Scanner plug-in modules - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 21-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Scanner plug-in modules

Knowing nothing about OBDII or ELM or any such scanner software, I went ahead and ordered a cheapo plug-in module for $3 that should connect via bluetooth to my phone. Still waiting on its arrival, but in the meantime I wondered what the members have to say about scanners? And has anyone tried these bluetooth modules? For $3, plus free software, I am curious to see if it is at all useful!

Firstly, I suspect the most sage members will point me in the direction of multiecuscan or some such software, and recommend buying the ($49) licence. On the basis that it will save me a fortune in the end, especially as I have two alfas (and one chrysler).

Secondly, I had a big argument with my garage about charging for plugging in their ($10000) scanner - they charge in excess of $50 every time they plug it in. OK, charge for the technics' time reading and using the scanner - say 30 minutes of 'standard' time - but $50 just for having it and plugging it in? Say you have an expensive hydraulic lift in your garage - you going to charge $20 every time you use it? 50 cents for every spanner used? A dollar for a torque wrench? Charges for computers and printers in the back office? OK, I know software upgrades for a scanner can run into say $1,000 per annum as well, but really, the diagnostic scanner is just a tool of the trade...like every other piece of capital equipment...so why the separate charge?

Plus, every time you plug it in to check for something, you will probably find something else - which your customer will want fixed, equals more money for the garage...so, I suspect this piece of equipment and software more than pays for itself without any extra charge for using it. Any garages / mechanics out there have a different view? Seems to me like it is high time a diagnostic scanner became the same as other garage equipment - tool of the trade. Like I said, charge for the mechanic's time hooking it up, running and interpreting the results...but not just because it was an expensive capital item to buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacinrwanda View Post
K..... Seems to me like it is high time a diagnostic scanner became the same as other garage equipment - tool of the trade. Like I said, charge for the mechanic's time hooking it up, running and interpreting the results...but not just because it was an expensive capital item to buy.
it is, see for instance
Foxwellshop - Foxwell Diagnostic Tool Online Shop

Foxwell Code Reader

https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_FXNT510F.html
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
The point about Multiecuscan is - it works .. bluetooth adaptors often don't especially on the 156 as they don't use the same OBD standards ... 156 is a bit of a VAG-COM hybrid.

It might work on the 147 but won't reach everything ie airbags, abs, etc. I couldn't get one to work on my wife's MiTo which is meant to have the latest EOBD diagnostics.

Most bluetooth devices, especially the cheap ones, are designed to work with the OBD-II or OBD2 standard which is a US standard .. not a european car standard. And they use fairly low quality parts so don't always manage to contact the car. My guess is .. you might be lucky!

cheers, Gary

HIS: ex-1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray. 10th Sep 1998 to 12th Jan 2017

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 27-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the links, guys. And the advice.

Like I said, for $3 it will be interesting to see how useful(less) this connector is. I will let you know, once it finally arrives here. If I need to buy a better one, I will consider it, but in reality, I'm no amateur mechanic. My garage has now accepted that I won't be paying $55 every time they plug in their scanner
AO Member

I got a cheap ELM327 Bluetooth adaptor and it doesn't work on my 156, or in fact any K-line car. Output is totally wrong, data is correct but voltages are way off. USB one however works fine. I have use of a Snap-on Ethos system as well as a modified VAG-COM lead and they both work a treat

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
modules , plugin , scanner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page