Re: Help!!!! from experts
1. Head off only, check the pistons and bores for slackness & wear once the head is off by trying to rock the pistons with your fingers. If they wobble then its knackered. if not carry on.
2. Seeing as your belt is snapped, once the head is off, just rotate the crank (19mm socket I think, I just used the wheelbrace out of the boot!) until number 1 piston (piston nearest the pullys and water pump) is a the the top of its stroke. That is TDC for the bottom end. When you fit the camlocks on the head after getting it back that is TDC for the the top.
3. Most people say you should replace the variator at the same time, but mine was quiet beforehand and you can end up changing stuff for changing stuff's sake, so no I did not replace my variator. The worst that can go wrong with that is that it gets noisy over time and starts to make your car sound like a diesel, it does not break anything though.
4. I never did the valves myself, I could have, but that was 1 ball ache too far, take it to a specialist.
5. you can rotate the crank using the wheelbrace, or if you stick the car in 5th gear with the wheels off the floor, you can turn the road wheel.