156 2.0 cambelt/balancer belt kits - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 14-01-08 Thread Starter

156 2.0 cambelt/balancer belt kits

Hi All

I have serched the forum, but can't find exactly what I'm after.

I'm gonna do my cambelt and balancer belt very soon too. The aux belt tensioner bolt snapped off last Friday throwing the belt off too (very odd!). This and both of other belts and tensioners were done 32k miles ago by a main dealer for the previous owner. Having seen the aux tensioner fail, I panic that the others might be close behind.

Are to repro kits any good, or should I use genuine parts? I'm inclined to go genuine, but they don't seem very robust and cost a good bit more.

Glen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mikebrown

Re: 156 2.0 cambelt/balancer belt kits

always go for genuine parts..you may well pay a few more pennies but well worth it if your engine blows due to "duff" parts..

mike

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

The genuine parts are only available from Alfa and are seriously expensive compared to non-genuine. You can buy Dayco parts from shop4parts, or Continental (contitech) from Buypartsby.
I have bought both kits in the past and the tensioners are exactly the same as the original Alfa ones (metal upgraded ones)

I found the Contitech kits on buypartsby the cheapest ( I have them on my car now), I think for the cambelt and 2 tensioners it is around £45 and for a balance belt and tensioner £40 (if you need it). You will need to get the variator form EB spares, or shop4parts though.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
AO Gold Member

OE belts are Dayco, but Conti or Gates are fine too.

Alternative auto's are worth a try for the whole shebang though.
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

i use gates powergrip timing belts, widely regarded as the best belt money can buy. for the rest of the parts oem stuff will do.

on a 2001 2.0 model you need gates timing belt kit TBK035429XS which costs £100+VAT at your local motorfactor. that includes the tensioner and idler pulley.
(Post Link) post #6 of 11 Old 15-01-08 Thread Starter

Will I need to replace the variator? There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. I realise it's lots of work should it fail soon tho.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I would suggest changing it as a matter of course. It costs 80 for the part and about half hours extra labour.
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

there is no definitive answer, its completely up to you.

the variator is bascially just a solenoid. that solenoid will fail eventually, but you dont know if it will last 50k or 250k.

imo the variator should be changed if your car has done 100k+. i wouldnt change it if the car had done less than 65k. inbetween 65-100k i'd probably flip a coin and let the queen decide.
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 16-01-08 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

The variator was changed 32k ago when the belts were done the 1st time, so I'll probably leave it alone.
AO Gold Member

The Variator in my opinion should be changed at every belt service.

The item itself is not a solenoid, its an oil pressure activated device that advances the inlet camshaft when activated by it (external and easily replaced) solenoid.
(Post Link) post #11 of 11 Old 19-01-08 Thread Starter

Thanks for all your advice.

I have now got a kit 0f belts and tensioners Alternative Autos. Absolutely amazed at the value and genuine parts in sealed Alfa boxes too except the balnacer belt. This is by Dayco, which I believe is also OE.

Rain has stopped play in fitting it all and I think I need a few more tools. I've got the cam blocks, variator removal tool and cam tensioner tool. I need a balance tensioner tool and possibly cam pully locking tools

Do I need to slacken the camshaft pulleys off? I have read somehwere that I do. If so I will need the locking tools.

Thanks again

Glen

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , belt , cambelt or balancer , kits

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page