Oil Pump Failure in 2.0 Engines ?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 26-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Crazed Oil Pump Failure in 2.0 Engines ??

Having read the Dec. AROC mag I noticed with interest details of a 156 2.0 JTS owner whose car had suffered oil pump failure at 20,000 mile, munching its engine !!

Whilst reasearching details about Alfa ownership before buying my own 156 over 4 years ago, Honest John's excellent car by car web guide did highlight "the worrying number of 2.0 engine failures due to oil starvation when the engines were full of oil points a finger to oil pump failure"

Is anyone aware of this regularly occurring with 2.0 engines as a problem/weakness ?? If it appears to be only a 2.0 related problem, do the technical/mechanical wizards on the forum think this is due to the odd duff oil pump being fitted by Alfa ?? or could it be caused by owners lack of attention eg, infrequent oil/filter changes, incorrect grade of oil ??

Any views/comments on what can cause an oil pump to fail ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Re: Oil Pump Failure in 2.0 Engines ??

I haven't ever heard of a TS or JTS engine with a faulty oil pump causing failure. I suspect many of the people on the honest John website have actually run the cars low on oil, but don't want to admit to it for warranty reasons. Often a car can be run low on oil and problems will not surface for a few thousand miles later, and when they do surface it just so happens the engine at that time has plenty of oil in it..
Oil pump failure is an exteremely rare occurance, although if you were to rebuild a well used engine they are often changed as a matter of course.

Simon.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170), BMW 335i Cabrio

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engines , failure , oil , pump

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page