Favourite A(lfa) Roads - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
East Midlands All events and potential meets in East Midlands

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 26-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDM

Favourite A(lfa) Roads

So, now Iíve got myself an Alfa again, Iím rediscovering the joy of actually driving for pleasure rather than the regular A-B commute or weekly trip to Morrisonís/B&Q etc. The question is, does anyone have a suggestion as to where I might go, in the nicest possible way, that is.

Where better than the Alfa Owners website to ask if any of you can recommend good driving roads in and about the Midlands. You know the sort. Smooth flat tarmac, sweeping bends, lovely scenery and no cameras? The type of road that makes you grin like a fool and feel glad you bought an Alfa.

I used to love the drive from the A5 down Fosse Way towards the Cotswolds until some jobsworth decided it would be a great idea to add a liberal sprinkling of speed cameras on the best bits. Most frustrating. There are some fantastic stretches of tarmac up and around the Burton on the Wolds area, and the A426 from Blaby to Lutterworth can be fun in short bursts when the 40mph Volvos, tractors and roadworks don't impede progress, but there must be many more around.

Where there's no speed camera, there's no speed limit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire
Matlock to Buxton for me
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Giulietta

There is a road in Leics (cant remember the name but is close to Queniborough) that myself and Halibut have had a couple of blasts on. Loads and loads of switchbacks.......gets the Q2 working hard
AO Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

159 1.9Ti-alike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeCopestake View Post
Matlock to Buxton for me
Is that the one known as the Cat and Fiddle run? That IS a good road. Just watch for police helecopters!

James
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Quote:
Originally Posted by perksy View Post
Is that the one known as the Cat and Fiddle run? That IS a good road. Just watch for police helecopters!

James
and Bikes
AO Silver Member

No it's the A6 and REALLY it's only any good from Ashford in the Water to Buxton

The Cat 'n' Fiddle (Buxton to Macclesfield) is the A537 and it USED to be a great road til they stuck all the specs cameras on it

Long Hill (Whaley Bridge to Buxton is the best direction) is a superb drivers road and also the Whaley to Macc road - came back from my dad's funeral over that road and I (in a 145 QV) saw off my bro's Impreza

Admittedly we're hitting the North West with those roads..

Via Gellia is good - A5102 Cromford to Newhaven - in both directions. If there's no traffic you can really get into a rhythm on it.

Last edited by Photodave; 30-01-11 at 00:18.
AO Silver Member

My current favourite road that I found last summer was the B664 just outside of Market Harborough- Uppingham. 11 miles of pure driving pleasure even in a 95bhp MiTo and most times I've been there, i've never really gotten stuck behind anything. . Drive to Uppingham, get some lunch and drive back because the return journey along the road is even more fun because of the lovely windy down hill bit.
(Post Link) post #8 of 20 Old 31-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitomatt View Post
My current favourite road that I found last summer was the B664 just outside of Market Harborough- Uppingham. 11 miles of pure driving pleasure even in a 95bhp MiTo and most times I've been there, i've never really gotten stuck behind anything. . Drive to Uppingham, get some lunch and drive back because the return journey along the road is even more fun because of the lovely windy down hill bit.

I've been on that road, though on a Harley (rented for a "big" birthday), rather than in an Alfa. Even though the big Street Bob isn't what you'd call a scratchers bike, the flow of the road made for a very rewarding ride, even at a relatively modest speed.

The old A50 from Wigston to Husbands Bosworth is pretty good fun too, especially around the Arnesby/Shearsby stretch. Not had a blas down there for a while though.
AO Gold Member

Garage
Nice little run I found coincidently whilst finding a cross country route to Sheffield

Fenny Bentley to Nether Haddon on the B5056. It's used by quarry traffic so try it on a weekend for best results Google Maps recognises those rather unique place names if you want to look it up. 13.6 miles mostly at unrestricted speeds, 'though you can't do it flat out, that would be too stressful.

PS can't believe you guys had a meet at the Salt Box (our favoured drop in cafe) and didn't invite me!

Last edited by Oggy_GTA; 01-02-11 at 16:27.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy_GTA View Post
Nice little run I found coincidently whilst finding a cross country route to Sheffield

Fenny Bentley to Nether Haddon on the B5056. It's used by quarry traffic so try it on a weekend for best results Google Maps recognises those rather unique place names if you want to look it up. 13.6 miles mostly at unrestricted speeds, 'though you can't do it flat out, that would be too stressful.
)
I know it well The Bentley Brook Inn is a good stop off as well - got it's own micro brewery if you have non-drivers to entertain

You can do that route at a fair pace if you don't go silly or meet other traffic. Incidentally it also crosses the Via Gellia road that I mentioned in my earlier post!

More unique place names not far from there: Ilam, Crowdecote ("cruffcut" to locals!), Onecote (still not sure how to pronounce it), Youlgreave, Monyash, Parsley Hay
AO Gold Member

Garage
Hi Dave,

It's pronounced "On-cut"

Glad there's another Alfa appreciating that road!

Sent via Tapatalk
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Hi Dave,

It's pronounced "On-cut"

Glad there's another Alfa appreciating that road!

Sent via Tapatalk
thanks for that - lived in Derbyshire since I was 3 so I THOUGHT it might be that but until you hear someone say it (or get the above assistance!)......

It was a great road to do in my old 145 QV with superflexed lower arms as was Via Gellia. The 20v 156 isn't quite as agile but it does OK now i've "done" the suspension

Ever been over the Pentrich Common road from the A610 at Buckland Hollow to Oakerthorpe btw? (oo two more strange names! Always think the first place should be in Lord of the Rings!). That's a great little blast, which I do a lot......
AO Gold Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photodave View Post
thanks for that - lived in Derbyshire since I was 3 so I THOUGHT it might be that but until you hear someone say it (or get the above assistance!)......

It was a great road to do in my old 145 QV with superflexed lower arms as was Via Gellia. The 20v 156 isn't quite as agile but it does OK now i've "done" the suspension

Ever been over the Pentrich Common road from the A610 at Buckland Hollow to Oakerthorpe btw? (oo two more strange names! Always think the first place should be in Lord of the Rings!). That's a great little blast, which I do a lot......
Not heard of any of those names, but that doesn't necessarily mean I haven't travelled those roads - I've been lost a few times exploring! I'l look them up in Google.

ps {whispers} Onecote is in good ol' "Staffy-cher", not quite Derbyshire!

pps The Staffordshire-Derbyshire border in the west of the peak district is God's own country ... there's nowhere more like "The Shire" in our fair country ... bringing a tear to my eye with pride
AO Gold Member

Garage
Another favourite - man you can seriously test your car over this one - Cutthorpe to Beeley

Main Rd/B6050 to Chesterfield Rd - Google Maps

... and yes, Dave, I'm sure you realise the previous route is tacked onto this one
Global Mod Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlewi View Post
There is a road in Leics (cant remember the name but is close to Queniborough) that myself and Halibut have had a couple of blasts on. Loads and loads of switchbacks.......gets the Q2 working hard
Aw, beat me to it.
Mmmm, twas a rather good run.
I will get round to getting the video up sometime....just gotta work out how it's done.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Another favourite - man you can seriously test your car over this one - Cutthorpe to Beeley

Main Rd/B6050 to Chesterfield Rd - Google Maps

... and yes, Dave, I'm sure you realise the previous route is tacked onto this one
I know it well (again ) In fact it used to be on my route to work when I lived over near New Mills and worked in Chesterfield. Nearly put my car into the trees trying to do what was essentially a 50mph corner at nearer 85... (much younger and wilder!)

And I apologise for accidentally implying the county home of Onecote - I wasn't really intending to make em all sound like they were Derbyshire places but I see how it reads now...

Again out that way, the A623 used to be a good run between Chapel en le Frith and Baslow but it's so restricted now it's taken all the fun out of it

If there's no-one on it, Hathersage to Grindleford via the B6001 is another fun one!
AO Gold Member

Garage
I used the route when I worked in Chessie too (after the office moved from Sheffield).

Haven't tried the Hathersage route(I don't think) but the Sheffield road to Baslow (via Curbar) is another blast - seems I like the moorland routes
AO Silver Member

Me too - I love going out on the moorland roads in the Peaks. Just a shame so many are getting restricted and "specced".

The A54 from up near the Cat n Fiddle pub down to the A523 used to be a favourite of mine. In fact it's still pretty good the other side, down to Congleton. Got my old Sierra (again many years ago) all four wheels off the ground going down it!

That's been "neutered" as a driving experience too, now.....
AO Gold Member

Garage
They sure have been restricted. However, fewer than 10% of speed cameras are active in Staffs ... hmmm...

I reckon we could put together a Derbys-Staffs Evo triangle with some of these routes included
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I reckon we could put together a Derbys-Staffs Evo triangle with some of these routes included
You know what, I think that's more than possible. Even in this day and age there are plenty of good routes that could be combined I reckon!

It reminds me, too, that a really good "triangle" even though part of it is now restricted, is Long Hill (Whaley Bridge to Buxton), Cat 'n' Fiddle (Buxton to Macc), "Macc Road" (Mac to Whaley Bridge). That's about 30 miles round trip. When I was young and fit I used to do it on my pushbike too - got a 19 mph average for it once!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > East Midlands

Tags
alfa , favourite , roads

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page