A classy meet for classy cars? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
East Anglia All events and potential meets in East Anglia

crazycarb

A classy meet for classy cars?

I just cocked up big style, by putting something similar on the GTV/spider forum and not E Anglia....So, here it is in a nutshell again.
Reading some of the other areas forums, I notice they are quite happy to belittle their cars by meeting at some minging old converted shipping container called a "cafe" to sit and eat lard & chips.
What about an E Anglian meet where we can show all onlookers what our cars are all about, by meeting at a nice restaurant for a top quality meal and do our Italian marques proud?
I suggest a black tie event at some stage.
On a Sunday, the Italians would not dream of walking the promenades without dressing stylishly, and us Brits are really a bunch of dossers!
C'mon, show the onlookers what style is about and lets get a meet worthy of our cars and not some shed where they have to endure diesel truck fumes whilst we indulge in some festering plate of fried ****?? One a year would be great!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Peterborough, Cambs
Perhaps you'd like to come along to the Peterborough Italian Festval this year? OOdles of Italian culture there as we have a large Italian community here. Otherwise you could come and pick me up and take me to some posh cosmopolitan eatery and I'll put my heels on
AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyflower View Post
Perhaps you'd like to come along to the Peterborough Italian Festval this year? OOdles of Italian culture there as we have a large Italian community here. Otherwise you could come and pick me up and take me to some posh cosmopolitan eatery and I'll put my heels on
Hey... I'm first to pick you up in my red Gtv with my tan leather interior and wearing my italian tan leather shoes lol and being of italian descendant (my great grandmother), I'll show you a very classy italian place to eat

'Me first'
crazycarb

The Peterborough Italian festival sounds good, providing that...............A few weeks ago, a bunch of Italians set up an "Italian mkt" in the Ark shopping centre in Bury st Edmunds and oh, what a disappointment! There were several stalls selling sweets which were probably sourced from the local Bookers c & c, The Olive man was there (We adore Olives, and they are great with some fresh flat leaf parsley & goats cheese for breakfast). Only the olive man, I believe is Morroccan and has his stall on Bury mkt. There was Turkish delight??? Not sure what that was all about, and to cap it all a Baclava stall which correct me if I'm wrong, started life in Greece?
So....I hope the Peterborough "do" isn't going to have such people as E. Europeans called "Guissepe & Luigi" who work in the brussel sprout fields during the week, selling "Quality, fresh as Mama made it Pizzas" that they Bought from ASDA off last nights yellow sticker price drop trolley.

AO Gold Member

Nope you will find that it IS a truly Italian affair through and through. We had a great time last year, parked our bella's right outside the town hall, sat outside drinking coffee, watched the Italian festivities, ate freshly cooked Italian food... wandered around in the sun, not quite as warm as Italy Didn't bother mobbing the Italian celeb chef tho..... However all in all a great day and I know that folks who came from afar and four newbies very much enjoyed themselves
AO Member

Member car:

500 Abarth

When is this meeting Jilly ? Sorry couldn't make today's meet but been in London for rugby.
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
A proper do sounds good, must be a nice italian restaurant around these parts!
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG. View Post
When is this meeting Jilly ? Sorry couldn't make today's meet but been in London for rugby.
Hi Steve. Sounds like you're full well now Hope you weren't playing ruggers...

The italian festival is usually in September and seems to be growing in popularity each year.

If folks wanted to make it something a bit more dressy then we could look at booking a table in a restaurant locally for the evening after the festival.

Any thoughts/ suggestions welcome
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonnmeister View Post
A proper do sounds good, must be a nice italian restaurant around these parts!
You'd like to think so..............
AO Silver Member

Quote:

The italian festival is usually in September and seems to be growing in popularity each year.

If folks wanted to make it something a bit more dressy then we could look at booking a table in a restaurant locally for the evening after the festival.

Sounds good to me I'll be there
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Checkout Riva at the Key Theatre one of my usual haunts.

The Italian food in there is spot on.
AO Member

Member car:

500 Abarth

Cry Like A Baby

Quote:

Not playing, just watching our guys getting a mugging Certainly interested in attending in September.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cowboy View Post
Checkout Riva at the Key Theatre one of my usual haunts.

The Italian food in there is spot on.
Cheers SC not been in there for years, only other Italian place I'd go is the Pizza House.......or my kitchen
crazycarb

The Pizza house? I'm not that familiar with eateries in your area, but sadly that sounds like it's going in a downwards spiral towards students eaterie land.
I'm thinking more along the lines of Marco Pierre whites restaurant, with the Alfas lined up outside.

AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarb View Post
The Pizza house? I'm not that familiar with eateries in your area, but sadly that sounds like it's going in a downwards spiral towards students eaterie land.
I'm thinking more along the lines of Marco Pierre whites restaurant, with the Alfas lined up outside.
I think you should head 'south' mate!! Apparently we have just had opened a Carluccio's.....yet to try! The Pizza House is an authentic Italian ...just what it says on the 'tin'.

Everyone is VERY welcome in my kitchen though
crazycarb

Quote:
I think you should head 'south' mate!! Apparently we have just had opened a Carluccio's.....yet to try! The Pizza House is an authentic Italian ...just what it says on the 'tin'.

Everyone is VERY welcome in my kitchen though

Whoa! Head south? I thought you were in Peterborough? Surely thats on the road to Scotland from Suffolk?

AO Member

Wave Dizzy Crab

Quote:
Whoa! Head south? I thought you were in Peterborough? Surely thats on the road to Scotland from Suffolk?
Do we have someone here who is a bit out of our league......! Could try one of the fake rip-off Italian eateries in London or what about a trip to Rome where you could get a nice pre-weighed portion of authentic pizza. Problem is that most of these places are nothing more than a rip off beloved by poseurs. Nothing to stop anyone polishing up their car and go plonk it outside some pretentious place if they wish. Seriously, most people nowadays probably use their Alfa as a workhorse and are struggling so unable to indulge in too many frivolities. (Now, I expect I've upset someone but maybe there's a nearer route to Scotland without the need to go through Peterborough - and without heading South..!)
crazycarb

Well, you certainly haven't upset me. I can take a good ribbing and I have the sort of sense of humour that can swallow anything thrown at me. You've never met me, I'm just a cyber creature.
If you wish to have a breakfast meet and display your car in a puddle filled layby whilst sitting in a converted shipping container cramming quarter cut fried bread into your mouth, and assaulting your stomach with lard whilst having the remnants of a runny fried egg dripping down yer chin and into your mug of tea.
Your precious car can await your return having watched (whilst you ate your gourmet breakfast) an Eastern European truck driver urinate up the side of the converted shipping container.
You can then belch and fart back to your car patting your stomach and admire your car that has systematically been splashed with muddy water by trucks entering & leaving the layby.
Quite often, I will be happy to do this, when in my campervan, but the Alfa is not a "workhorse" and wasn't bought for that purpose. It is our "going out to tea in" car, and yes,it is nice for people to admire it.
I also like, (when I can afford it), well cooked fresh food using fresh ingredients and if I have to pay for this, am perfectly willing to do so. I also like trying authentic foods from around the world.
Quite recently, I took my wife to a certain restaurant and had the best nouvelle cuisine meal I have ever had.
You will have seen that my initial post, was for a meet ONCE a year, where we could get together and have ONE annual meet at a quality restaurant renouned for it's quality ingredients and high standard of preparation and cooking, where our cars could also be on show.
We will love to attend the Italian day in P'boro, but probably would not want to hang around till the evening to go to Pizza hut or whatever it is, but lunch would be nice.. That would not be the "meet" that was initially on my mind.

AO Gold Member

OK steady on chaps

The Peterborough Italian Festival is on the weekend of the 21st and 22nd of September this year. I'd like some indication of how many cars are REALLY interested as, like most things, I need to complete a form and return it asap.

I will put an event thread up over the weekend so that you can ALL RSVP yes!
crazycarb

Def interested...It's a 2 day event is it? Would we be showing our cars? We will certainly make the 21st, but the 22nd would be a problem.
Off now in the spider for a weekend in Nottingham.

AO Member

Cottonwool cars! Message from one of thre hoi poloi...!

Quote:
Well, you certainly haven't upset me. I can take a good ribbing and I have the sort of sense of humour that can swallow anything thrown at me. You've never met me, I'm just a cyber creature.
If you wish to have a breakfast meet and display your car in a puddle filled layby whilst sitting in a converted shipping container cramming quarter cut fried bread into your mouth, and assaulting your stomach with lard whilst having the remnants of a runny fried egg dripping down yer chin and into your mug of tea.
Your precious car can await your return having watched (whilst you ate your gourmet breakfast) an Eastern European truck driver urinate up the side of the converted shipping container.
You can then belch and fart back to your car patting your stomach and admire your car that has systematically been splashed with muddy water by trucks entering & leaving the layby.
Quite often, I will be happy to do this, when in my campervan, but the Alfa is not a "workhorse" and wasn't bought for that purpose. It is our "going out to tea in" car, and yes,it is nice for people to admire it.
I also like, (when I can afford it), well cooked fresh food using fresh ingredients and if I have to pay for this, am perfectly willing to do so. I also like trying authentic foods from around the world.
Quite recently, I took my wife to a certain restaurant and had the best nouvelle cuisine meal I have ever had.
You will have seen that my initial post, was for a meet ONCE a year, where we could get together and have ONE annual meet at a quality restaurant renouned for it's quality ingredients and high standard of preparation and cooking, where our cars could also be on show.
We will love to attend the Italian day in P'boro, but probably would not want to hang around till the evening to go to Pizza hut or whatever it is, but lunch would be nice.. That would not be the "meet" that was initially on my mind.
Nice one! I can quite understand that some people like to use their cars, and do other things, as a 'statement' to show their wealth or exalt their position in society, looking down on the hoi poloi who resort to "Pitza hut or whatever". Problem is annual get-togethers are usually pre-Christmas meal when it's dark and the roads muddy so not good for displays. Everyone to their own but it never fails to amaze me when the Ferrari is in use as our "daily driver" and people tell you you should not use it as a "going out to a car boot sale or supermarket" car.
AO Silver Member

crazycarb

Well, if an Annual get together can only be reserved for Christmas, I find that a little sad.Never mind, I'll light a candle for you
Anyway, popped up to Nottingham today to do a bit of exalting and statement making whilst looking down on folk and the car ran like a dream. It appears to be returning a good MPG and the engine also appears to be still quite tight.
Can't wait till the spring and summer, when I can drop the hood and then do some mass exalting and statement making with the breeze through our hair whilst going peasant spotting.
Looks like I aint going to fit in here, it appears the fried bread meister has taken a total dislike to me, looks like I'll have to be a gung ho loner.

Last edited by crazycarb; 10-02-13 at 17:07.

crazycarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrotsucker View Post
Do we have someone here who is a bit out of our league......! Could try one of the fake rip-off Italian eateries in London or what about a trip to Rome where you could get a nice pre-weighed portion of authentic pizza. (Now, I expect I've upset someone but maybe there's a nearer route to Scotland without the need to go through Peterborough - and without heading South..!)
It's very unfortunate that you have been subject to the kind of food you describe to us in Rome.
On my visits to the city and Italy in general, I have always ensured that we eat where the "locals" eat, where you will enjoy a fantastic meal at very little cost.
If you insist on eating Pizza in the tourist squares, you will no doubt be subject to tourist exploitation.

AO Member

Member car:

500 Abarth

Will put this in my diary

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > East Anglia

Tags
cars , classy , meet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page