147 2. TS Crank Pulley Removal - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 17-09-16 Thread Starter

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

147 2. TS Crank Pulley Removal

Hi. Could some please tell me how to remove the crank pulley on my 147 2.0 TS engine. Do I need a articular type of pulley? Alos what type of spanner is required to undo the aux. belt idler? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Falkirk

Member car:

159SW;20VT Coupe

The aux belt adjustable tensioner and idler are both 15mm. I use a swan neck spanner especially on the 2l.
Did you mean a "puller" ? Maybe but mostly they will come off without just patience and lots of penetrating oil. Im talking about the pulley where the aux belt runs here.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 17-09-16 Thread Starter

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davffc View Post
The aux belt adjustable tensioner and idler are both 15mm. I use a swan neck spanner especially on the 2l.
Did you mean a "puller" ? Maybe but mostly they will come off without just patience and lots of penetrating oil. Im talking about the pulley where the aux belt runs here.
Thanks Davffc. Yes I did mean a puller. Sorry about the bad typing. From lookin at pictures on Google the aux belt pulley does nothave a Woodruff key so I assume it just fits on a small shoulder on the timing belt pulley.
AO Silver Member

County: -
There should be 4 x ribe head screws holding the aux belt pulley on. Undo those (if they're not too tight you can just use the correct sized hex driver) and the pulley should just come off, but if seized on some tapping/levering or a suitable puller may be needed.

For the idler I just used a normal 15mm socket. There isn't room for a ratchet spanner on the socket it so I gripped it with a big pair of vice grips or stilsons or similar.
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 18-09-16 Thread Starter

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_veloce View Post
There should be 4 x ribe head screws holding the aux belt pulley on. Undo those (if they're not too tight you can just use the correct sized hex driver) and the pulley should just come off, but if seized on some tapping/levering or a suitable puller may be needed.

For the idler I just used a normal 15mm socket. There isn't room for a ratchet spanner on the socket it so I gripped it with a big pair of vice grips or stilsons or similar.
Thanks sprint_veloce. I managed to get the aux belt pulley with a bit of gentle persuasion with a hammer and a bit of timber.
The aux belt idler pulley is now the concern. the bolt does seenm very tight, based on my attempts to use a standard combination spanner.
AO Member

County: Queensland

Member car:

Alfa 156

Use a piece of metal tubing/pipe over the end of the spanner as a "Force Multiplier", the tight ones will give a CRACK sound as the threads loose their grip.

I have to say, we have life soooo much easier here than you guys do . . . no snow, no salted roads, no bolt seizing corrosion.

Baz
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by scouse147 View Post
Thanks Davffc. Yes I did mean a puller. Sorry about the bad typing. From lookin at pictures on Google the aux belt pulley does nothave a Woodruff key so I assume it just fits on a small shoulder on the timing belt pulley.
Yeah, that's right;

IMG_3351.jpg Photo by monkeyrabit | Photobucket

FYI, the big bolt that holds the cam belt pulley on the crank has a left hand thread.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzbazz View Post
I have to say, we have life soooo much easier here than you guys do . . . no snow, no salted roads, no bolt seizing corrosion.
No gorillas in overalls doing up bolts far higher than the recommended torque figures either?

I found a 15mm 3/8" socket and 3/8" breaker bar works best, but the socket needs to be fairly shallow or ground down otherwise the breaker hits the chassis rail/body. A ring spanner works but you can't get quite the same leverage on the end and it's very tight down there.

When I did my belts last year I borrowed a cut-down socket off a forum member and it did make a very load crack when it finally let go. At first I had horrible visions of a snapped bolt!

cheers, Gary

HIS: ex-1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray. 10th Sep 1998 to 12th Jan 2017

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
147 , crank , pulley , removal

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page