JTD engine failure!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 67 Old 05-02-08 Thread Starter

Not Happy JTD engine failure!!

Total engine failure at 30k miles after FASH including 24K service. No oil warning light no sign of a problem then one cold morning it died big time before I even got it off the drive. Dealer not very helpful thought it was an import ( its not) Warranty engineer says its oil strarvation and says he cant find anything wrong with the pump. Any ideas Help! I am already onto alfa UK trying to get them to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lake District
Garage
Re: JTD engine failure!!

That's terrible - how old is it? If it is over 2 years Alfa might try to wriggle out.

I hope it gets sorted.
(Post Link) post #3 of 67 Old 05-02-08 Thread Starter

Nov 05

Really bad news...hope you get it sorted.....

Keep us posted as some help may be forthcoming...

Chris
AO Platinum Member

Bad luck
AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire

Unlucky matey let us know what happens
(Post Link) post #7 of 67 Old 05-02-08 Thread Starter

Damn right unlucky £7500 for a new engine!! I will keep pushing AUK
AO Platinum Member

You should be able to get it rebuilt much cheaper than that, contact Richard Murtha (rgwm on this forum), or maybe Ned (Autolusso on this forum) and see if they can help you out with a second hand unit.
AO Silver Member

County: Lake District
Garage

I would push AUK all the way. It's low milage regularly serviced and should be good for at least 300K.

Good Luck - were all rooting for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slegg View Post
You should be able to get it rebuilt much cheaper than that, contact Richard Murtha (rgwm on this forum), or maybe Ned (Autolusso on this forum) and see if they can help you out with a second hand unit.
Why should he have a second hand unit ? AUK should be bending backwards to resolve this as the car is 05 plate...

Chris
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b View Post
Why should he have a second hand unit ? AUK should be bending backwards to resolve this as the car is 05 plate...

Chris
that will always depend on the cause of death though... if as much as one maintenance visit was skipped, they will wriggle out
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Its under dealer warranty still, so they should sort it. If they don't then get a solicitor to write them a letter telling them you intend to take them to court unless they resolve this satisfactorily.

Was there still oil in it, or has it disapeared somewhere?
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Its under dealer warranty still, so they should sort it. If they don't then get a solicitor to write them a letter telling them you intend to take them to court unless they resolve this satisfactorily.
What They Said !!
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire

Quote:

Chris
I agree with Chris, there is no way you should do anything other than have a new engine fitter under warranty. This is where Alfa UK really let them selves down. It this was a BMW you would have a courtesy car and they would be fixing with a quibble, I suppose that is why so many people buy soulless BMWs, they know if it goes wrong they will get some support.

I also think a call in Trading Standards may help.

Also well worth telling the dealer you have posted this on AO and will be keeping everyone informed.

Dont forget to tell other site users which dealer it is.

Ned
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post
I also think a call in Trading Standards may help.

Also well worth telling the dealer you have posted this on AO and will be keeping everyone informed.

Dont forget to tell other site users which dealer it is.

Ned
Yep, name and shame the mofo's
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Yep, name and shame the mofo's
What He Said !!
(Post Link) post #17 of 67 Old 06-02-08 Thread Starter

I totally agree it was full of oil never been below max and never missed a service. Sidlow Gatwick havnt exactly been a supportive dealer, leaving me to sort it out and pay for my own hire car even though they didnt even look at the car for a week!!
AO Platinum Member

That is really bad
AO Member

County: Etela-Suomen Laani
Garage

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...breakdown.html

The link is to a similar case that happened to me. Crank split and pulley bolt broke which resulted in crashed top. The total cost for it was 10000 euro of which the Alfa factory took 30%. My car is manufactured in 09/03. You should get at least this probably more.
(Post Link) post #20 of 67 Old 06-02-08 Thread Starter

Interesting. My car was running sweet the night before then on cold start sounded like someone put concrete in it. ( yeah i know its a diesel) but really severe noise for the first time and then for the first time the oil light even though full of oil! Anyone know where I can get the oil pump properly bench tested if Alfa uk dont agree.
Dibby

Can't say I'm surprised after dealing with warranty people myself, they'll try and wriggle out of anything they can. The companies employ professionals on the phones to make money for them, my warranty tried to get out of replacing gaskets when the turbo was taken off for reconditioning. "Are you seriously suggesting the garage re-uses the gaskets?" "Ok, we'll cover the gaskets". I've had to prove the stamps in the service book are genuine with receipts and if one piece of paperwork was out of place they wouldn't pay out a penny. Warranties won't cover diagnositic work and pay sub-standard labour rates so cheapo backstreet garages knock the work out as cheap as they can. End result: the customer ends up with sub standard work and a shoddy job.

Warranties are more hassle than they're worth, they'll do anything they can to get out of it, it's going to be a long hard struggle but as long as everything's in place you should be able to get it covered.

Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncragg View Post
Interesting. My car was running sweet the night before then on cold start sounded like someone put concrete in it. ( yeah i know its a diesel) but really severe noise for the first time and then for the first time the oil light even though full of oil! Anyone know where I can get the oil pump properly bench tested if Alfa uk dont agree.
You can get the oil pump tested but to be honest you should be instructing a solicitor not an engineer. It is absolutely ridicules when the car is covered under warranty that they are trying to get out of a claim for a major mechanical failure and expecting you to have to pay for a hire car. I am sure in the past there has been someone on this site that has represented Sidlows in the past, what would they have to say now?

Ned
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

I'm with Ned et al. You need a solicitor, not an engineer There's another thread witha 159SW 2.4 owner with massive engine problems (Fish Bros of Swindon). Come on Alfa UK, you were supposed to have this sorted Even if ARUK do come good, the customer satisfaction element will stay in peoples minds forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncragg View Post
Do absolutely nothing to your car....

This is the main trap people get caught with....because you will invalidate your warranty....

I suggest that you do the following....

Call trading standards and file a complaint against the dealer and ARUK and get a reference number.

Using this reference number - write a letter to both ARUK and your dealer - stating that you find them liable to all costs arising from this incident such as phone calls, taxi's loss of holidays and obviously car hire...

Also state that it is your right to add additional costs for the lengh of time you have lost your car offset against depreciation while this matter is being resolved....and will apply interest to the amount of money outlayed.

Also make it clear that legal option to recover money will be commenced from a point in time - usually 28 days from the post date of your letter to ARUK and the dealer.

DO NOTHING TO YOUR CAR...its for the dealer and ARUK to prove or disprove your claim....if you do want independant work done to determine fault - you can use trading standards, or someone that both parties agree to, but whatever get this in writing from them...

Chris
(Post Link) post #25 of 67 Old 06-02-08 Thread Starter

Very helpful, have you done this before?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , failure , jtd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page