Fiat 125S Vignale Samantha - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Cool Wall This lounge has been dedicated to Mark Cullen who tragically passed away on 07-04-08. The Cool Wall was Marks idea so it's only right it has his name attached.


View Poll Results: bella
sub zero 8 28.57%
cool 17 60.71%
uncool 2 7.14%
seriously uncool 0 0%
meh 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 28 Old 02-02-15 Thread Starter
Status: I'm not really here
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Club Member Number: 59
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 76,926
Garage
steveisfrowning is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
(Post Link) post #2 of 28 Old 02-02-15 Thread Starter
Status: I'm not really here
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Club Member Number: 59
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 76,926
Garage
Baby Miura
steveisfrowning is offline  
Status: strongstablestrongst able
AO Platinum Member
 
keithyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cambodia
County: Phnom Penh
Posts: 14,107

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Never seen one before but bloody hell that's pretty and the dash is bordering on spectacular.

Cool.
keithyboy is offline  
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 31,405
Shares it's door with the Jensen Interceptor, I believe .
cue2 is offline  
Status: everyone else givehugs ,the welsh givecwtches
AO Silver Member
 
alfa 4 ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Neath Port Talbot
Posts: 5,783
alfa 4 ever is offline  
Status: Bye Daffy Cat
AO Platinum Member
 
Keithy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Shropshire
Posts: 37,412
Nope.

All the usual 60s flaws, too skinny tyres in too big arches, exhaust like a drainpipe, sunbeam rapier arse.

Lovely from the front, Kim Karkrash from the rear.
Keithy is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
MalcQV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 13,519

Member car:

Office Chair.

Never heard nor seen one before. Lovely looking though. Super bloomin cool.
MalcQV is offline  
Status: The BSD says konnichiwa
Global Mod Team
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Japan
County: Tokyo
Posts: 114,689

Deffo cool. Has something of a Maserati Mistral to it.
BigFoot is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Ben_NZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 1,468
I don't like the front. It reminds me of a Miura but not in a good way, more a follow-the-trend-but-don't-pull-it-off-well way.
Marks off for being called Samantha and for being in breach of the unobtainable / undriveable museum piece rule (I've never seen or heard of these before either).
Ben_NZ is offline  
Status: Devoid of gorm
Global Mod Team
 
Halibut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Germany & Belgium
Posts: 7,569
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_NZ View Post
I don't like the front. It reminds me of a Miura but not in a good way, more a follow-the-trend-but-don't-pull-it-off-well way.
Marks off for being called Samantha and for being in breach of the unobtainable / undriveable museum piece rule (I've never seen or heard of these before either).
What is this rule you speak of?

I have seen this one for sale in Belgium, and if I had the (very few) pennies required, It would already be mine!

Amazing original condition!
Fiat vignale samantha, Auto's, Averbode | Kapaza.be
Halibut is offline  
Status: Thinking about a Scirrocco
AO Platinum Member
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brighton.
County: Good old Sussex by the sea
Posts: 12,837

Member car:

The train :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
Nope.

All the usual 60s flaws, too skinny tyres in too big arches, exhaust like a drainpipe, sunbeam rapier arse.

Lovely from the front, Kim Karkrash from the rear.
My opinion is completely the opposite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_NZ View Post
I don't like the front. It reminds me of a Miura but not in a good way, more a follow-the-trend-but-don't-pull-it-off-well way.
Marks off for being called Samantha and for being in breach of the unobtainable / undriveable museum piece rule (I've never seen or heard of these before either).
The front reminds me of a Vauxhall Chevette , although it looks nice with the lights up, while I get notes of DB7 from the rear.

I will vote cool, if only because of the interior and a five speed box.
Starkers is offline  
markw2014
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
never seen one, but very pretty. bet they rusted well!
 
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 31,405
There was a report in Autoitalia magazine about one of these restored by an Irish guy who spend a decade and a fortune getting one restored including thousands for a new front bumper etc . He drove it to the Brooklands day and it was written off on the way home. The Greek guy who imported them to the Uk was in the back of his back home and was killed when a tank drove over it. The owner of the Vignale company sold out to Ghia and soon afterwards was also killed but in a car accident . Ford acquired the name when getting the Ghia company in a Turin from the Ghia family .
cue2 is offline  
Status: Bye Daffy Cat
AO Platinum Member
 
Keithy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Shropshire
Posts: 37,412
So, they are ugly and cursed?
Keithy is offline  
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 31,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
So, they are ugly and cursed?
There's probably a view that could be set up that makes it look really nice but better to keep away!
cue2 is offline  
(Post Link) post #16 of 28 Old 03-02-15 Thread Starter
Status: I'm not really here
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Club Member Number: 59
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 76,926
Garage




it's pretty as
steveisfrowning is offline  
Status: Living The Dream!
AO Silver Member
 
W1NST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Preston
County: Lancashire
Posts: 1,492
I likes that - cool.
W1NST is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Ben_NZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
What is this rule you speak of?

I have seen this one for sale in Belgium, and if I had the (very few) pennies required, It would already be mine!

Amazing original condition!
Fiat vignale samantha, Auto's, Averbode | Kapaza.be
That rule is my own personal Cool Wall rule. Basically, a car becomes less cool once it's rare enough that its owners park it in a collection and only drive it gently on sunny days to classic car shows etc. A car that's rare enough not to be readily available on the market is certainly going to have this problem. If you can't buy one and use it as designed (not baby it) whenever you want because you're too busy worrying about putting mileage on it, wearing it out or the possibility of it being damaged, losing originality etc, the car's coolness is deservedly diminished.

When you think about it, 22,000 Euros, 'one for sale', 'amazing original condition' and 'Belgium' all combine to indicate that the Samantha is already some way down the dreaded unobtainable / undriveable museum piece track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim
"PS and you agree with Ben so you must be wrong "
Ben_NZ is offline  
Status: Devoid of gorm
Global Mod Team
 
Halibut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Germany & Belgium
Posts: 7,569
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_NZ View Post
That rule is my own personal Cool Wall rule. Basically, a car becomes less cool once it's rare enough that its owners park it in a collection and only drive it gently on sunny days to classic car shows etc. A car that's rare enough not to be readily available on the market is certainly going to have this problem. If you can't buy one and use it as designed (not baby it) whenever you want because you're too busy worrying about putting mileage on it, wearing it out or the possibility of it being damaged, losing originality etc, the car's coolness is deservedly diminished.

When you think about it, 22,000 Euros, 'one for sale', 'amazing original condition' and 'Belgium' all combine to indicate that the Samantha is already some way down the dreaded unobtainable / undriveable museum piece track.
Okay, I do get your point and see what you mean. Maybe not so easily obtainable .... but I mention the 'one for sale in Belgium' as it's where I live (at weekends) and the car in question is half an hour away from my place. So apart from the fact I don't have the cash, it's not that unobtainable. (And it really is in amazing original condition ) But if I did own it, I would not cosset it, but use it as intended. Much the same as I would if I had a 105 Coupé which sells for similar money. Not a daily driver, but something to enjoy at weekends.
But yes, as only 100 of them were made, so I guess chances of ownership is rather limited.

However, I would question judging a car as uncool just because there were only 100 of them........ GTV Cup uncool because there were only 155 of them (in the UK)?????

Anyway, I do totally respect your opinion and reasoning, albeit, (in this particular case) completely and utterly wrong. :crazy:

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
Email: [email protected]



Never miss an opportunity to make others happy...........
.....even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it.
Halibut is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Ben_NZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
However, I would question judging a car as uncool just because there were only 100 of them....
I don't do that, I just subtract a level. A car that's sub zero gets reduced to cool.
It's just the same as if the car had another type of image problem, such as being owned by boyracers / drug dealers / Honda fanboys / senior citizens / people with beards.
There's a guy in NZ who owns between 10 and 20 Maseratis. He keeps them in a warehouse and doesn't drive them. His Bora has only a few hundred miles on the clock, and probably the original tyres for authenticity. Boras must be considered less cool if they attract that guy.

Deliberately limited production runs, incidentally, are an uncool concept. Why did they make only 500 Alfa 8C Competiziones? In order to drive up prices and not compete with Maserati and Ferrari. What does this encourage? Speculators and collectors buying the cars and locking them away. None of these things are cool.
Ben_NZ is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
EngholmP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Copenhagen area
County: Denmark
Posts: 79

Member car:

Alfa 156 SW

I also don’t remember hearing about this FIAT Vignale before, but looking at the photographs on top of this page :

Fiat 125S Samantha: Small Italian, big on design | Classic Driver Magazine

Especially the interior in the same high standard and a design as a modern Alfa Romeo in a car from the 1960’es, makes it super cool for me.

The rear roof bit reminds me of a 1960és Aston (DBS). I don’t like the front, though. Nor the standard FIAT 125 tail lights. The front wings and the engine compartment looks too short for the rest of the car.
So “just” cool for me
EngholmP is offline  
Status: Coffee with MILF
AO Platinum Member
 
Al Faromeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Netherlands
County: Limburg
Posts: 25,986
I love that car!
Never seen in the flesh...
Al Faromeo is offline  
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,469
Actually, I don't like the front styling but this is pretty cool. Unusual,with a big dose of quirk about it and age all adds in. Ben has a point but tends...as always.... too far in the opposite direction just because it's old, rare whatever IMHO. Therefore his view of cool is far too limited even when the car was relatively ordinary.

And anyway, a name as daft as "Samantha" is almost cool in itself!
73GTVJim is offline  
Status: Gormless [email protected]*
AO Gold Member
 
Paddy OPlastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 8,443

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
And anyway, a name as daft as "Samantha" is almost cool in itself!
The only Samantha I knew wasn't at all virginal.
Paddy OPlastic is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 137
Definitely cool, they're not unobtainable museum pieces either, there is a stunning fully restored one for sale at Mole Valley Specialist Cars in Surrey for £30k. If i had £30k i'd be tempted.
andy42 is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Cool Wall

Tags
125s , fiat , samantha , vignale

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome