Triumph Dolomite Sprint - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Cool Wall This lounge has been dedicated to Mark Cullen who tragically passed away on 07-04-08. The Cool Wall was Marks idea so it's only right it has his name attached.

View Poll Results: Sweet 16?
sub zero 1 4.76%
cool 13 61.90%
uncool 6 28.57%
seriously uncool 0 0%
meh 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Greener123
  • 1 Post By Dave Brand

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 26-03-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Triumph Dolomite Sprint

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

I quite like the dolly but it isn't cool
MalcQV likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Just about, but the PL ones were oft' in for head probs and more beside? :
(Post Link) post #4 of 18 Old 26-03-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Competitors such as the BMW 2002 had a big performance advantage, which was costing Triumph dearly, both in terms of sales and prestige. To remedy this, Triumph unveiled the Dolomite Sprint in June 1973.

A team of engineers led by Spen King developed a 2.0 SOHC 16-valve engine, and with big carbs it gave 127 bhp. In '73. 150bhp was reliably possible, but the production line was unable to build the engines to a consistent level of quality. :doh:

The design of the cylinder head won a British Design Council award in 1974. :smug:

Performance was excellent, with 0–60 mph taking 8.4 seconds, with a maximum speed of 119 mph. Trim was similar to the 1850, with the addition of standard alloy wheels (another first for a British production car), a vinyl roof, front spoiler, twin exhausts and lowered suspension. By now seats were cloth on the 1850, and these were also fitted to the Sprint. :smug:

Due to the increase in power brought by the new engine, the rest of the driveline was upgraded to be able to withstand the extra torque. The gearbox and differential were replaced by a version of those fitted to the TR and 2000 series cars, albeit with a close ratio gearset in the gearbox. The brakes were upgraded with new pad materials at the front, and the fitment of larger drums and a load sensing valve at the rear. Other changes over the standard Dolomite included the option of a LSD. The optional overdrive and automatic transmission from the 1850 model were also offered as options on the Sprint. Initial models were only offered in Mimosa Yellow, although further colours were available from 1974 on.

At launch the Sprint was priced at 1740, which compared extremely well to similar cars from other manufacturers. Prospective buyers would have been hard pressed to justify the extra 1000 cost of the BMW 2002 Tii, which offered similar performance. The four-door practicality of the Sprint also made it a very attractive proposition for the young executive choosing his first company car. The press gave the Dolomite Sprint an enthusiastic reception. Motor summarised its road test (subtitled "Britain leads the way") with glowing praise:

" ...the Sprint must be the answer to many people's prayer. It is well appointed, compact, yet deceptively roomy. Performance is there in plenty, yet economy is good and the model's manners quite impeccable ... Most important of all, it is a tremendously satisfying car to drive."

In the first series of The Professionals Bodie drove a white Dolomite Sprint.

In 1977, 62 TR7s were manufactured with the same Sprint engine as pre-production cars at Speke, Liverpool. However, this Triumph TR7 Sprint variant was cancelled with the closure of the Speke assembly plant in 1978. :bangheed:
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quick in its day and still more than capable now. Nice looking, classy, pioneering in many ways. It's in my top 10 (admittedly there are 23 cars in my top ten but still......). Bodie drove one.

Cool for me. If bloody BL had carried on CSK's work and built the thing properly, they would have sold millions.
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
Should have been cool, but too late coming on to the market & quality was poor even by BL's abysmal standards.

The cylinder head design, while ingenious, limited tuning possibilities by using the same cam lobes for inlet & exhaust.

Another "if only. . ."
zulu ferret likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
I know a Triumph designer, now retired, and he designed the Sprint badge. There was one with 150 bhp but that was never used.
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

150bhp was a step too far in terms of reliability apparently when hammered together by BL. The engine was also used in F3 where, with extra whizzy bits, it made even more.

A bit like the Stag, it seems they can be perfectly reliable if screwed together properly.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
As DB says, at this point BL rot had set in
and nothing they touched could ever be
seen as cool.
(Post Link) post #10 of 18 Old 26-03-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Poll says otherwise :smug: :smug: :smug:
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Never liked them. Uncool just like pretty much all of the BL stuff from that era.
AO Member

County: Fife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Presley View Post
Poll says otherwise :smug::smug::smug:
Cool for me. I had one in white back in the early eighties. I really liked it, good performance for the time and a comfortable cruiser with overdrive on third and fourth. Overdrive third particularly useful in traffic as you could flick it out of overdrive quickly for overtaking. Never had any cylinder head problems, I changed the oil every 3000 miles though. Eat points though and just about as rusty as the Fiat 124 Coupe the preceded it.
AO Member

County: -
Garage
My first car was a Sprint and I loved it..... The fact that the cylinder head was warped and almost zero compression on 1 and 4 made no difference, it looked great. Mix of faded vinyl roof, canary yellow paint and rust.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
It pains me to say it, as I love Triumphs and a Dolly Sprint was the car I swore I'd buy new when I was still a kid, but it's not a cool car.

+ Great British alternative to a Tii
- Stodgy looks.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
I think James May's Cars of the People shone a bright light on the
wreck that was BL.

It was basically a car company stuck in the 50s and it shows in
almost everything they did.
Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
Meh
Unregistered

County: South Yorkshire
Triumph stag was sub zero. ok build quality was questionable but you could say that about most Alfas
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

I struggle with it being cool. I like it, I do and it should be cool.

A few jobs back I worked with a chap who owned a couple of Dolly's. They weren't Sprints just plain old Dollys. One lunchtime out to the pub I came in the Dolly with him.

Back in the office my esteemed colleagues said we looked like a gay couple. Something to do with the age or type of car? I don't think they're cool.

Being gay is probably cool though? I don't know.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Cool Wall

Tags
dolomite , sprint , triumph

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page