Ariel Atom 500 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Cool Wall This lounge has been dedicated to Mark Cullen who tragically passed away on 07-04-08. The Cool Wall was Marks idea so it's only right it has his name attached.


View Poll Results: Ariel Atom 500
Sub Zero 2 11.11%
Cool 9 50.00%
Uncool 4 22.22%
Seriously Uncool 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 33 Old 13-12-12 Thread Starter
Ant
Status: Always hopeful yet discontent.
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Ant's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 92
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Somewhere far beyond...
Posts: 38,310

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Ariel Atom 500

Stupid fast. Is it cool?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ariel Atom 500 1.jpg (123.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Ariel Atom 500 2.jpg (50.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Ariel Atom 500 3.jpg (63.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Ariel Atom 500 4.jpg (61.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Ariel Atom 500 5.jpg (28.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Ariel Atom 500 6.jpg (67.0 KB, 3 views)
Ant is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
keithyboy
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Is it ****. It looks an absolute hoot, and in the right place at the right time, I doubt there's anything better. However, you'll always look like a dick in it (and given that it's minus 3 outside a cold dick at that).

It's about as practical as a Morgan 3-wheeler but lacks the olde worlde charm and sense of humour.

A bit like the F40, it's not cool but sometimes being cool isn't all that important.

And if anyone wants to lend me one, you can contact me by PM.
 
Gaz
Status: Privileged
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?
 
Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Behind the wheel
County: Lancashire
Posts: 63,352
I usually agree with Keithygirl but that is so wrong

This car is so ridiculously pointless and overpriced that it is actually cool. Whilst i agree with the logic above, its so uncool that its actually made itself cool again. A bit like the SZ being so ugly its beautiful
Gaz is offline  
Status: The Rosso twins are here!
AO Silver Member
 
edraven71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Tyne and Wear
Posts: 3,851
Garage
I would say Uber cool, was lucky enough to drive the (standard) 320bhp one for 20 laps on a track day and have to say it was the most fun I have ever had with my clothes on (or without come to that!)
Also there is one that I often see driving around the North East in all weathers (skull helmet bike leathers etc etc) and when I see him all I get is that overriding urge to swap my warm comfy cockpit for his seat.

One day
edraven71 is offline  
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 31,431
That's where it belongs. On the motorway it just looks stupid and vulnerable but on a track ,ok.
cue2 is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
MalcQV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 13,519

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
I usually agree with Keithygirl but that is so wrong

This car is so ridiculously pointless and overpriced that it is actually cool. Whilst i agree with the logic above, its so uncool that its actually made itself cool again. A bit like the SZ being so ugly its beautiful
Could not have said it better.
MalcQV is offline  
keithyboy
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
I would say Uber cool, was lucky enough to drive the (standard) 320bhp one for 20 laps on a track day and have to say it was the most fun I have ever had with my clothes on (or without come to that!)
Also there is one that I often see driving around the North East in all weathers (skull helmet bike leathers etc etc) and when I see him all I get is that overriding urge to swap my warm comfy cockpit for his seat.

One day
So you drive around in what basically amounts to a gimp costume?
 
keithyboy
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Where are Jim and Keithy, we need to introduce some common sense here as a matter of urgency.
 
Status: R.I.P Paula :(
AO Rosso Alfa Member
 
Shant Ole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cyprus
County: Larnaca
Posts: 57,683
I always loved those cars and want one so much but theyre too expensive. You can buy a proper car with the same amount of money. Its absolutely fun to drive no question about that.

Ive seen somebody driving one of those on a high way and it was raining SO much the guy was looking absolutely ridiculous. That was uncool. But its a cool car



Shant Ole is offline  
mudhut
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Definitely cool, possibly seriously so.
 
Status: Abarth attack
AO Silver Member
 
SENNA1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cyprus
County: -
Posts: 2,830

Member car:

GT ss/Cav mk1

Cool!I'd like one
SENNA1 is offline  
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,474
You rang kb, sir?

I hate to disappoint you but this is a cool car, not far off sub zero. Price is irrelevant again dear Shant. As is its presence or exposure on the M60.

This is fun, pure and simple. It is barking mad as a daily car of course and it is that lack of compromise that makes it cool. I'm willing to bet that before reading the other comments, every one of you looked at the photos and smiled. That is cool.
73GTVJim is offline  
Status: I'm not really here
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Club Member Number: 59
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 76,931
Garage
It's virtually at the opposite end of the cool scale, from cool. It's primary demographic are fat, old men with more money than sense - but enough sense not to buy a bike.

I'd love a go in one, but I'd either kill myself or **** myself.
steveisfrowning is offline  
(Post Link) post #14 of 33 Old 14-12-12 Thread Starter
Ant
Status: Always hopeful yet discontent.
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Ant's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 92
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Somewhere far beyond...
Posts: 38,310

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
I'd love a go in one, but I'd either kill myself or **** myself.
That alone makes it cool.

Ant is offline  
Status: Bye Daffy Cat
AO Platinum Member
 
Keithy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Shropshire
Posts: 37,419
It is a brilliant track day tool, and I would imagine an immense amount of fun, better than a bath full of nuns and olive oil.

But it AIN'T cool. You will always look a bit of twerp, a bit of a nerd, or like someone with more money then sense if you use it anywhere other than the track.

If you 'track day' in your battered Skyline R32 that you drive to work you will look cool, in the atom you will look like a tool.
Keithy is online now  
Status: I'm not really here
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Club Member Number: 59
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 76,931
Garage
I suspect it could be both in quick succession actually. And probably either way around too.
steveisfrowning is offline  
Status: R.I.P Paula :(
AO Rosso Alfa Member
 
Shant Ole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cyprus
County: Larnaca
Posts: 57,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
That is cool.
It definitely is

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post

I'd love a go in one, but I'd either kill myself or **** myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
That alone makes it cool.

What Ant ^^^ said





Shant Ole is offline  
keithyboy
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
You rang kb, sir?

I hate to disappoint you but this is a cool car, not far off sub zero. Price is irrelevant again dear Shant. As is its presence or exposure on the M60.

This is fun, pure and simple. It is barking mad as a daily car of course and it is that lack of compromise that makes it cool. I'm willing to bet that before reading the other comments, every one of you looked at the photos and smiled. That is cool.

Oh dear god. I can only put it down to the xmas silly season. I suggest we lock this until january when everyone has got their common sense back.
 
Status: R.I.P Paula :(
AO Rosso Alfa Member
 
Shant Ole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cyprus
County: Larnaca
Posts: 57,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
Oh dear god. I can only put it down to the xmas silly season. I suggest we lock this until january when everyone has got their common sense back.
Are you sure everyone will get their common sense back?





Shant Ole is offline  
Status: R.I.P Paula :(
AO Rosso Alfa Member
 
Shant Ole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cyprus
County: Larnaca
Posts: 57,683
I love voting the cool wall



Shant Ole is offline  
keithyboy
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shant Ole View Post
Are you sure everyone will get their common sense back?

Those who have previously demonstrated it (like Jim) hopefully will.
 
Status: R.I.P Paula :(
AO Rosso Alfa Member
 
Shant Ole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cyprus
County: Larnaca
Posts: 57,683




Shant Ole is offline  
Status: Broken again...
AO Platinum Member
 
GhostyDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right Side O The Pennines
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 25,672
mucho cooolio, the cars a motoring icon
GhostyDog is offline  
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,474
I think utterly focussed and slightly daft is cool in itself. It clearly does not work on the daily commute, nor is it intended to. It has absolutely no pretensions to be something it is not.

Your own radar is off kb if you think a scabby, beaten up old R32 is cooler just because the owner tracks it on a weekend and drives to work the next day.







Having said that.....Shant has agreed with me so I'm starting to have doubts!
73GTVJim is offline  
Status: R.I.P Paula :(
AO Rosso Alfa Member
 
Shant Ole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cyprus
County: Larnaca
Posts: 57,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
I think utterly focussed and slightly daft is cool in itself. It clearly does not work on the daily commute, nor is it intended to. It has absolutely no pretensions to be something it is not.

Your own radar is off kb if you think a scabby, beaten up old R32 is cooler just because the owner tracks it on a weekend and drives to work the next day.







Having said that.....Shant has agreed with me so I'm starting to have doubts!


See? We finally agree on something





Shant Ole is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Cool Wall

Tags
500 , ariel , atom

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome