156 auxilliary belt ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 12-02-08 Thread Starter

156 auxilliary belt ?

Hi all

after my 12 months of trouble free motoring in my 2001 alfa 156 1.8ts i found myself in the dark on the way home tonight. after a few strange noises from the front end i ended up with no power steering and the battery light on red on the dash ...

i presume there is some sort of aux belt that runs the alternator and power steering pump ... and i have probably lost the belt ...

trouble is , in the dark i cant see much and i need to fix it pretty sharpish tomorrow.

is my presumption right that its just a belt or are there some tensioners tucked in there as well ? am i looking at an easy fix ?

thanks for any help, just priming myself for an hour or two with my spanners in the morning ...

cheers
Nik B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Monmouthshire
Re: 156 auxilliary belt ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikb2005 View Post
Hi all

after my 12 months of trouble free motoring in my 2001 alfa 156 1.8ts i found myself in the dark on the way home tonight. after a few strange noises from the front end i ended up with no power steering and the battery light on red on the dash ...

i presume there is some sort of aux belt that runs the alternator and power steering pump ... and i have probably lost the belt ...

trouble is , in the dark i cant see much and i need to fix it pretty sharpish tomorrow.

is my presumption right that its just a belt or are there some tensioners tucked in there as well ? am i looking at an easy fix ?

thanks for any help, just priming myself for an hour or two with my spanners in the morning ...

cheers
Nik B
Any update.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

911, 156, Merc C

Nick, sorry to say but the aux belt is not an easy diy job.. you need to get under the car (ramp) and even then its a *****...
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire

Hey, it's not that difficult. I've just changed mine.

You need a 5 mm Allen key and a 15 mm spanner. And a new belt.

Take off the top guard, it's on the LHS of the engine as you stand looking from the front, two Allen screws. Thread the new belt around the pulleys, as I've shown in the attached sketch.

You then need to push back the sprung idler pully, it's the small pulley in between and just in front of the generator and the power steering pump pulleys. Put the 15 mm spanner on it and turn it anti-clockwise as hard as you can to allow you to get the belt over the air-con pulley. I removed the top engine steady to make it easier to get a good grip on the sprung idler - you have to push quite hard. If you can't get enough grip, then you'll have to take off the bottom tray as RB said and do it from underneath. When you've got the belt threaded over all the pulleys let go of the sprung idler to put the tension on your belt. Replace the top guard (and the under tray if you removed it) and job done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aux belt.JPG (40.2 KB, 4 views)
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Hi I had my auxillarypulley fail just before Christmas, not having the time to DIY it (Or trust my self!!) I had Alfie at Heath Road Garage do it. May be a bit far as he is in Sandbach. Alfie did the job in a day. Since he has done lower wish bones and MOT for me. Seems a genuine chap and always ready for a chat about Alfas !! Good luck
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 14-02-08 Thread Starter

thanks for the help guys ..

when i stripped it down i found the belt was intact but the tensioner was missing .. completely !!

so i've ordered a new one ...

it is a tight fit in there so fingers crossed i can fit my spanner in

cheers

nik
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

You will find it easier if you actually thread the spanner that releases the tension under the belt, that way when the tensioner is turned the spanner will be on the correct side of the belt and you can just slip the belt over the tensioner. You will see when you come to the job.

Simon.
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 16-02-08 Thread Starter

thanks for all the help, back up and running now ..

took a bit longer than anticipated, the previous bolt has sheared of so had to drill and retap it to fit the new one .. tricky but did it ..

alfa back on the road again !
AO Gold Member

Member car:

911, 156, Merc C

Good show ~! not an easy task

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , auxilliary , belt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page