Badger & a gatso!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
East Anglia All events and potential meets in East Anglia

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 04-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

GTV V6

Badger & a gatso!!

on the a428, as it becomes a dual carriageway heading towards Cambridge, I took out a badger. Which sadly took out a part (undiagnosed at the moment..) of my exhaust. Cue a ridiculous amount of noise (from the exhuast - not the badger). Which was fun until I considered the cost of fixing it. Damn and blast!

Then as I head in to Fen Ditton, a speed camera goes off. I was doing less than 30 and was quite a way away from it, so can only assume that the car going the other way must have somehow set it off - he must have been doing 40+. I'm still worried! Neither event has left me in a happy mood, hence i'm still up at 2am.

I'll have to jack her up tomorrow and see what I can find. Fingers crossed for the cheapest option having just spent many !

I love cars, I hate cars, I love cars...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

crazycarb

Don't worry, Firstly, I'll doubt it was you who set it off, and secondly if it was you and it's your first offence you'll be invited to a speed awareness course.
Unfortunately for me, I did one but still somehow managed to go on and get 11 points on my licence with SP30's, so now I have to drive like the Mother Superior.

(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 04-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6

haha oh dear.

Well I already have three.

It certainly wasn't me who set it off, its just one of those things that worries you even though you know it shouldn't. I spent two hours reading about all kinds of things related to speed cameras, which set my mind at ease slightly.

On investigation of my exhaust just now, its slap bang in front of the cats - is that going to be the mid pipe or the manifold? Either way I need to get it to a garage. Bank balance says Kwik Fit, common sense says hire a truck to take it to Jamie in Royston. Ouch either way.
Unregistered

County: Suffolk

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdobie View Post
haha oh dear.

Well I already have three.

It certainly wasn't me who set it off, its just one of those things that worries you even though you know it shouldn't. I spent two hours reading about all kinds of things related to speed cameras, which set my mind at ease slightly.

On investigation of my exhaust just now, its slap bang in front of the cats - is that going to be the mid pipe or the manifold? Either way I need to get it to a garage. Bank balance says Kwik Fit, common sense says hire a truck to take it to Jamie in Royston. Ouch either way.
Kwik fit!! They certainly won't help your bank balance, I was quoted 500 just for the centre section on mine ended up getting a complete stainless jobby from powerflow for the same money. I know yours is a different scenario but for heavens sake take to Jamie, least he knows what he's doing.

As for the Gatso, I had the same thing happen to me. I was doing well under the speed limit as traffic was dictating speed and yet the bleeding thing still flashed, it's not uncommon for other factors like on coming cars to set them off. I didn't receive anything after three weeks of waiting on baited breath were you still in the zone at the time it went of? coz you need to have reached the last chevron before it goes off and the Gatso does judge between the first and last one. Even so if you do then contest it vehemently.
AO Gold Member

County: Peterborough, Cambs
Oh dear..... Poor you.....

Do as the others have told you............

Take a BIG DEEP breath and...................................Take it to Jamie

You know it's the right thing

Bless x
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Don't rush in with your money in any case, and do NOT sign and send back the NIP. That is an admission of guilt. Tell them you have to ascertain who was driving the car - yes, I know, owner now responsible - allowing you to visit site (after you have demanded the photographs) and having checked on the law look for signs which do not comply, anything (vegetation, etc) which obscures the signs, or other problematic items such as accuracy of the Gatso. You could then bypass the Safety (sic!) Camera Partnership and address a careful letter to the Chief Constable questioning as many things as possible. You need true grit and lots of patience so allow yourself up to nine months to get a result, as they'll probably get fed up anyway. No suggestion that you should make the Gatso a present of a necklas (petrol filled tyre) but if anyone does then don't forget the bunch of red carnationms next day...................
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
Just a thought - if you do get a NIP and don't send it back giving details of the driver within 28 days that is another offence entirerly and will get you six points regardless of the alleged speeding offence. Your insurance company won't be best pleased either. As you have already said you were driving little can be gained by delaying it.

On the bright side - as has been said it seems unlikely that you will hear anything - but if you do - Good Luck.
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 08-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6

Thanks for the help guys

Took the car to Jamie - another 400! That's 1200 in 6 weeks. Could being unemployed be any worse!? Obviously, I know it could.

As for the speeding stuff, I had a look (hours) and it seems that gatso type cameras are configured so that they can flash at cars going the 'wrong' way. However, you can't be prosecuted if you are flashed going towards a gatso camera. Normally they are set to quite high speeds, which would explain why it went off shortly after I passed it as there was a plonker doing well over 40 going the other way. My mind is at ease now.

Just for clarification purposes, this is only the case with the original gatso cameras - not the more recent - but similar looking - models of speed camera that rely on different technology.

Thanks again

Andrew

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > East Anglia

Tags
badger , gatso

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page