Alfa Romeo Arna - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Cool Wall This lounge has been dedicated to Mark Cullen who tragically passed away on 07-04-08. The Cool Wall was Marks idea so it's only right it has his name attached.

View Poll Results: Alfa Romeo Arna
Sub Zero 2 2.86%
Cool 13 18.57%
Uncool 11 15.71%
Seriously Uncool 44 62.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 35 Old 14-08-12 Thread Starter
Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Alfa Romeo Arna

A Cherry by another name. Is it cool?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alfa Romeo Arna 1.jpg (117.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Alfa Romeo Arna 2.jpg (81.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Alfa Romeo Arna 3.jpg (60.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Alfa Romeo Arna 4.jpg (130.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Alfa Romeo Arna 5.jpg (64.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Alfa Romeo Arna 6.jpg (95.7 KB, 22 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
unmitigated piece of junk

nice pics
AO Gold Member

County: Durham
Im sorry to say this but that Alfa should of never, never, NEVER been built.
AO Silver Member

County: East Dunbartonshire
Garage
It's so uncool, it's cool esp in Nissan Cherry Europe GTi form. Sorry guys
AO Member

County: Greater London
Crazed

Uncool,but always fascinates me when i see photos of one,purely for the fact that anyone made the decision to put an Alfa badge to it !
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
She's pretty cool, but married by the looks of things, and probably as old as me now! The car? Boxy fill in, what shall we make next? So, uncool.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Really sad. Uncool.

Not one of Alfa's finest hours.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
I don't remember that hood ornament as an option. !!!!
Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
80s Italian build quality with Japanese styling. Nuff said

Piece of ****
AO Platinum Member

County: Lincolnshire
It may be an Alfa but seriously....wtf!
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
So rare now it's cool. Plus, some of my mates bought & restored one to concours condition
keithyboy

I think it's interesting as a piece of autmotive history which threw up and very strange coalition of the worst bits of two great car manufacturing companies. I don't think that makes it cool though.

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
I think it's interesting as a piece of autmotive history which threw up and very strange coalition of the worst bits of two great car manufacturing companies. I don't think that makes it cool though.
Worst bits, as in a boxer engine
AO Member

I suspect that had the Nissan Cherry never existed and the ARNA had arrived looking exactly as it did, but as an in-house Alfa design, it would have probably been accepted without question. The boxy styling isn't far removed from any other Alfa at the time but the Nissan connection just wasn't palatable to the Alfisti (and still isn't to some now!)

Many people still think it's a Cherry with an Alfa badge but it's actually about 95% Alfa Romeo and shares less with it's Japanese counterpart than you might imagine. Even the components that are the same as the N12 Cherry are Italian made and Marked 'Alfa Romeo'. In fact, ironically, the Nissan version (the Cherry Europe) is actually a hastily re-badged Alfa! Even the Chassis plate on The Cherry Europe Says Alfa Romeo SpA rather than Nissan. This model was originally only ever meant to be an Alfa and it wasn't originally intended for their to be a Nissan version.

As a car, it's not bad at all. It's quick and nimble (especially in Ti or GTi form) and sounds lovely. In fact prior to it's launch and immeadiately after it received much praise from the motoring press. History has not been kind to it though and over the years the notion of the project being a bad idea (which it undoubtedly was) has become confused with the idea that the ARNA was a bad car. It wasn't really, and certainly no worse than anything else Alfa built back then. Where the real problem lay was in Alfa Romeo not understanding their buyers and the brand loyalty they had. In the same way that 1980's Nissan buyers wouldn't have dreamed of owning a car built by Italians, the average Alfa buyer didn't want a car that looked exactly the same as a Nissan.

As for the question of wether it's cool... we'll it IS an interesting car and in practice not a bad one. Whether people like it or not, it is a proper Alfa Romeo and I think it may even have been the last model to be built prior to Fiat taking over. But cool? Even though I like the car I think it unlikely!
Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
You LIKE the Arna?

Oh my god, you OWN one!

Each to their own i suppose, i have a 145 and many people dont like them. Fair play to you
keithyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
Worst bits, as in a boxer engine
I was thinking more about dodgy 80s Japanese looks and dodgy 80s Italian build quality. It's the engine and general concept that make it interesting to me.

AO Silver Member

County: East Dunbartonshire
Garage
It's much maligned in truth. Think back to AR's other designs around the time they were all angular and looked as though they had been drawn using rulers and set squares, so from that perspective not so out of place. TBH not my favourite era of car design either way
AO Member

The Japanese version of this body style comes in dozens of different flavours including a saloon and even a coupe (albeit really wierd looking) yet the ARNA is sadly the wost looking of all of them due to it's clumsy headlights and massive bumpers. The first of the N12 Cherrys wasn't a bad looking little thing. It's a shame Alfa couldn't have retained the smaller headlights and bumpers along with the mostly clear corner indicators of the Japanese ones...

Anyone know anything about this one?

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZ920 View Post
I suspect that had the Nissan Cherry never existed and the ARNA had arrived looking exactly as it did, but as an in-house Alfa design, it would have probably been accepted without question. The boxy styling isn't far removed from any other Alfa at the time but the Nissan connection just wasn't palatable to the Alfisti (and still isn't to some now!)

Many people still think it's a Cherry with an Alfa badge but it's actually about 95% Alfa Romeo and shares less with it's Japanese counterpart than you might imagine. Even the components that are the same as the N12 Cherry are Italian made and Marked 'Alfa Romeo'. In fact, ironically, the Nissan version (the Cherry Europe) is actually a hastily re-badged Alfa! Even the Chassis plate on The Cherry Europe Says Alfa Romeo SpA rather than Nissan. This model was originally only ever meant to be an Alfa and it wasn't originally intended for their to be a Nissan version.

As a car, it's not bad at all. It's quick and nimble (especially in Ti or GTi form) and sounds lovely. In fact prior to it's launch and immeadiately after it received much praise from the motoring press. History has not been kind to it though and over the years the notion of the project being a bad idea (which it undoubtedly was) has become confused with the idea that the ARNA was a bad car. It wasn't really, and certainly no worse than anything else Alfa built back then. Where the real problem lay was in Alfa Romeo not understanding their buyers and the brand loyalty they had. In the same way that 1980's Nissan buyers wouldn't have dreamed of owning a car built by Italians, the average Alfa buyer didn't want a car that looked exactly the same as a Nissan.

As for the question of wether it's cool... we'll it IS an interesting car and in practice not a bad one. Whether people like it or not, it is a proper Alfa Romeo and I think it may even have been the last model to be built prior to Fiat taking over. But cool? Even though I like the car I think it unlikely!
Nicely put.

Sadly the cult of Clarkson has done its worst and the truth will
never surface until he is long gone

I enjoyed my Arna but, like you, could never see it as cool

AO Member

County: Durham

Member car:

159 Ti 2.4

Want to like it but can't which is strange as looks a little like a talbot sunbeam, and I like them!
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

I voted uncool but only because it looked the same as the Japanese counterpart. Interesting to know it was actually an Alfa.

In reality it is probably quite cool.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Larnaca
Im sorry to say this but its seriously uncool...

AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

GT ss/Cav mk1

It's terrible guys............
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZ920 View Post
Doesn't that actually make it worse? It's pretending to be an Alfa - really hard. As you say though, it's probably not THAT bad as wheels........as a sales proposition it was STUPID.

Clarkson be damned, as ever...........but he never conceived, designed and marketed it.
AO Silver Member

County: New South Wales
Garage
Uncool. It would have been "cooler" if it was badged as Nissan instead, at least Alfa could have kept some pride.

Saluti, Giordano.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Cool Wall

Tags
alfa , arna , romeo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page