16v twin spark oil pump - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 21-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Sofia
16v twin spark oil pump

What oil pumps do people use when prepping an upgraded/more powerful twin spark 16v. A friend of mine recently tried to tune his 1.6 and it kept breaking mainly spinning its big end bearing, he tried numerous different oil pumps with the same result. He used a 10w60 igol ceramic oil. I know garages like AHM and H&S corse race these engine so they are not that fragile. What is the case then with the big end bearing issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
how long after the rebuild did the big end bearings fail?

Overheating of the oil is in my opinion the primary reason of big end bearing failures. Overheated oil depletes it's multifunctional (anti-wear + anti-oxydation) package quickly.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 21-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

So he had a 1.4 and a crank and con rods from the 1.6 to make it a 1.6 but with raised CR (because of higher pistons), changed the big end bearing with ACL big end bearings put a 2.0 head with cams and inlet and TB. And ran it about a month or 2 then failure new bearing new pump 3-4 months again... I can't imagine overheating that oil.. He uses it on his drag golf 1.8t 650hp.. And he also thinks there is a problem with oil flow. What is the reason TS run their oil hotter than other similar design engines?
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyle View Post
So he had a 1.4 and a crank and con rods from the 1.6 to make it a 1.6 but with raised CR (because of higher pistons), changed the big end bearing with ACL big end bearings put a 2.0 head with cams and inlet and TB. And ran it about a month or 2 then failure new bearing new pump 3-4 months again... I can't imagine overheating that oil.. He uses it on his drag golf 1.8t 650hp.. And he also thinks there is a problem with oil flow. What is the reason TS run their oil hotter than other similar design engines?
I don't have any TS engine sizes handy but here's in general:

Oil temperature is directly proportional to oil viscosity and shear rate of the oil. Shear rate of the oil is dependant on clearance between the moving parts and the speed those parts are moving relative to each other. The speed is dependant on rpm and stroke length (for friction in clinders) or bearing diameter.

Important to remember here is that the oil heats up due to internal friction.

Here's a graph froman engine test on the right side you see the bulk temperature of the oil, like a temperature gauge would show, and on the right you can see how hot the oil gets in the big ends for low load to high load conditions. As you can see, load has very little influence, but RPM is a huge contributor. 50C over what the oil temp gauge is showing is no biggie. Also remember that it only takes a minute or so of driving at the applicable speed to get those temperatures.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...emperature.jpg

And here you have a test engine where they took measurements at different locations to determine where the heat comes from and is going. Look at the big end temperatures again.

4000 rpm: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...crankshaft.jpg

6000 rpm: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...6000%20rpm.jpg

So, without knowing details for the 16v engine, I'd say it's compromised because it's a shared diesel engine design. There's a few solutions:

- wider bearing clearance. This would also help with flexing of the block.
- lower viscosity oil. probably not so good with extra wide clearance.
- better oil cooler.
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 23-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Shared diesel design?
AO Gold Member

yes, the jtd is in essence a twinspark on diesel

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
16v , oil , pump , spark , twin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page