same time, so possibly the euro4 engine needs the newer ECU to function correctly. The euro4 engine also got improved piston rings to lessen oil consumption. I think the euro4 engine was introduced in 2004 but maybe 2003.

35-50,000 Km seems extremely low for engines at least 11 years old.

I do not know how to tell the difference between the 2 engine variants just by looking.
The euro4 engine also got improved piston rings to lessen oil consumption - do you know if this was a similar case with the 3.2 JTS rings? So many people have said their's use little oil - mine, better but still not what others seem to indicate.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
If your original engine is a TS you want to be putting in another TS.

The engine block is the same on the 2.0 and 2.0 JTS though, and possibly the bottom end (Crank etc) but there are lots of other differences otherwise.
ECU will need to be swapped over too .. and I get that won't work with a TS loom .. (although I could be wrong)

I think people have used the TS head on the JTS bottom end which avoids too much swapping on the electronics .. but again try searching the forum for clues and advice.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
It will also be a good idea to replace the big end shells before fitting the engine.

You don't know what sort of life the engine has had, and changing the shells greatly reduces the chance of big end issues in the future.
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 13-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks guys ur advise helped narrow down the options, I traced one back to a 2.0jts and if I go with it I'll do the bearings as told... I currently have another thread open about 2.5 v6 q sys vs 2.0 jts sele...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
chosing , engine , jts , junk , yard

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page