MIL light on but no DTC - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 156and33

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 24-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Queensland
Cry Like A Baby MIL light on but no DTC

Hi
Driving home, did a very sharp rh turn and engine stopped. MIL on and Selespeed light flashing on dash. Car will not relent start. Gear changes OK. Towed home. Scan tool reported temporary code P1670 - something to do with lack of sensor signal.
Topped up Selespeed fluid, managed to get warning light to go away by combination of disconnecting battery and resting code with Fiatscan - not sure what worked, probably Fiatscan.
Tested all Selespeed actuators, ok.
MIL lights still on but no DTC codes reported by scan tool or Fiatscan so cannot reset.
Not sure what to do. Don't live near mechanic and have got to get to work on Monday. Have downloaded latest Multiecuscan. Will try that tomorrow.
All suggestions welcome.

2003 156 JTS 2.0 Selespeed

Last edited by 156and33; 24-02-17 at 08:57.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Essex
Fuel cut-off switch tripped? Mine is under the passenger seat.
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 24-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Is there a reset procedure?
An hour before I went over a speed bump a bit quickly and scraped the under engine shield. Maybe that affected something?

Last edited by 156and33; 24-02-17 at 14:55.
AO Member

There is a rubber diaphragm type cover over the top. Just press down on that.
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 24-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

The button clicked the first time I pressed it but light still on and engine cranking but not starting.
With the scan tool I can see 250rpm during cranking so assume that the sensor is OK.
There is 12v at the coil packs power coil with ignition on but not cranking.
I am using a noid light tester I had for my 33 across the two centre connectors: cannot see an trigger signal using this method. Checked that noid light is working by apply voltage with bench power supply.
With a spark plug removed, I cannot smell any fuel being ejected during cranking.
There is no key code warning light but it seems like the ecu has shut the engine down and won't let go - bugger.
Getting desperate - what is going on?

Last edited by 156and33; 25-02-17 at 07:01.
AO Silver Member

County: -
Is your key code light coming on when you first turn the key and going off after a second or so?

How much gas is in the tank?
(Post Link) post #7 of 12 Old 25-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yes, key light behaves as you describe. Have also tried another key.
1/4 tank of fuel.
Pulled the crank sensor, no crap stuck to it.
Broke one of the small pipes coming off the air intake while getting the sensor out. Trying to 3D print a replica as I write.

Last edited by 156and33; 25-02-17 at 09:30.
AO Member

I just checked my cut-off switch. It clicked only the first time I pushed it, and it wasn't tripped to start with, so I think that was a red-herring.

Isn't it normal for the MIL to stay on till the engine starts? (It does with my diesel)

P1670 = loss of electronic feedback signal (maybe). A pity it does not say which one, but possibly a harness or connector fault caused by the cornering force so it's probably worth checking all the fuses and wiggling the engine related harness, connectors and especially, the relays. Also, can you check that you have fuel pressure in the rail?
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 25-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

I pulled the relays by the battery and the relevant fuses in the cabin already. Not sure how to check the fuel delivery. I can't even see the injectors on the JTS!
Pretty sure the dash lamp goes off before the engine is running , normally.
I am going to put some more fuel in the tank. Maybe the gauge is stuck on 1/4 but is actually empty. Don't know if low fuel pressure would cause the ecu to shut down the show and not issue a code. I don't even know if the Vgate scan tool or Fiatscan can read all the error codes. A mechanic I spoke to yesterday says maybe not.
AO Member

This: https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ont-start.html is worth a look, it came down to the in tank pump. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but if the high pressure petrol pump is anything like the diesel pumps it will have a spring loaded valve in the inlet which shuts off the pump if the inlet pressure falls too low. Thus it isn't enough to check the flow from the lift pump, you have to check the pressure.

I'm not sure if this applies though since your code isn't coming back.
(Post Link) post #11 of 12 Old 26-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

FIXED!
This morning, tried starting car with Aerostart, bingo, fired up.
Went to petrol station with a jerry and put 20L fuel in the tank. Gauge moved form 1/4 to 1/2.
Drove car to station and filled up, total of ~ 64L, no wonder the car konked out and would it start. The day before I had noticed the gauge on 1/4 even though I had travelled 780klm - should have taken notice of this as that was a bit too good to be true.
Erased the DTC for not having the air intake hose on (3D printed tube wasn't a bad fit).
No more DTCs logged.
I have noted that the MIL light does not go off until the engine starts so that was red herring. Have to check the handbook (thanks R.T., pays to know what normal behaviour is) (handbook agrees).
Root cause - maybe a faulty fuel gauge.
Sphincter is now relaxing!!
Car has done 193k so maybe I should keep a spare fuel pump on the shelf, but will monitor gauge for another tank and see if it gets stuck at 1/4 again.
BIG THANKS to the forum for the suggestions as well as Alfamotive in Brisbane for more advice. You guys have saved me from the mental asylum and bankruptcy once again!
R.T. likes this.

Last edited by 156and33; 28-02-17 at 08:46.
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 04-04-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Replacement aftermarket pump installed. Gauge now operating normally.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
dtc , light , mil

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page