The AOEM Sloe infused beverage competition - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
East Midlands All events and potential meets in East Midlands

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 48 Old 24-10-10 Thread Starter
Status: Black pump
AO Silver Member
 
gtlewi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Posts: 5,696

Member car:

Giulietta

The AOEM Sloe infused beverage competition

Right this is an idea from our most Fishy member that myself and Bradders agreed too and have this afternoon been out picking Sloe Berries with Halibut. You are welcome to join our ridiculous charade of a competition................its really an excuse for a massive drinking session sometime next year when the Sloes have worked their magic. We will require photographic evidence with regular updates

Here is mine; a heady concoction of tequila, sloes and caster sugar
IMG00015-20101024-1924.jpg

Last edited by gtlewi; 24-10-10 at 19:26.
gtlewi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Devoid of gorm
Global Mod Team
 
Halibut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Germany & Belgium
Posts: 7,558
Garage
Yay! Looking good buddy.
Had such a laugh today picking the sloes. Best bit was lewi getting told off by a farmer who was unimpressed with bradders and I picking sloes from a tree in his field.

You've got a whole lot of jar shaking to do to get all that sugar dissolved.

I'm still pricking my berries.
Halibut is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 48 Old 24-10-10 Thread Starter
Status: Black pump
AO Silver Member
 
gtlewi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Posts: 5,696

Member car:

Giulietta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Yay! Looking good buddy.
Had such a laugh today picking the sloes. Best bit was lewi getting told off by a farmer who was unimpressed with bradders and I picking sloes from a tree in his field.

You've got a whole lot of jar shaking to do to get all that sugar dissolved.

I'm still pricking my berries.
Yeah thanks for leaving me to get the rollicking



I am planning on shaking the jar everyday until the sugar has dissolved

Had a bloody brilliant time, loved your tarzan impression
gtlewi is offline  
Status: Devoid of gorm
Global Mod Team
 
Halibut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Germany & Belgium
Posts: 7,558
Garage
Mmmm, I think I should leave climbing trees to those wtih a leaner frame than mine. So much fun tho.

I'm still pricking.
Should begin the alcohol infusion soon tho.
Halibut is offline  
Status: Married
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
braddersR's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 650
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 42,781
I've been to the shops...bought some stuff...and have just finished pricking me sloe's ... my left scratched hand is now stinging really bad ...and how the hell do i get me fingers clean

I've also rewashed me sloe's to get the rest of the durt of 'em after the spillage
braddersR is offline  
Status: Devoid of gorm
Global Mod Team
 
Halibut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Germany & Belgium
Posts: 7,558
Garage
OK, here's my attempt at Sloe Vodka.
Sloes, Caster sugar, vodka, Cinnamon sticks.
Done.

Right hand stinging quite a lot after being ripped apart by thorns and prolonged exposure to sloe juice whilst pricking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture1.jpg (40.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Halibut; 24-10-10 at 21:51.
Halibut is offline  
Status: Devoid of gorm
Global Mod Team
 
Halibut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Germany & Belgium
Posts: 7,558
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddersR View Post
I've been to the shops...bought some stuff...and have just finished pricking me sloe's ... my left scratched hand is now stinging really bad ...and how the hell do i get me fingers clean

I've also rewashed me sloe's to get the rest of the durt of 'em after the spillage
Super!
So what booze have you chosen?

Me thinks a pair of gloves might be a good plan next time.
Halibut is offline  
Status: R.I.P Allan Simonsen
AO Silver Member
 
philoldsmobile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Buckinghamshire
Posts: 4,191
hmmm. gonna be doing some sloe harvesting myself over the next week, methinks..
philoldsmobile is offline  
Status: Outside Context Problem
AO Silver Member
 
Dfens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 2,592
Tonnes of sloes round here.

I have 2 litres of sloe gin on the go since this time last month - to my mum's secret recipe!
Dfens is offline  
Status: R.I.P Allan Simonsen
AO Silver Member
 
philoldsmobile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Buckinghamshire
Posts: 4,191
is it possible to misidentify the sloe?


the walk to work has shown itself to be packed with sloe berries.. before i pick them and commit to gin, anyone a sloe expert? can they be confused with anything poisonous, or are they a no brainer.

I see a good supply of dark purple berries with a dusty surface, growing against the branch on a thorny bush..

Sloes?
philoldsmobile is offline  
happy man
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddersR View Post
I've been to the shops...bought some stuff...and have just finished pricking me sloe's ... my left scratched hand is now stinging really bad ...and how the hell do i get me fingers clean

I've also rewashed me sloe's to get the rest of the durt of 'em after the spillage
Who'd have thought Bradders with durty fingers and durty berries

Looks like great fun I hope you lot don't kill too many brain cells with that stuff
 
Status: Married
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
braddersR's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 650
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 42,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy man View Post
Who'd have thought Bradders with durty fingers and durty berries

Looks like great fun I hope you lot don't kill too many brain cells with that stuff
You'd have loved the moment Halibut released a branch that sprun back and knocked the bowl of sloe's clean out of Lewi's hands and onto the forest floor

our local rep foraging on all fours picking up everything and some sloe's
braddersR is offline  
happy man
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Sounds like a real laugh mate

I hope you all had gloves and safety glasses
 
Status: Married
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
braddersR's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 650
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 42,781
Ok... bradders special brew Sloooooooooooooooooe drink

It's gonna knock ya socks off
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03406.jpg (52.6 KB, 3 views)
braddersR is offline  
Status: Married
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
braddersR's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 650
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 42,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy man View Post
Sounds like a real laugh mate

I hope you all had gloves and safety glasses

Gloves ...check

safety glasses... yep..I had me glasses on

Wellies ....check

Hard hat ... in the boot of the car ... the thought was there
braddersR is offline  
Status: Im now Boris!!!
AO Silver Member
 
James125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Highlands
Posts: 3,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddersR View Post
Ok... bradders special brew Sloooooooooooooooooe drink

It's gonna knock ya socks off
Not another bloody sock thread haha
James125 is offline  
happy man
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Status: Devoid of gorm
Global Mod Team
 
Halibut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Germany & Belgium
Posts: 7,558
Garage
Drunk

Well, after 11 hours of infusion and a bit of a shake, we have the beginnings of the beautiful red colouration I expect to see.

Bloomin eck bradders! How much sugar? That's gunna be syrupy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture2.jpg (37.3 KB, 3 views)
Halibut is offline  
Status: Married
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
braddersR's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 650
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 42,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Well, after 11 hours of infusion and a bit of a shake, we have the beginnings of the beautiful red colouration I expect to see.

Bloomin eck bradders! How much sugar? That's gunna be syrupy.
there's more than just sugar in there lad
braddersR is offline  
Status: Devoid of gorm
Global Mod Team
 
Halibut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Germany & Belgium
Posts: 7,558
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by philoldsmobile View Post
is it possible to misidentify the sloe?


the walk to work has shown itself to be packed with sloe berries.. before i pick them and commit to gin, anyone a sloe expert? can they be confused with anything poisonous, or are they a no brainer.

I see a good supply of dark purple berries with a dusty surface, growing against the branch on a thorny bush..

Sloes?
I'm no expert, but if they're growing on a blackthorn tree/bush....then you've probably got the right ones.
Halibut is offline  
Status: Married
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
braddersR's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 650
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 42,781
erm... forgot to shake my berries this morning
braddersR is offline  
Status: Devoid of gorm
Global Mod Team
 
Halibut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Germany & Belgium
Posts: 7,558
Garage
I hope my neighbours are shaking my mine for me.
Halibut is offline  
Status: Married
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
braddersR's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 650
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 42,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
I hope my neighbours are shaking my mine for me.
hmmm an interesting concept
braddersR is offline  
Status: Deleted
AO Gold Member
 
jillyflower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Peterborough, Cambs
Posts: 10,975
You lot are sooooo behind. If you recall Bradders I had a rather long status conversation going on on fb when you broke AO as I was sitting pricking my sloes. Bottling up this weekend. And yes TOO much sugar in that.....you'll have to 'water' it down with some more alcohol
jillyflower is offline  
Status: Married
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
braddersR's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 650
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 42,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyflower View Post
You lot are sooooo behind. If you recall Bradders I had a rather long status conversation going on on fb when you broke AO as I was sitting pricking my sloes. Bottling up this weekend. And yes TOO much sugar in that.....you'll have to 'water' it down with some more alcohol
on which occassion was it that I broke AO.... there seem to have been one or two
....and what do ya mean ...tooo much sugar.... thought i'd give it the liquer feeling
braddersR is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > East Midlands

Tags
aoem , beverage , competition , infused , sloe

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome