Anyone Superchipped the 1.9 JTD engine? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 38 Old 14-01-08 Thread Starter

Anyone Superchipped the 1.9 JTD engine?

I have just paid my deposit for a red 9 month old 9,000 mile 1.9 JTD GT. (£15,250 which I think is good).

It is, as far as I can tell the best looking diesel apart from the Spider, so it will be mine as a new job and a long commute mean I can no longer use my 16 year old Porsche 911.

POWER is what I need though, so has anyone chipped the 1.9 JTD GT and if so has it fudged up the MPG?

Thanks for reading.
Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

alfa_147_jtd_16v

Re: Anyone Superchipped the 1.9 JTD engine?

Hi! Welcome to AO....the friendliest and most helpful place to come for Alfa Romeo's!

Good choice in the 1.9 but my personal opinion is, don't do it unless you are preparred to get clutch slippage much quicker than stock tuned engines, or you are preparred to fork out for an uprated clutch. If you read on the net you will find most people who have performance diesels (all makes, not just Alfa's) have clutch slip around the 30k miles mark (if you drive it carefully).
Hey, your in a GT, just enjoy the cruising and you will find the 150bhp more than enough when you rag it on the odd occasion!

BTW - big no no for SuperChips. I have heard bad stories with Alfas being chipped by them. If you do go down the remap route, use Angel Tuning or Autodelta or someone who knows Alfa's inside out. Plenty of other people on here will also be able to recommend you the correct people to go to!

n17

I put a plug in chip in my blackline, and im over the moon! takes 10mins to put and the same to take out when it goes in for service. The power is so much better in all gears. /www.kingquick.co.uk/

Very helpfull, i managed to get mine off ebay for £99.00 the site cost is £239.00 so check ebay first.
Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

Welcome Ben!

I had an ECU remap at ~30k and am now at ~44k with no clutch slippage, improved mpg and a big grin on my face everytime I go out in it

There's LOTS of advice/recommendations on the forum for remaps, chips, P-Boxes etc. I think we even have some discounts with certain of the larger mobile tuners (Angel, Celtic??).

Search in the GT Tech forum and you'll get lot's of advice (good/bad) from owners who've taken the plunge

Last edited by Jed; 14-01-08 at 19:41.
Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

Oh, and best colour choice too!!!

n17

One on ebay at the mo item number 190190373304 £99.00
EddieGTA

definitely no to superchips, heard horror stories on lancia's with them misinterpreting things and cocking up big time.

(Post Link) post #8 of 38 Old 15-01-08 Thread Starter

Thanks for getting back to me guys.

I think I'll run it stock for the time being and maybe go for it later down the line when I am used to the car as it is. That one on ebay looks tempting though!

Cheers,
Ben
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 Ti

go to red dot for chipping/tuning.

the 150 goes to 190/195 with ease, in the same way the 'thurlby VX astra' with the 888 chip does.
That car was featured on 5th gear back in summer, up against the VXR 240bhp turbo petrol. There was a car length in the drag race race and even less around the track.
That is basically the same engine.
Red Dot have the 888 map (I think) and there is supposed to be some sort of discount there making the usual £250 (inc VAT) even cheaper.
You also get the rolling road printouts, before and after to show your mates down the pub!
(Post Link) post #10 of 38 Old 15-01-08 Thread Starter

Now how did you know that having the rolling road print outs would really appeal to me?

195 bhp sounds awesome, maybe disease-als aren't so bad after all!

Where are red dot based?

Cheers,
Ben
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Quote:
Originally Posted by n17 View Post
One on ebay at the mo item number 190190373304 £99.00
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO........ Don't touch this.

ECU remap.

Angel, Celtic - mobile tuners recommended by members here.

Red Dot - Watford based tuning company. Originators of the millenium tuning software. Many people have had their alfa's tuned there, especially the diesels. I had mine done there too. If you are an alfaowner.com club member, then you also gain a 10% Discount off their already cheap prices. Only problem is you have to travel to watford. Their put the car on a rolling road too, so you aren't just given quoted figures on a piece of paper. You actually know the power output of the car before and after.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons View Post
Red Dot have the 888 map (I think) and there is supposed to be some sort of discount there making the usual £250 (inc VAT) even cheaper.
Yes, you need to be a club member.

My car scares me......

Thank you Red Dot.........

Enough said......

Chris
AO Silver Member

Red Dot web site.

Red Dot Racing
AO Member

superchips don't 'chip' a new car, modern ECUs are re Mapped. I had my megane 1.9 dci done by them, was a cracking job, power up by 25%.
(Post Link) post #16 of 38 Old 15-01-08 Thread Starter

Red dot sounds like the best option at the moment. Has anyone had or heard of any problems that can be side effects of this increase in power and messing with the ECU?

If remapped have people sent cars for services whilst in the Alfa Warrenty 3 years? Do Alfa do anything that would let them know your car has been tampered with?

So many questions! Sorry.
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben C4 View Post
Red dot sounds like the best option at the moment. Has anyone had or heard of any problems that can be side effects of this increase in power and messing with the ECU?

If remapped have people sent cars for services whilst in the Alfa Warrenty 3 years? Do Alfa do anything that would let them know your car has been tampered with?

So many questions! Sorry.
Ben
Ben The only problem I had was that the illumination brightness went down on the displayed temperature - but ran the dimmer down to 0 then up again and it went back to normal....

However I have so much torque - I have to be carefull how I put it in or I will get excessive clutch wear and slippage......but if you manage how you deliver it, it should not be a problem - my only problem is that I wish I had a Q car - as I would be able to deliver much better power to the wheels...

I raced a BMW 325 and mullard him - when he pulled up along side of me at some lights we were both grinning as we had a good ding dong coming out of Watford on the A41 - we both wound our windows down - he did not believe my car was a Diesel...in fact - 'F*** off mate that aint a Diesel'....was what he said when I told him...

Chris

Chris
AO Member

It will invalidate the warranty on anything related to the engine/gearbox etc. People often claim that the dealer will not be able to tell - however with Renault(and other manufacturers I guess) when the car is plugged into the diagnostic computer it tells them what engine map it is running, so they can see if it is different from standard.With superchips the new map is encrypted so the dealer cannot change it only overwrite it.

I think the reason some people have worries with superchips is that they were one of the first companies to offer "chips" and as with anything 1 person tells 10 people of a bad experience, but only 3 of a good experience. Lots of people have a mate of a mate of a mate who has had a bad experience of them. I can honestly say that they offer a fantastic service, if maybe a little costly.

Dickyb on here bought a 2nd hand superchip for his 33 off ebay, when it arrived it had a broken leg which had been soldered up - it didn't work, he contacted superchips and for £30 this supplied him with a brand new one, how many other companies would do that?

Before anyone accuses me of a vested interest I will admit that the dealer my dad and brother work for is also a Superchip dealer.
AO Platinum Member

Well I think the proof is in the pudding. Many of our members have ECU remaps on the car and many are still within warranty. This is not a problem. A select few have told the dealer and some have not.

The audi dealership in watford send their cars to Red Dot for a remap if their customers want that extra power to the diesel!!

The alfa diag software cannot see the remap, unless they specifically look for it. Have a chat with the dealer you have the warranty with first if you want.
AO Member

Forgot to mention Superchips give a 12 month/30k mile warranty for anything arising from the remap not covered by the car manufacturer.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGTblackline View Post
Forgot to mention Superchips give a 12 month/30k mile warranty for anything arising from the remap not covered by the car manufacturer.
You also forgot to mention the price.
Quote:

Alfa Romeo GT JTD 16V
2004 onwards
Engine type : Turbo-Diesel
Engine size : 1910 cm3
Cylinders : 4

Original bhp : 150
Original nm : 305
BHP increase : 28
NM gain : 42
Lb/Ft gain : 31

Price* : £499.00
I would like to point out that you gain more for a remap and that is half the price. I'm sorry that is a crazy amount.

I looked at the info for the 1.6 petrol.

120BHP gains of 6BHP... 6 BHP for £299????

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
You also forgot to mention the price.

I would like to point out that you gain more for a remap and that is half the price. I'm sorry that is a crazy amount.

I looked at the info for the 1.6 petrol.

120BHP gains of 6BHP... 6 BHP for £299????

It is a REMAP at Superchips, on the new ECUs you cannot change the chip.

There are always going to smaller gains on normally aspirated petrol engines, you can't just wind the boost up.If you look at other tuning companies they quote similar figures for NA applications

. People are prepared to pay much more for new exhaust/ air filter for same power gains. FWIW I have driven several NA petrol cars that have been chipped/remapped and couldn't tell any different, but on a turbo diesel it is a completely different story.

Out of interest what performance figures do Reddot/celtic quote? Is 178 Bhp and 347Nm not very good in comparison (seems cracking to me)
n17

If the car is under warranty, you cant go messing about with a re-map, spoke to a fella at the alfa garage about it, reckons they can suss it straight away and voids all warranty, hence why i went for a mod that can be taken out! and goes like a rocket. Easy and for £99.00 happy days
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGTblackline View Post
It is a REMAP at Superchips, on the new ECUs you cannot change the chip.

There are always going to smaller gains on normally aspirated petrol engines, you can't just wind the boost up.If you look at other tuning companies they quote similar figures for NA applications

. People are prepared to pay much more for new exhaust/ air filter for same power gains. FWIW I have driven several NA petrol cars that have been chipped/remapped and couldn't tell any different, but on a turbo diesel it is a completely different story.

Out of interest what performance figures do Reddot/celtic quote? Is 178 Bhp and 347Nm not very good in comparison (seems cracking to me)
I don't have the red dot/celtic figures to hand but I know angel do

1.9 16v JTDm “150” +45bhp / 55lb ft on the GT 1.9JTDM. And that's £350. Red dot should do the same for £250.

I don't have an issue with the gains anyway.. I have an issue with the price.

I have had my car remapped and I am fully aware that the gains are a 1/4 of that on a diesel.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n17 View Post
If the car is under warranty, you cant go messing about with a re-map, spoke to a fella at the alfa garage about it, reckons they can suss it straight away and voids all warranty, hence why i went for a mod that can be taken out! and goes like a rocket. Easy and for £99.00 happy days
Some tuners will put it back to standard if you ask, they give you original settings on disc, not sure if they will reinstall remap for free though.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , jtd , superchipped

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page