Where to get braided brake hose upgrade locally? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
East Anglia All events and potential meets in East Anglia

Stupidname

Where to get braided brake hose upgrade locally?

After my remap and an induction kit, my next project is to improve the brakes. Some wise folk here have suggested that before I even think about whizzy discs & pads I should upgrade to braided hoses first.

I live on the Norfolk/Suffolk borders (well, someone has to), and I'd be really interested in your opinions if you've had this done AND recommendations as to where to go....

Can anyone help?

Cheers!

Last edited by Stupidname; 21-07-09 at 13:01.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Suffolk
Avanti in Ipswich just done my front discs and pads for a reasonable price, however they were just standard parts. They have a car you can borrow, but you probably won't need that, as you've got your green Fiat Qubo

Last edited by Wibble; 22-07-09 at 11:54.
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

An Alfa

Alfashop in Norwich did the ones on my 155...
Stupidname

Hmmm - I emailed Avanti a week ago and had no reply. Not good. I'll try Alfashop - thanks to ya both. But more importantly - - has doing it made a big difference?

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Essex
I dont think they reply to emails to be honest , I sent them one months back and didnt get a reply so I ended up calling them up.

Also best bet is to call Mr. Alfashop , hes a top guy and really easy to talk to
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

If you really want to have a good set-up, give RAT Developments a call. (01522 779233) Road and Track Developments - RAT Home page

They WERE going to do straight through braided all the way but i decided to buy some blue things from POTN.
Give them a shout, top blokes!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

O, and these guys are in Lincoln.
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

An Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoTeapot View Post
has doing it made a big difference?
Improved pedal feel, amount of pressure that could be aplied and braking response...

I was very happy with the result..
Stupidname

Cheers, one and all.
FYI, Alfashop will no longer do this, having had a bad experience with a Goodrich kit that was slightly too long & rubbed. Avanti AND Alfashop use a firm in Norwich called SCA Race & Rally in Norwich (SCA Int Race & Rally Centre - Norwichs leading supplier of performance parts) to make bespoke hoses. They're going to do mine & I'll report back here once installed.

Happy trails.
The Teapot

Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
If you really want to sort the brakes out on your car you donít really need to worry about the hoses as it will only make the peddle more firm rather then improving the braking.

To really make a difference you need to fit a set of Performance Friction pads we sell.

Here is a review done a wile ago, the pads that go in the GTA with 330mm are the same as the Brera/Spider 3.2.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tunin...telemetry.html

We fitted a set of these in a 3.2 Spider recently and the guy is very happy with the result, you may want to PM him I am sure he wonít mind

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/members/gtleigh.html

We can supply only or supply and fit and if you want braded hoses we can do that for you at the same time

All the best

Ned
Stupidname

Conclusion

In the end I had more advice than I could cope with, most of it conflicting!

Most people agreed that braided hoses alone would make the pedal firmer but not improve the car actually stopping. Alfashop in Norwich won't touch braided hoses anymore, after a Goodrich set caused them some problems. I was nearly sold some very expensive discs (they would've cost £2k+, ouch!).

But credit to Ned at Autolusso, who reckoned the thing to do was just change to Blue brake fluid and uprate the pads - leaving my original discs intact. The honesty of someone that could've milked me out of a shedload of dosh for stuff I didn't need is a breath of fresh air!

I went over to Autolusso yesterday, and Ned & crew sprang into action. Job done in just over an hour - - and WHAT a difference! It's like a different car. I am so pleased. Problem solved. I really can't recommend these guys highly enough.

THANKS!

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Essex
Great news P Teapot
AO Member

County: Suffolk
Next time I see you heading towards me on the A140 I'm going to pull a hand brake turn in front of you, we'll see how good your brakes are then!
Stupidname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibble View Post
Next time I see you heading towards me on the A140 I'm going to pull a hand brake turn in front of you, we'll see how good your brakes are then!
Blimey - I better stop drinking coffee, texting Firecracker and eating breakfast - - and actually pay attention to me driving then!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > East Anglia

Tags
braided , brake , hose , locally , upgrade

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page