Shelby Daytona Coupe - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Cool Wall This lounge has been dedicated to Mark Cullen who tragically passed away on 07-04-08. The Cool Wall was Marks idea so it's only right it has his name attached.

View Poll Results: original or kit???
sub zero 9 75.00%
cool 3 25.00%
uncool 0 0%
seriously uncool 0 0%
meh 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

2Likes
  • 1 Post By keithyboy
  • 1 Post By 73GTVJim

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 14-06-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Shelby Daytona Coupe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 10 Old 14-06-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
The Ferrari/Mulsanne problem

Carroll Shelby, after winning Le Mans in '59, wanted to return to Europe to beat Ferrari at Le Mans with a car of his own design. Having developed the AC Cobra/Shelby Cobra into a successful GT race car, he sussed that the weakness of the open-cockpit sports cars at Le Mans was the aerodynamic drag which limited top speed on the 3 miles long Mulsanne Straight to around 157 mph, nearly 30 mph down on the Fezza 250 GTO. This top speed differential represented a loss of 10+ seconds per lap which negated anything the Cobra could do in the twisty bits.

Shelby asked Pete Brock to design the Daytona's bodywork and Bob Negstad to design the suspension (the latter also designed the underpinnings for the GT40).

After sketching the design on the floor of the Shelby workshop, starting with the roadster chassis crashed at Le Mans in '63, Brock removed the bodywork and placed a seat and steering wheel in alignment of where he felt that they should be. He then sat driver Ken Miles in the car, and using scrap wood and gaffer tape, designed the windscreen. He then set out a wooden structure and used these as a guide to hand-beat the aluminium bodywork.

An aerodynamics expert from Convair said that the tail needed extending by at least 3 ft, but Brock stood by his design.

Miles took the car to the Riverside Raceway, and on the 1 mile main straight, took the car on his first five laps to 186 mph. It took another 30 days of development before Miles signed off the car, clocked at that point capable of speeds over 190 mph. It was transported to Daytona for its debut race in the 1964 Daytona Continental 2000km. Dave MacDonald earned pole position first time out.

THAT'S MAGNIFICENT
Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
Lovely
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

It is.
I never even knew it existed.
Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
Is this, or a version of it, responsible for doing 177mph on the M1 and subsequently the 70mph limit was brought in?
AO Platinum Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

Super cool.
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Is this, or a version of it, responsible for doing 177mph on the M1 and subsequently the 70mph limit was brought in?
It was a Cobra coupe but not a Daytona, driven by "Gentleman" Jack Sears. The story varies as to whether it was 177mph or 185mph. It also varies as to whether the incident was responsible for the 70mph limit. It came in 2-3 years after and wasn't officially blamed on AC or Sears. It can't have helped though. Either way it's a brilliant little snippet of motoring history.

I know it's rare and super-expensive but it's possibly the ultimate fast deathtrap (and you know how much I like a fast deathtrap) so must be sub-zero surely?

Auto Express - six issues for a quid. Offer must end soon (and then immediately start up again).

Free poor quality torch/T-cut/I luv my VW Polo sew-on badge
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
How big (or tiny) is it? The picture at the top may have a dwarf stood behind it and the picture at the bottom might have a giant sat in it. I really can't get a sense of scale. Is it one of those mahoosive US tanks or is it in fact a whacking big bonnet with a steering wheel in a goldfish bowl tacked on at the end
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
How big (or tiny) is it? The picture at the top may have a dwarf stood behind it and the picture at the bottom might have a giant sat in it. I really can't get a sense of scale. Is it one of those mahoosive US tanks or is it in fact a whacking big bonnet with a steering wheel in a goldfish bowl tacked on at the end
It's probably about a foot longer than a standard Cobra and about the same width. It's shorter and narrower than a current Mondeo (but then most things are as the new Mondeo is ****ing enormous).
MalcQV likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Cobras are iconic. The Daytona Coupe is a legend.

Sub zero.
keithyboy likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Cool Wall

Tags
coupe , daytona , shelby

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page