advice needed for fitting timing belt kit - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 14-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

166 2.0 tspark

Help advice needed for fitting timing belt kit

hi firstly i just want to say what a great site this is and its comforting to have such expert advice close at hand as everything for my lovely 156 seems to cost a fortune, i have decided to fit my own belt kit and have just purchased cam locking blocks , but that is all i have , is there a particular kit i need as i dont want to leave anything out while im at it , also what special tools will i need besides the blocks and where do you get these tools? , has anybody got a step by step guide?? , that would be a lifesaver , any help very much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: advice needed for fitting timing belt kit

1st question, not a patronising one, have you done a belt before on any other car???
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

you need something to lock the crank, a screwdriver on the flywheel teeth does that job nicely. cowboys will say stick it in 5th to lock the crank, but that leaves more than enough movement to cause serious problems so dont be tempted.

you will also need something to determine the position of the piston in cylinder1, a long screwdriver inserted in the plug hole can do that, howver if you lock the crank and both cams before you touch the belt then you wont need to do this unless you want to inspect and correct the timing, but if it aint broke dont fix it.

you also need tensioner adjusters for both the cam and balance belts (balance belt only on 2.0, you dont say which you have). you can easily make your own tools for this (see the haynes for fiat bravo, the 1.8 section) or just use common sense when tensioning. the correct tension is critical but getting it right really is common sense.
AO Member

Member car:

MiTo Cloverleaf

???
I haven't had the 'joy' of replacing the belt on mine (yet), but there should surely be timing marks on the different pulleys to mark the correct position.

Also, are there not auto tensioners on an idler on the belt?

I don't have access to my manual at the moment, but that would have been my past experience.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

There are no timing marks on the TS engines hence the need for cam locking blocks.
AO Member

County: Western Isles

Member car:

Spider 2.4 jtm

Try this link

How To.. replace a cam belt on an Alfa Romeo 2l engine
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9JTD

The greatest challenge is removing the flywheel pulley. These are very tight and a standard impact gun will not shift it. I did a belt and water pump change on a v6 last year, with engine in car. It's a big job especially without camlock tools. Improvisation, as JUG says, is a perfectly good alternative provided you are not in a rush.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Jamie's brilliant coverage on the Alfaworkshop site is the correct route map to follow, guess that's the link referred to?:
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by xf8u View Post
The greatest challenge is removing the flywheel pulley. These are very tight and a standard impact gun will not shift it. I did a belt and water pump change on a v6 last year, with engine in car. It's a big job especially without camlock tools. Improvisation, as JUG says, is a perfectly good alternative provided you are not in a rush.
The TS is easier though, as the pulley held on by 4 ribe bolts. Torx T40 will do just nicely though.
AO Platinum Member

The Thema turbo was straight forward enough. In fact it was an enjoyable exercise, just needed to lock the flywheel, to undo the left handed crankshaft pulley bolt, at about 130 foot lbs? The rest was pretty uncomplicated:
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I haven't locked the flywheel when changing the belts on TS cars, I usually lock the cams, undo the pulleys so they are loose, put the belt over, turn the engine slightly until piston 1 is at TDC then tighten the pulleys. After that set the tensioner tension This I believe is correct, it has worked for me 3 times now.

If the belt is a tooth out you won't be able to get everything to line up, and its important not to let the engine turn backwards whilst doing this.
AO Platinum Member

I really think that Thema 16V was a much better dohc set up than that deployed on the Alfas? Ok, it was also a far more expensive unit to manufacture, but I loved it.:
(Post Link) post #13 of 14 Old 17-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

166 2.0 tspark

never did a belt before but want to get a bit more hands on with my alfa ,ive found a nice clean one and want to keep it, i think ill keep reading the procedure over and over until im happy and have everything i need plus a weekend and plenty of teabags and i might get through it ,but thanks for all advice above.

Aftermarket Tools for your Alfa Romeo TwinSpark, JTD, V6 and Twin Cam Engines, they are uk based and have everything u need at good prices.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
advice , belt , fitting , kit , needed , timing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page