TS 2.0 16V 1997 Ph1 engine ticking noise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 17-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -Worcestershire

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 24V

TS 2.0 16V 1997 Ph1 engine ticking noise

I've got a strange ticking noise on a Spider 1997 ph1 2.0 Twinspark engine. The noise is periodic, it can be heard ticking just above normal engine sound, ticks for around 5-7 seconds with a slight crescendo in sound, then stops for around 10-15 seconds, then on and off again roughly with the same intervals. This occurs after start up from cold and does not disappear when warm. The noise appears to be coming from the left side of engine around the belts, but at times it sounds like it's from the front right. The engine has done 57K and has been off the road for around 4 years. A fresh oil and filter change has not cured the problem. There is no history of the variator ever been replaced, cambelt, balance belt and tensioners were replaced at 47K.
Any ideas what could be the cause of this strange ticking noise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
Garage

Member car:

Italian cars

I think that noise comes from tappets or variator, but the variator's noise gets louder when the oil is hot and the rattle it makes is very caracteristic (like a Diesel)

Enviado desde mi 100C mediante Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 17-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoniokodo View Post
I think that noise comes from tappets or variator, but the variator's noise gets louder when the oil is hot and the rattle it makes is very caracteristic (like a Diesel)

Enviado desde mi 100C mediante Tapatalk
I'm suspecting the variator as well, but it's this periodic on/off ticketing noise that has me puzzled.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Probably is the variator. It has likely gone past the diesel noise at startup stage, and is no longer holding oil when the engine is running.

I also had a ticking noise on one of my 145's due to a loose spark plug.
AO Member

Member car:

Could it be evap valve solenoid?
Had a Peugeot once that started having periodic loud ticking sound after 17, 18 years. Thought something was wrong with the belt rollers. Turned out to be the evap valve solenoid.
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 Lusso

Nothing to do with the actuator! If your actuator went south it would be a permanent diesel like clatter once warm right through the rev range. When they are starting to grumble, it's rattling for more than the allotted 20 seconds on it is start up when cold but goes away after a few mins. The longer an actuator is left to go awry, the longer that clatter lasts until the above happens!

It's a pretty good chance that the sound you are hearing is your EVAP canister charging with excess fumes, once pressured it shuts the one way valve then purges through the intake system or back to the tank, then repeats the process. Totally normal albeit a little more noisy and noticeable with age. During normal driving conditions you won't hear it and that's when you know it's doing its job properly It's there to save as much fuel as possible during idle, engine braking and initial cold starting.... Look on the bright side, at least it's something on a your car operating exactly as it should.
Moral of the story!
Don't look for noises and automatically think it's going wrong my friend, enjoy it while it works well, and more importantly, save your money for when it doesn't instead of taking advice on replacing items that don't need to be yet?
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 03-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahameo View Post
It's a pretty good chance that the sound you are hearing is your EVAP canister charging with excess fumes, once pressured it shuts the one way valve then purges through the intake system or back to the tank, then repeats the process. Totally normal albeit a little more noisy and noticeable with age. During normal driving conditions you won't hear it and that's when you know it's doing its job properly It's there to save as much fuel as possible during idle, engine braking and initial cold starting.... Look on the bright side, at least it's something on a your car operating exactly as it should.
Moral of the story!
Don't look for noises and automatically think it's going wrong my friend, enjoy it while it works well, and more importantly, save your money for when it doesn't instead of taking advice on replacing items that don't need to be yet?
That sounds very plausible, and I'm glad if it is. I've gone ahead and had belts, variator and waterpump changed, not for this reason, but because replacement was overdue. The noise still persisted after this. Engine is running very well, fuel consumption is very good too, so I'm not going to worry about it.

The trouble with these Spiders as opposed to GTVs, is that when driving along with the roof down, one can be pick up on some unusual noises...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
16v , 1997 , engine , noise , ph1 , ticking

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page