Going to burn it now - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By R.T.
  • 1 Post By gazza82
  • 1 Post By Pud237
  • 1 Post By gazza82
  • 1 Post By Pud237

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 17-12-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 JTDM

Hmmm Going to burn it now

Poxy car is begining to do my head in now.

The wife's 147 T-spark still has this severe power loss issue. It starts and rev's no problems at all until you take it out for a drive then it all goes down hill. It's reasonable when cold and at low speeds but still quite under powered but managable UNTIL you get stopped at the lights or junction which is where the weird bit comes into it, It doesnt seem to matter if I sit there on tickover or keep the revs up as soon as you go to pull of there is just no power at all like your trying to pull off in fifth. It doesnt normally stall at this point and sometimes recovers after a bit of playing on the throttle pedal and sometimes I have to stop and restart the engine and it goes again but very low on power and very frustrating when all them people in german cars start honking and flashing like mad men. If I take it out on faster roads the most It will do is 60 and thats on a long enough road going down hill any sort of uphill is a big nono at the moment.
since I bought it I have done the Variator, Timing belt, Water pump, Pulleys and tensioners because it was sounding more like a diesel than my french diesel van does. while there I also changed all 16 cam followers simply because one off them was tapping like mad (made sense as it was mostly apart anyway) It has a reasonable cylinder compression with all 4 between 195 and 200 PSI so not too worried about them. I've had all the plugs out and they don't look too bad air filter is fine but It drinks petrol like theres no tomorrow
It has only ever showed a P0141 fault which I "dont think" would cause this much power loss. I do have a Fault code reader that shows live data but cant seem to find any info on the net at all as to what sort of readings I should be expecting from the various parts so nothing to compare it to.
I need a few suggestions to look at I've unplugged and cleaned just about every electrical connector I can find Tried a new Air Flow Meter and made no difference Have tried the ECU reset a few times and still the same, What do I do next apart from burn it? the time of year and the bank balance says no to a dealer visit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Essex
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 17-12-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 JTDM

Intersting I'll have a look in the tank when I get chance but mine does fire up first time every time and revs fine unlike that one but still worthy of a look.

thank you.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
P0141 is the lambda sensor. If it isn't working it will assume the engine is cold and richen the mixture which will (a) use more fuel and (b) really hurt performance and (c) possibly be damaging the cats ..

But you probably have at least three so you need to work out which one is O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2) ... probably one of the manifold ones ...

Get a new BOSCH lambda .. or get a Bosch LS615 universal and splice it in to the existing wiring (no soldering, read the instructions!) Don't be tempted to use a cheap one as they don't work .. "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" ... NTK lambdas don't work period. But my 156 TS has been running with an LS615 for a few years and once changes, fuel consumption was so much better.

cheers, Gary

HIS: ex-1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray. 10th Sep 1998 to 12th Jan 2017

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 22-12-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 JTDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza82 View Post
P0141 is the lambda sensor. If it isn't working it will assume the engine is cold and richen the mixture which will (a) use more fuel and (b) really hurt performance and (c) possibly be damaging the cats ..

But you probably have at least three so you need to work out which one is O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2) ... probably one of the manifold ones ...

Get a new BOSCH lambda .. or get a Bosch LS615 universal and splice it in to the existing wiring (no soldering, read the instructions!) Don't be tempted to use a cheap one as they don't work .. "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" ... NTK lambdas don't work period. But my 156 TS has been running with an LS615 for a few years and once changes, fuel consumption was so much better.
I've decided It's the post cat one under the car that's got the fault so after christmas when the bank balance allows again a new one will be ordered for that. I'm not convinced though that this much power loss is down to that one sensor My old school mechanic training is telling me there's something else that I just havnt discovered yet. Been trying to find a local mechanic that know's Alfa's as dealer prices are quite high but no luck so far I might just bite the bullet after crimbo and see if it can even get as far as the local Alfa dealer so they can have a diagnose before I decide to spend any more money it.
AO Gold Member

AlfaAid in Maidenhead are not cheap .. they charge similar prices to a dealer now SGT are gone .. they used to be in Old Windsor which would have been ideal for you!

L&M near Medmenham looked after my 156 a few times and have a better hourly rate.

Those LS615 universal lambdas are a lot cheaper than the full item and the only difference on many is the length of the cable to the plug socket. The number of cars that lambda sensor is used on is a very long list.

Seems that the length of cable can be fairly critical as a few Peugeot 206 owners have found out trying to fit one with a longer cable where the original was shorter. That has a pre-cat and post-cat lambda set-up ... one has a pain green plug, the other pale blue and the wires are every different lengths.

I was sceptical before I tried it .. well worth the extra messing about to cut the cables and connect it the new lambda and as I said no soldering, in fact that can damage the new sensor!
boringoldgituk likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
You may also have a blocked exhaust / collapsed cat. Had a 2.0 T-Spark Spider in with this problem recently, that also wouldn't go over 60mph.
AO Gold Member

Remember now ... that happened to mine. About 4 days after the same went in my Pug 206. Alfa now has a new cat ... Pug seems fine without! If you knock the cat from underneath it will rattle if it's collapsed.
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 19-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 JTDM

Well its got worse now. without me knowing anything the wife arranged for her friends husband (apperantly a mechanic runs his own garage in ascot and everything) he plugged in his old RAC issue code reader and told me an o2 sensor is dead so I said I know that already so he cleared it and went out for a drive to see how bad the power loss is and when we got back he spent quite a while looking at his RAC code reader and scratching his head. couldn't quite decide what the problem is as it revs so freely when stationary but once it's on the road there's nothing. he decided it needed the exhaust clearing out so held it at 5000 rpm for about five minutes then there was a nice puff of blue smoke from the engine bay (from around the oil pump area) and the exhaust blew a hole right by the rear cat. So he just says "well your exhaust is blown and you got an oil leak give me a ring during the week and I'll get it booked in for you and we'll sort everyting out for you" LIKE HELL I was thinking to myself, it's sort of my own fault I know for letting him do it but heyho as they say, so now I'm faced with fixing an oil leak and looking into any further damage that might have caused and getting new cats now wether I like it or not. More poxy money on this car
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Oh dear. Blocked cat and lots of revs = huge pressure between the blockage and the cylinder head, and massive heat. I really hope your mechanic hasn't seriously damaged anything. Holding high revs on an engine with a suspected blocked cat is NOT the way of diagnosing or fixing the problem.

You need to take the car to somewhere that knows what they're doing and get it fixed properly, or get rid. Anything else I think you are just likely to waste more time/money.
(Post Link) post #11 of 11 Old 21-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 JTDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Oh dear. Blocked cat and lots of revs = huge pressure between the blockage and the cylinder head, and massive heat. I really hope your mechanic hasn't seriously damaged anything. Holding high revs on an engine with a suspected blocked cat is NOT the way of diagnosing or fixing the problem.

You need to take the car to somewhere that knows what they're doing and get it fixed properly, or get rid. Anything else I think you are just likely to waste more time/money.
Once the wages allow next month I'm going to take her to an alfa garage for and see what there computer says then I'll decide wether to keep it or burn it. Funny thing is I took her out last night to run my boy to scouts and it went like it's never done before (not great but the best since I've owned it anyway) and if the roads weren't so wet and icy I would of even had a go at getting above 50 as 40 seems to be the most over the last few weeks Maybe it only likes it when its minus 1 outside girls can be fussy

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
burn

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page