Engine Detailing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By ChrisS
  • 1 Post By ChrisS
  • 1 Post By ChrisS

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 15-07-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

PH2 GTV V6

Engine Detailing

Apologies if this has been done to death before I have just purchased a GTV V6 and thinking about spending a few quid on engine detailing as it really needs a makeover. interested from those that have had this done. How much and where? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Paul View Post
Apologies if this has been done to death before I have just purchased a GTV V6 and thinking about spending a few quid on engine detailing as it really needs a makeover. interested from those that have had this done. How much and where? Thanks
Autolusso, 300 to powdercoat everything in a colour of your choosing. If you strip yourself then you may be able to find a cheaper powdercoater.
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 17-07-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

PH2 GTV V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmerydolmeo View Post
Autolusso, 300 to powdercoat everything in a colour of your choosing. If you strip yourself then you may be able to find a cheaper powdercoater.
Cheers for that!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Mercedes C350e

I did this to mine. Probably the most useful bit was the DIY zinc plating kit. I've blasted and plated loads of bolts and brackets. Stripped it down to the cam covers, blanked inlet and exhaust ports, degreased washed and painted the block, crackle paint on the cam covers. New plastic sleeving and boots for the injector plugs, re-wrapped the sub loom. Done the same with the gearbox and starter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0410.jpg (202.5 KB, 160 views)
maxiboy wales, sye and n3me6 like this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 17-07-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

PH2 GTV V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
I did this to mine. Probably the most useful bit was the DIY zinc plating kit. I've blasted and plated loads of bolts and brackets. Stripped it down to the cam covers, blanked inlet and exhaust ports, degreased washed and painted the block, crackle paint on the cam covers. New plastic sleeving and boots for the injector plugs, re-wrapped the sub loom. Done the same with the gearbox and starter.
Thanks Chris.....that is a work of art. Thanks for sharing and I have few ideas on the way forward. I pick up my new (to me) GTV V6 on Friday!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Mercedes C350e

It helps to have such a great 'canvas' to start with! Very few non exotic engines come close to looking as nice as a Busso.
maxiboy wales likes this.
AO Member

County: Devon
(Post Link) post #8 of 11 Old 04-08-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

PH2 GTV V6

Cheers Gazza

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
AO Member

County: -
Not sure if still needed but ive not been about for a while but here is my engine in the tidying up stage. still lots to do yet. But all has been done by me and on the cheap by just looking for bargains on fleebay and getting a engine braid dress kit,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17547328_10155128776963832_1226831708_o.jpg (110.9 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by Overkill; 25-02-18 at 08:15.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Mercedes C350e

Just over a year later(!) and I finally reached the stage of starting the V6 in my project. Generally fine, although it's a bit clattery as the lifters are a bit dry after sitting all that time. It'll quieten down I'm sure.

Took 3 attempts though - first go and it was dead. Realised I'd managed to mess up the plumbing on the Toyota/Lotus fuel pump i'm using and had the vapour recovery port going to the engine, and the actual fuel outlet going all over the floor....

2nd go was better in that it fired, but was unhappy. Realised I'd forgotten to blank the brake servo port so it had a big air leak.

3rd go was fine.

Spent some time yesterday sorting out a MIL. I'm using a very cut down loom from a donor 166 and the ECU was flagging a lack of an A/C control relay and the vapour recovery solenoid. A 220 Ohm resistor is all it needs to spoof each of those, so that's done and no more MIL.

Finally purchased a full copy of MES to help with this - excellent tool.
maxiboy wales likes this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post

I live in Worcester...are you avaiable to do my engine(s) - have a few for you to experiment with - looks fantastic

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
detailing , engine

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page