156 1.8 engine rebuild in situ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Andyboy

156 1.8 engine rebuild in situ?

I've been offered a 1999 V 156 1800 with a sick engine - there's a hole in No.1 piston and the head is in the boot - I'd say it's dropped a valve after a belt breakage.
Now - is it possible to remove the sump with the engine still in? The plan is to drop the sump, pull all four pistons/rods, replace the damaged piston with a 'good part worn' item, hone the bores with a glaze buster, new big end shells and rod bolts plus a rebuilt head. I don't fancy the idea of a 500+ used engine with the reputation these things have- I'd rather repair this one and know what's inside it!

Sound like a plan? I'm assuming the connecting rod cap bolts are the usual stretch bolts? It looks a fairly simple engine and have read up about locking the cams/slackening the cam pulley bolts when fitting the cambelt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Re: 156 1.8 engine rebuild in situ?

I am sure this can be done but I think it would be easier to drop the engine and gearbox out from underneath then dismantle it out of the car.

You can also check things like the clutch whilst it is apart.

That my view anyway.
Andyboy

Taking the engine out isn't really on as it's going to be doctored in a lock up.

As long as the crank journals are okay I'd leave the engine in the car. At least the head's been taken off already!

Has anyone taken one of these apart before?

jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

yes you can definately drop the sump to replace the bottom end on the 1.8TS.

its very encouraging to see you've already thought about piston ring losses and plan to use a glaze buster. they really do work, and you wont need to use new liners, but you will need to use new rings on every piston. the great thing about this method is you will regain perfect compression and reduce the oil consumption that plauges the TS engines.

personally i would get a cheap scrapyard engine (£150) that had good even compression, then do the cambelt job while it is off the car, then fit the engine. total cost will be less, plus its quicker and easier. but for personal satisfaction, and if i planned to keep the car long term, i would use your method.
AO Gold Member

It can be done, but you'll be wishing you had removed it.

Sump is a swine to remove in situ for a start.
Andyboy

Well, the car sold for well over £500. I viewed it at £250 maximum! (i.e scrap value). I've seen good runners sell for £800 at auction.......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , engine , rebuild , situ

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page