V6 Experts.....164 V6 24v Engine Consumables Supply to End? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 14-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

V6 Experts.....164 V6 24v Engine Consumables Supply to End?

We have spoken to a dealer today who claims Alfa have stopped producing the spares such as cambelt bearings and tensioners for this engine.

Also they say the 166 uses different parts. If this is true and the parts supply dries up, could the 164 engine be converted to use 166 V6 parts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Re: V6 Experts.....164 V6 24v Engine Consumables Supply to End?

The only part I've had trouble getting hold of was an exhaust mounting bracket that was discontinued. Have had a cambelt, pulley and tensioner change on both 164s done in the last 18 months without any problems. As far as I'm aware it should all be the same as the other 24v V6s.
AO Member

Member car:

166 2.0 TS 2001

Other thing to say is Alfa don't make these parts anyway.

My local motor factor tells me that all tensioners etc come from the same factory in Canada.

The tensioners that came off my TS and the spurious ones I put on were exactly the same (marks, stamps, etc.)
Richard
AO Silver Member

County: Cumbria

I have to admit I'm torn on this "genuine vs. pattern" parts debate. It's absolutely true that Alfa don't make timing belts (or tensioners, or any of a great number of items).

On the other hand, I have a metallurgist mate who worked for many years in the quality control department of a major suspension component manufacturer. Mass producing (say) balljoints on automated machinery leads to slight variations in fit, surface finish, material properties etc. These vary from batch to batch and (to a lesser extent) within a batch.

They used to inspect the parts randomly and the difference between an "acceptable" part and a "reject" was down to a carefully drawn-up set of criteria. The way it used to work was that the near-perfect parts were sent off as original equipment to the major manufacturer. The ones that were not QUITE to the specification but well within mutually agreed tolerances were put in the major manufacturer's branded boxes and sold as "genuine" original spares. The parts that were outside those tolerances, but within another (internally agreed) set of limits went into the suspension component manufacturer's own branded boxes as non-genuine spares from a reputable manufacturer - the sort you'd buy in a good quality motor factor. The tier below that were SOMETIMES sold, unbranded, to some "no-name" aftermarket component supplier. Finally, components falling below even that standard were scrapped.

Unfortunately, that was 10 years ago now and I don't know if anything has changed but I can see the sense in the system. Also, I don't know how all the current trend for outsourcing to the Far East has affected this process but I guess the same principles will always apply.

Another bit of this jigsaw is that I deal with a couple of major manufacturers and even thought I don't own any of their products, they tend to believe (quite genuinely, I think), that genuine spares are really better.

...but then again, I've got a 164 with close to 250k on it and I've frequently used non-genuine spares. Sometimes, they don't last as well as genuine ones (CV joint boots are a good example). Other times, they've lasted fine (I tend not to run cam belts until they die, for obvious reasons!) and I've replaced these "pattern" components at the specified intervals with no problems.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

2010 S350Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
They used to inspect the parts randomly and the difference between an "acceptable" part and a "reject" was down to a carefully drawn-up set of criteria. The way it used to work was that the near-perfect parts were sent off as original equipment to the major manufacturer. The ones that were not QUITE to the specification but well within mutually agreed tolerances were put in the major manufacturer's branded boxes and sold as "genuine" original spares. The parts that were outside those tolerances, but within another (internally agreed) set of limits went into the suspension component manufacturer's own branded boxes as non-genuine spares from a reputable manufacturer - the sort you'd buy in a good quality motor factor. The tier below that were SOMETIMES sold, unbranded, to some "no-name" aftermarket component supplier. Finally, components falling below even that standard were scrapped.

Alfa, of course, used the reverse process on a large proportion of cars

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
24v , consumables , end , engine , experts164 , supply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page