Engine diagnostic fault code - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 10-01-08 Thread Starter

Engine diagnostic fault code

Hi every one!
I am writing from düsseldorf where I live with my girlfrend (Hence Dean & Anjas toy)
The Mot was about to run out on old faithful ( Vw Golf GTi...Sorry) so after much umming and ahh ing we decided on a nice Alfa 147 twin spark (1.6) to avoid having to come back to Uk and re MOt tax and insure etc . So I went to pick it up this evening and on the 70Km drive home it was a bit hesitant I also had the following error code "fehler in Motor überwachungs system" which I think means there is a problem with the diagnostic system. Now before I left the dealer we checked the oil (topped up) and I fed it some 91 ron unleaded. I didn't abuse it ( I actually waited until it was warm before taking it over 3000) but noticed there was a hesitance , and a pop from the Cat. I stopped a couple of times and tweaked the leads on the sensors and the plugs(could have been injectors) and although a bit hesitant it still topped the 160Km/H (100Mph) mark still a bit concerned as this is my 1st taste of italian motoring and am wondering if there is worse to come I need re assuring !!!!!! it ( the 147 ) had been standing for around 3months
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Re: Engine diagnostic fault code

Welcome

Moved to 147 Tech Lounge
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire

If its been standing for 3 months you might need a new battery. That is the main cause of the diagnostic system playing up ... plus if the battery has run low or been disconnected, the ECU will reset and the car will be relearning fuel trims, etc ...

To make some basic checks, you can disconnect the MAF (Air Flow Meter) which is mounted in the air intake system. I think the MAF is just at the top of the air filter on a 1.6. If the car runs better with the MAF disconnected, then it's dying and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately sticking it on a diag system doesn't always show an error .. the MAF will only record a problem if it is dead.

And welcome to the forum ...

cheers, Gary

HIS: ex-1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray. 10th Sep 1998 to 12th Jan 2017

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean &anjas toy View Post
I fed it some 91 ron unleaded.
Are you kidding?! 91rom?! 95 is the minimum! Here's were you got the problem.

Welcome and have a pleasant staying. And post some shots of your new Alfa, please.
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean &anjas toy View Post
I fed it some 91 ron unleaded
the engine management system needs 95ron to run correctly, it can run with lower octane fuels but there will be almost constant pinking and power loss. before you try anything else get some 95ron fuel.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Or, if it is full, bung in some octane booster so as not to waste a tankful.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Oops I didn't read that bit ... 91 must be like running it on paraffin!
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Or vodka.
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 14-01-08 Thread Starter

thanks for all the posts(41 years old and still a lot to learn...hard to believe I actually work in the development side of the car industry "Ford"and have done so for the last 10 years... I also did a bit on Landing gear for the Airbus A380 so you might want to avoid that and go with the A320! )

the latest is Ive run it on 98RON over the weekend hopefully to dilute the 30€ I put in there on last thursday and its run a bit better since then.
The light finally Went out on Saturday ( Anja was driving and I have´nt heard the last of it!!!) and so far has stayed out.
drove back to the seller today (Monday) and the local ATU garage looked at it and confirmed what gazza82 said They also managed to break one of the sparkplugs off in the block but thankfully left enough of it intact to enable retrieval of the remnants ( Phew)

I thinK I will try and convince a friend of mine at work to plug his laptop into it and see if we can retrieve some fault codes)

Bought and downloaded an electronic workshopmanual ( 10 quid)so now have some ref material to look at.

Throttle man.
I am a bit old school when it comes to cameras and the only digi in the house belongs to the lady but Pictures will come ( when it stops raining)
Jug &Rob3rto,
I am going to stay with the high octane , I planning to come back to the Uk and for a few days with it and was thinking whether it was putting some Wynns injector cleaner through (Be nice! don`t kick me so hard this time).
1st Impressions are it will be a good drive when its finally running right.
And my first whinge.
Sun Visor fell off in My hand this morning and somebody keyed it in the Works car park ( Its a Köln Düsseldorf thing) which the seller managed to remove most of today.
so, So far so good and if the problem persists then its out with the diagnostic tools.
Thanks for the tips and I'll keep you all posted (BTW Jug The 156 is Nice!!)
Laters all
dean

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
code , diagnostic , engine , fault

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page