Ferrari F355 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Cool Wall This lounge has been dedicated to Mark Cullen who tragically passed away on 07-04-08. The Cool Wall was Marks idea so it's only right it has his name attached.

View Poll Results: Ferrari F355
Sub Zero 19 42.22%
Cool 17 37.78%
Uncool 9 20.00%
Seriously Uncool 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 63 Old 07-12-12 Thread Starter
Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Ferrari F355

Bella Macchina. Is it cool?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ferrari F355 1.jpg (119.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Ferrari F355 2.jpg (96.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Ferrari F355 3.jpg (109.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Ferrari F355 4.jpg (78.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Ferrari F355 5.jpg (164.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Ferrari F355 6.jpg (65.2 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
Berlinetta, yes
GTS, borderline
Spider, definitely not

And any with the F1 box are automatically uncool. As are yellow ones

(Malc, this is payback )
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
dull dull dull
Gaz
Regional Support North

Wrong wrong wrong
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
it's so......................predictable
Gaz
Regional Support North

But its the last of the old school style Ferraris and thus the last proper good looking one

Its beautiful without being outlandish. Its menacing without being ugly. Its almost understated but you just know its a serious bit of kit

Dated, quite possibly. Underpowered compared to the modern equivalent, certainly.

One thing it definity isnt though is dull
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Fantastic. I'd have one over a 458 Italia in a heartbeat (finances aside).
mudhut

Gaz has it right here.

This is the only Ferrari I've ever been in. Bloody outstanding, beautiful in a refined way, completely focused. Uber cool.

keithyboy

It was definitely cool when that Dutch bird drove it in Goldeneye.

Rule 3 (or four?) is that supercars aren't cool. However, thisis the last Ferrari I actually liked. The styling inside and out is clean and uncluttered and very pretty. I tempted to default to uncool (just) but am willing to he convinced.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
So it's a fatter, clunkier version of the 308.......it was a cliche before it even came off the design page.
keithyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
So it's a fatter, clunkier version of the 308.......it was a cliche before it even came off the design page.
No big gay diffuser though. No hideous button infested dashboard either. Really torn on this one.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
If you sat in it, would it bestow you with cool?

It couldn't do that for me.

The only way I could ever receive the gift of cool is if I rode into town on something deeply impressively macho and american - or something esoterically french.

If I pulled up in this I would be open to vast ridicule.....and deep down I'd want to eat my sunglasses.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6

Sub Zero for me, one of my favourite Ferraris alongside the 288 GTO and the Dino 246 GT.
Looks fantastic, sounds fantastic, and doubtless it's a hoot to drive.
Will always be on my 'want' list.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Larnaca
Sub zero. Thread closed

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
An easy sub z from me
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
Rule 3 (or four?) is that supercars aren't cool.
This is a Ferrari, but I wouldn't call it a supercar. The F50 was their supercar at the time.
The driver sits closer to the centerline of the car than the passenger, but I bet the driving position's still lousy. Various things about this model (e.g. proper manual gearbox, won't beat everything on the road, affordable enough that it's likely to get used) suggest at least some of them will be picked up by people closer to car enthusiasts than poseurs or collectors. This is why it's allowed to be cool.
I'm not crazy enough over the styling, the interior, the sound, the image etc to give it sub zero though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim
"PS and you agree with Ben so you must be wrong "
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Larnaca
This is one of the best Ferraris ever made

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Fantastic. I'd have one over a 458 Italia in a heartbeat (finances aside).
No way. The 458 is a far superior driving machine. Neither is cool btw.

Quote:
The only way I could ever receive the gift of cool is if I rode into town on something deeply impressively macho and american - or something esoterically french.

If I pulled up in this I would be open to vast ridicule.....and deep down I'd want to eat my sunglasses.
Therein lies the problem. Anyone rocking up in one looks a prat. The 355 isn't old enough to be cool yet...it might get there as older Ferraris do gradually attain cooler status as they age. But not yet. Now it is a pretty cheap, "affordable" used Ferrari and it looks like you are a sad poseur who can't afford a proper classic one or a flash new one which means that the 355 attracts extra Uncool points. Sorry Malc - that is an unbiased view of the 355, not a personal attack. The car is lovely and all that and I can understand anyone wanting one.

BTW - I accept, like a few of our regulars, that there are many cars I find deeply desirable that aren't cool and I know I'd look a prat in driving one myself - but it wouldn't stop me if I could buy them.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Post 1970 Ferraris are not cool - ever.

I am a sad poseur. My dick is very small, a bit of a hairdresser (F355's have driver aids) but next time I am at a meet you better watch it Jim you may well get a buggering like you have never witnessed, and I have driver aids too.

It is not yet cool, but then I don't think a 308 is either, I mean some **** with a moustache drove one around Hawaii. The F355 is always going to be remembered as one of the last beautiful Ferraris. It is beautiful (to me). However they are just not cool and everyone who [doesn't] (steady Gaz) know me thinks I'm a tool when in it, mostly.

You should turn up to an American muscle meet in one, I did in the F355 and the Mondial. The latter was accepted just (though incredibly) as a Toyota replica by one chap

I certainly never bought it to be cool.
I'm not so certain they are truly affordable. To put one in the garage maybe. More reason for it not to be cool

Lastly how could a car I own be cool (Clarkson school of thought too)?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
I am a sad poseur. My dick is very small, a bit of a hairdresser (F355's have driver aids) but next time I am at a meet you better watch it Jim you may well get a buggering like you have never witnessed, and I have driver aids too.

It is not yet cool, but then I don't think a 308 is either, I mean some **** with a moustache drove one around Hawaii. The F355 is always going to be remembered as one of the last beautiful Ferraris. It is beautiful (to me). However they are just not cool and everyone who [doesn't] (steady Gaz) know me thinks I'm a tool when in it, mostly.

You should turn up to an American muscle meet in one, I did in the F355 and the Mondial. The latter was accepted just (though incredibly) as a Toyota replica by one chap

I certainly never bought it to be cool.
I'm not so certain they are truly affordable. To put one in the garage maybe. More reason for it not to be cool

Lastly how could a car I own be cool (Clarkson school of thought too)?
Thanks for taking the comments the right way and for the self-deprecating approach to ownership. That is quite cool.....not so much the threat of buggery however! Don't get me wrong, if you turned up at Rivi Barn in it I'd be there cooing over it like everyone else because it is interesting, pretty fast and a bona fide Ferrari. As you rightly agree, it just isn't cool.

I think people who know the owner will always have a more sympathetic view simply because they know the person and their passion for the car, but an onlooker would almost certainly think what I said earlier.

Despite that, it can still be considered a beautiful car and it is actually quite nice saying you have a mate who owns a Ferrari I'd guess that half the owners are like you and bought the car because they love it, not because they thought it'd impress other people and I'd say that is the right way around. The driver aid stuff is irrelevant and it certainly isn't a hairdresser's car even if it is quite a delicate looking thing. In a few years time you'll be laughing as it will appreciate eventually.....or burst into flames, of course, which may provoke a different kind of laughter.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

I can't say I have met a Ferrari owner who bought it to impress but I have seen many who have.
What I mean is those that go to meets and on forums such as this one are petrolheads and as such bought a car they like. When I owned my Mondial I would let on to a chap on millionaires row (Worsley) who then had a 360. That **** never once acknowledged me, though I continued to acknowledge him.
There was a chap with a yellow Lotus Esprite V8 who always did . It turned out his niece worked for the barber who cut my hair too.
AO Platinum Member

That's the difference between an enthusuast and just some rich bloke basically.

I was just pondering on what you'd written earlier and even though I'm not a huge Ferrari lover, and despite it being slightly embarrassing (for me anyway if I had one), what did I mean by "affordable" and what would I consider buying if I could?

I didn't mean "cheap" but that is all relative. They aren't cheap to buy or run but when you look at some of these in-between classic and modern models you can have a Ferrari for the price of a well spec'd Golf GTI or lightly spec'd BMW mid range 3 series diesel.

The 550 always appealed to me. Just dropping into that kind of price territory unless you get a barchetta of course. Even if they do look a bit Supra-esque I think they are quite understated and elegant GT's. The 456 isn't the most dramatic either but look at the prices now! The scary thing is the running costs and I remember reading years ago that the bonnets cost well over £10k That's when you know you can't really afford that affordable looking used prestige car.
keithyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
I can't say I have met a Ferrari owner who bought it to impress but I have seen many who have.
What I mean is those that go to meets and on forums such as this one are petrolheads and as such bought a car they like. When I owned my Mondial I would let on to a chap on millionaires row (Worsley) who then had a 360. That **** never once acknowledged me, though I continued to acknowledge him.
There was a chap with a yellow Lotus Esprite V8 who always did . It turned out his niece worked for the barber who cut my hair too.
I suspect that cars like this develop a bit of an image problem as they reach 15-20 years old. People will assume that what you really want is the latest model but you bought the older one because it's all you can afford. However, to me a 355 is infinitely more desirable that any of the current crop. Similarly, a pre-impact bumper 911 with a teeny 2.4 engine and Fuchs alloys is far more appealing than a brand new turbo.

If I'd bought it for the pleasures of caning a narrow angle V8 or an air-colled flat six through tunnels and the feel through the seat of my pants, I wouldn't let their misconceptions worry me either.

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
Similarly, a pre-impact bumper 911 with a teeny 2.4 engine and Fuchs alloys is far more appealing than a brand new turbo.
But then again, that is properly cool and now getting jolly pricey. You're right though in what you're saying. Probably a bit nearer would be a G-reg 964 Carrera 2 falls into the former versus a newer but still attainable 996 version, let alone the latest.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
If you sat in it, would it bestow you with cool?

It couldn't do that for me.

I was agreeing and following this until you mentioned French

They are all without exception crap. No French cars are cool.

I agree entirely about the macho cool American though

Not even that daft looking "ahead of it's time" Citroen DS.

I agree with you on the American car though.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Cool Wall

Tags
f355 , ferrari

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page