V6 2.5 or 3.0 24v engine swap - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 08-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Greater London
V6 2.5 or 3.0 24v engine swap

Guys - anyone has a clue which engine would potentially be easier to swap to my 155 v6 - one of the newer 2.5 24v from 156 or possibly the 3.0 from the older one such as GTV or 164? I had a chat with one of the Alfa mechanics and he recons the swap to the 2.5 24v would be around 3k pounds in total inc engine. He also mentioned problems with speedometer as the 156 has an electric one and 155 not.
I also have seen a few 155's swapped to 3.0 but not a single 2.5 24v. The only reason why I would think about 2.5 is possibly lower weight.

Thanks for any comments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Re: V6 2.5 or 3.0 24v engine swap

If you can find one the 916 GTV/Spider 3.0 12v or 24v is the "easiest", all other v6's (12v&24v) have the thermostat housing and water pipes into the cylinder heads on the cambelt side of the engine, the 155/GTv/Spider engines have this assembly on the gearbox side. This causes a problem when trying to mount a 156/164/166 motor in a 155 as the thermo housing etc of the 156/164/166 motor will foul the chassis leg of the 155..... the engine can be modified to relocate the thermostat housing on the gearbox side but it's easiest if you start with the right motor...... The 12v Spider motor will run with the motronic 1.7ecu of the 2.5 155 although it will ultimately need remapping, I'm not too sure whether the 24v would run with the M1.7 thus you'd need to consider swapping loom, ecu, code box, engine and gearbox in one lot (if you could get the gtv master key you could recode the gtv ecu to take the 155 keys so as to avoid changing locks ......but then changing locks would be the easy bit!!)

HTH.....

PS One of the dutch guys, Lenz (I think) from the ARTC155 club has a 24v 155..... youtube "155 vs GTA"

Screw Flanders
Chris155

Errrr Dj, I know you're the expert here as you have done the swap but the stat on 156 and 166 24v motors is on the gearbox side.

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris155 View Post
Errrr Dj, I know you're the expert here as you have done the swap but the stat on 156 and 166 24v motors is on the gearbox side.
No expert Chris, nobody else had said anything so though my 2p might help (not if it's wrong though ) Do the 156/166 motor have the water pipes into the heads on the gearbox side then, ie are they essentially a straight swap ?..... I could go look under the bonnet of the 166 but it looks cold out there

Last edited by djstanley; 12-02-08 at 10:48.
AO Member

Coool, physically they should fit without having to modify heads etc then ??....... I'd always believed the 156/166 were the same as the 164 in cooling pipe layout......
AO Member

County: Auckland

Umm I may be talking porky pies here, but......

A late series 155 and the early 156 share an ECU. So it is entirely feasible to get a 24v V6 off a dead 156 + its ECU, and just drop straight in. The water ports, mounting point etc are commo to both cars, and there is no problem with gearbox mating either. The 156 24V is significantly lighter than the 155 12v V6, which makes the beast even more sprightly, and more prone to a sidewinding takeoff at the lights.

The ecu plugs straight in - on 156's they live under the passenger glovebox ala the 164, but in the 155 they hide behind the fusebox, which is releaseable using a screw.

remapping is not necessary.

AND

if you are feeling very very very mental, it is physically possible to plug a 3.2 V6 off a 156 GTA into a 155, always presuming you can find one....since the GTA is a series 1 156, the same rules apply.

The experts in this kind of Skullduggery are Glenwood Alfa in South Africa, best known for the garrett-turbo 3.0L V6 GTV's of the late 80's early 90's, the positively mental 3.7L 166, and the 3.7 Glenwood 156 GTA.

Dunno if this helps or confuses.....

Martin

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
24v , engine , swap

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page