156 2.0 ts cambelt change - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 39 Old 31-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 t-spark

156 2.0 ts cambelt change

hi I seriously need help, had problems with cambelt tesione now have to replace all,cannot take ar to dealer to far, hae a mechanic who is willing to help, i need to know if anyone has a rocedure to help me fit the new cambelts,also the belts are already off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham
Re: 156 2.0 ts cambelt change

if you took the belt off before making marks on the crank and both cams then you'll need to use the correct timing lock tools.

the balance shaft belt makes things slightly more difficult than a normal twinny, but apart from that its just the usual job, nothing difficult, and thankfully even the 2.0 has enough room to work with. if you are unsure then use the procedure in the manual, if you dont have a manual then buy one (ebay CD couple of quid).
(Post Link) post #3 of 39 Old 31-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 t-spark

thank you for promt response, dont know much about the car, i noticed that on the crank there are white dots, do you perhaps know where the other is positioned.
jug
AO Silver Member

white dots are tippex from a previous belt change, most people use tippex (including myself) because it is easy to apply and easy to see.

if you are very lucky and both your cam sprockets still have the white marks from the previous belt change then you could use those marks to set the timing. that would be very lucky. however since the timing has been compromised it really is best to obtain the cam locking tools so you know the timing is spot on.

what is the problem with the tensioner?
(Post Link) post #5 of 39 Old 31-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 t-spark

well my tensione stoped working, the whole car vibrated at 2500rpm we had a look, and that is when i noticed that the tensioner does not work at all. the vibrating noice came frm the tensione jumping around
(Post Link) post #6 of 39 Old 31-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 t-spark

excuse the typing errors,am typoing from my pda.
AO Platinum Member

Even if the pulleys have white tipex marks, you still need the camlocks to do the job properly because you need to lock the cams and loosen the pulleys while you tension the belt.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Even if the pulleys have white tipex marks, you still need the camlocks to do the job properly because you need to lock the cams and loosen the pulleys while you tension the belt.

There is a procedure here for doing the timng belt change. I would also advise against doing the job without the locks, as there is a very good chance that the cam timing will be out. You also cannot rely on the fact that the cam timing was correct before you started...

The cam variator

Last edited by symon; 31-01-08 at 11:33.
jug
AO Silver Member

Quote:
you never loosen cam sprocket bolts if you use the timing mark method.
AO Platinum Member

If you don't loosen the bolts, there is an extreme likelyhood that you won't get the timing spot on. One reason is that the old belt will have stretched, and you are refitting a new belt in the same position that the stretched one cam off from. It may only be 1/2 to 1 tooth out but it will still be wrong.

An example.. I bought my car, and 44,000 miles previously it had last had the belts changed. I spoke to the garage that last changed the belts and they told be that they used the mark method without camblocks.

On removing the covers I attempted to fit the camblocks to see how close the timing was before I started, and it was miles out. If I had used the marking method I would have set the belt in the same position that I had taken it off, which would have been wrong.

After doing the job the car felt a lot better.

If you are changing the variator, as I think you should when doing the belts you have to loosen the inlet sprocket.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170), BMW 335i Cabrio
jug
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
If you don't loosen the bolts, there is an extreme likelyhood that you won't get the timing spot on. One reason is that the old belt will have stretched, and you are refitting a new belt in the same position that the stretched one cam off from. It may only be 1/2 to 1 tooth out but it will still be wrong.
yes thats right, which is why you rotate each camshaft to suit the teeth on the belt. always rotate away from the longest belt length. every haynes manual tells you this method is safe, every garage uses it when they dont have the locking tools (which is almost every time they do a timing belt). that doesnt mean noobs wont get it wrong, but noobs can set your timing wrong even with the correct tools, i've even seen people fit locks on the wrong lobes. any competent mechanic can use the marks method successfully (unless the timing is out by a tooth or more to start with)

Last edited by jug; 31-01-08 at 13:47.
(Post Link) post #12 of 39 Old 01-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 t-spark

how do i make sure that the cam timing is right, what should i look for and do?
AO Platinum Member

The only accurate way to check if the timing is correct when you start is to set the engine to TDC on the compression stroke and see if the cam blocks fit. If they don't they your timing is out.

There is a mark on the lower pulley that lines up with a mark on the lower cover to tell you when No1 piston is at TDC. It will be at TDC on the compression stroke when the inlet cam lobes on No1 cylinder face backwards.
The blocks fit by removing 2 of the bearing caps that the cam shaft runs in.

The link I posted above entitled "Cam Variator" will help a lot.
(Post Link) post #14 of 39 Old 01-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 t-spark

i recieved that thank you very much!! but like i said earlier, I think my timing is out due to the white tensioner . how do i corect that.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manus View Post
i recieved that thank you very much!! but like i said earlier, I think my timing is out due to the white tensioner . how do i corect that.

Do you mean the white tensioner is loose?
That shouldn't affect the timing in itself, unless the belt has slipped.
AO Platinum Member

Did you replace all the tensioners?

Did you also replace the ballance belt & aux belt and all the tensioners for those too.
(Post Link) post #17 of 39 Old 01-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 t-spark

my plan is to replace everything balance an cam, but i think that he belt slip 1 or 1/2 tooth on the right cam,not sure thats why I a asking how to make sure that it is correct
AO Platinum Member

As has been said.
You need the camlocks to make sure the timing is correct.
The cams are not locked to the cam pulleys so you need the camlocks to do the job properly anyway.

There is no way to do the job correctly without the camlocks.

Ideally you also want a dial gauge to accurately find TDC.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by manus View Post
hi I seriously need help, had problems with cambelt tesione now have to replace all,cannot take ar to dealer to far, hae a mechanic who is willing to help, i need to know if anyone has a rocedure to help me fit the new cambelts,also the belts are already off.
Haven't done the job myself (mine's going in to L&M in the next couple of weeks**) but i've got some info on my website from an AutoData CD and AlfaWorkshop has a guide on their website ...

** 'cos I'm in the middle of rebuilding my kitchen ...
jug
AO Silver Member

Quote:
The cams are not locked to the cam pulleys so you need the camlocks to do the job properly anyway.
i dont understand. can you please explain?
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Cam pulleys can move on end of cam once fixing bolts are loosened so the crank can be moved, putting the TDC position out against the cams ... bent valves ensue!
jug
AO Silver Member

but you dont even loosen those bolts unless you are using the cam locks

i think you misunderstand how it do it without cam locks. read any haynes manual and the process is described in detail.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
but you don't even loosen those bolts unless you are using the cam locks
Given that:
there are no timing marks on the camshafts
and
the cam pulleys are not fixed to the cams

How do you know that the cam timing is right before you start the job, let alone when you have finished.
You need the Alfa camlock tools to do the job right.
Any other way is a bodge.

The method described in a Haynes manual (which will not be for a 16v TS engine anyway) will assume that the cam pulleys are keyed & fixed to the cams and that there are timing marks.
jug
AO Silver Member

i cant be bothered to argue this point but i promise you you're wrong, ask any other mechanic, or read any haynes manual for any model of car.
(Post Link) post #25 of 39 Old 01-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 t-spark

okay guys i thank you all for the info, however i do not have cam locks the local dealer dont have. i am far from the nearest dealer seeing that i live in south africa,not allot of alfas around here! thats why I searched the net for help, i havent stated the job yet waiting for parts. just want know how i can do it without cam locks and if it is possible, and how to find tdc if belts are of the tensioner or rather not tensioned minor gap.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , cambelt , change

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page