Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Cool Wall This lounge has been dedicated to Mark Cullen who tragically passed away on 07-04-08. The Cool Wall was Marks idea so it's only right it has his name attached.

View Poll Results: Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
Sub Zero 7 14.29%
Cool 22 44.90%
Uncool 18 36.73%
Seriously Uncool 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

5Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 56 Old 01-08-12 Thread Starter
Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG

A very big engine in a C-Class sedan. Is it cool?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG 1.jpg (124.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG 2.jpg (60.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG 3.jpg (95.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG 4.jpg (120.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG 5.jpg (79.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG 6.jpg (80.8 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
Uber cool. It just is
mudhut

No, no, no.

Seriously uncool. Looks dreadful but a good sleeper.

keithyboy

In the old days the only way to differentiate between a Merc with a tyre-melting V8 under the bonnet and a six-pot slugger was a discreet badge on the back. That, with its mahoosive wheels, four exhausts and daft diffuser effort on the back bumper, is just too shouty.

Keith's rules of the cool wall #3. Anything with a big gay diffuser on the back is automatically uncool

mudhut

Ok, not so much a sleeper as a bit of a dozer for those not looking too closely! I'd prefer not to look at it at all...

AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire
Yes please but as an estate
AO Silver Member

They've taken a big, lazy barge and made it a big, lazy barge with too much engine. This is a car for a businessman with an ego problem.
Uncool.
AO Silver Member

County: Galway

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Cheese Taxi

TAXI for brave soul
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

159 1750 Ti

It is a bit shouty, but cool nonetheless. As long as it wasn't white I'd have one.
AO Silver Member

County: New South Wales
Garage
Cool.

Saluti, Giordano.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
Keith's rules of the cool wall #3. Anything with a big gay diffuser on the back is automatically uncool
It's only gay if it's there for effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_NZ View Post
They've taken a big, lazy barge and made it a big, lazy barge with too much engine. This is a car for a businessman with an ego problem.
Uncool.
Ben has it nailed and that is why it is uncool.

If it had been more discreet as mentioned by KB and others, then yes, OK, that would be cool, especially with minimal badging.

I bet it's an absolute riot to drive though!
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Larnaca
Its a very good car but its uncool for me because most mercs may look nice now but in 5-6 years time they get outdated and arent very good looking

Personal opinion of course

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

I like it, I like the C class in general and this particular incarnation but unfortunately this is just not ever going to be cool.
keithyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
It's only gay if it's there for effect?
Diffusers on road cars are stupid regardless. Thus a car fitted with one cannot be cool.

AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire
angry big engined Merc = cool, every time.
AO Silver Member

County: Wielkopolskie
No my kind of car, has its class though. Cool.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

GT ss/Cav mk1

It's uncool
RSK

Having recently ordered one of these I will admit to a small degree of bias as I inform those of you in the uncool camp as to why you are of course spectacularly wrong in your assessment

Firstly the estate is definitely the way to go for maximum sleeper effect.

Secondly white is far too obvious - a car like this should be black, dark grey or F1 safety car silver.

Thirdly this car is 159 sized - surely that is not "big barge" territory ? I think you might be confusing it for an S-Class.

So why is it cool ?

It's all about the engine - the 6.2 V8 is a bespoke unit unique to AMG and not based on an existing mainstream MB engine, it's built by hand by a single engineer from start to finish who then signs it. If you visit the AMG factory you can meet the bloke in question 460 bhp easily tuned to 520+ in a family motor !!

In an increasingly digital age this is an unashamedly analogue machine with the performance to worry most super cars, bags more character than the equivalent M or RS cars, plus in sober coloured estate mode room for five people in the ultimate stealth mobile.

And lastly if I need to explain why the noise adds to the coolness then you need new ears

AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

GT ss/Cav mk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
Having recently ordered one of these I will admit to a small degree of bias as I inform those of you in the uncool camp as to why you are of course spectacularly wrong in your assessment

Secondly white is far too obvious - a car like this should be black, dark grey or F1 safety car silver.

Thirdly this car is 159 sized - surely that is not "big barge" territory ? I think you might be confusing it for an S-Class.

So why is it cool ?

It's all about the engine - the 6.2 V8 is a bespoke unit unique to AMG and not based on an existing mainstream MB engine, it's built by hand by a single engineer from start to finish who then signs it. If you visit the AMG factory you can meet the bloke in question 460 bhp easily tuned to 520+ in a family motor !!

In an increasingly digital age this is an unashamedly analogue machine with the performance to worry most super cars, bags more character than the equivalent M or RS cars, plus in sober coloured estate mode room for five people in the ultimate stealth mobile.

And lastly if I need to explain why the noise adds to the coolness then you need new ears
If this is cool,what shall we vode for a Ferrari,an Alfa or a Maserati???
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:

So why is it cool ?

First and foremost I do like this car very much.
As a new Mercedes even with what I am sure is a sublime engine (and good looks) I would no more look at this than say a McLaren or 458 and say 'Cool'. There are only a handful of new cars that can ever be cool for me and that includes, Alfa, Maserati, Aston Martin and some Lambos. Though TBH the latter are now for me becoming less 'cool'

Alfa and Maserati are beautiful soulful cars, yep that includes 159's and Guilllettaaarr etc.
I love Massers all of them.
I know it is personal but firmly believe Alfa, Aston and Maserati most folks would agree are cool.
Now if you said one of these Mercedes...

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
RSK

190 SL = uber-cool and I see the logic but it's a diferent kind of design-centric, stylistic, redolent of a certain time and place cool.

The reason i think the C63 is cool (unbiased I promise ) is that it's just so incongruous and out of kilter with the stereotypical image associated with its origins. It's very much the last of a dying breed and IMO that makes it something to celebrate.

I can't agree with your point that Alfas, Massers and Astons are default cool I'm afraid as I don't think any major brand can say that. Each of those marques has built some shockingly uncool cars, or are about to. That said I would say that it's been in more recent times they've sullied their status, nowt cool about a Cygnet, MiTo, or Kubang.

But as the old saying goes "Opinions are like a-holes, everybody's got one and they all stink"

AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

159 1750 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
First and foremost I do like this car very much.
As a new Mercedes even with what I am sure is a sublime engine (and good looks) I would no more look at this than say a McLaren or 458 and say 'Cool'. There are only a handful of new cars that can ever be cool for me and that includes, Alfa, Maserati, Aston Martin and some Lambos. Though TBH the latter are now for me becoming less 'cool'

Alfa and Maserati are beautiful soulful cars, yep that includes 159's and Guilllettaaarr etc.
I love Massers all of them.
I know it is personal but firmly believe Alfa, Aston and Maserati most folks would agree are cool.
I really, really don't get this. I Don't see how a badge makes a car cool? Some Alfas are cool, but not all. Plenty of Maseratti and Aston duds too.

A manufacturer isn't cool or uncool (except in its business processes maybe), each car is a case in itself. Alfa, Maseratti and Aston have (maybe), on average, produced more "cool" cars than most other manufacturers, doens't make all their cars coll by a long way.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
190 SL = uber-cool and I see the logic but it's a diferent kind of design-centric, stylistic, redolent of a certain time and place cool.

The reason i think the C63 is cool (unbiased I promise ) is that it's just so incongruous and out of kilter with the stereotypical image associated with its origins. It's very much the last of a dying breed and IMO that makes it something to celebrate.

I can't agree with your point that Alfas, Massers and Astons are default cool I'm afraid as I don't think any major brand can say that. Each of those marques has built some shockingly uncool cars, or are about to. That said I would say that it's been in more recent times they've sullied their status, nowt cool about a Cygnet, MiTo, or Kubang.

But as the old saying goes "Opinions are like a-holes, everybody's got one and they all stink"
Indeed and that Merc you have bought is a superb car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palexr View Post
I really, really don't get this. I Don't see how a badge makes a car cool? Some Alfas are cool, but not all. Plenty of Maseratti and Aston duds too.

A manufacturer isn't cool or uncool (except in its business processes maybe), each car is a case in itself. Alfa, Maseratti and Aston have (maybe), on average, produced more "cool" cars than most other manufacturers, doens't make all their cars coll by a long way.
To a large extent I disagree, the badge doth make the car cool along with age and looks. It is not about what looks good or drives bad and what is bad, if so the McLaren MP12-4C and Fezza 458 would be uber cool and they are just super uncool. Nowt to do with how they drive whether it is cool or not.

However my opinion on what marque is cool is most certainly open for debate and debatable
keithyboy

Quote:

So why is it cool ?

Surely those are all reasons why it's good rather than cool?

AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
OK, it's a Q car, and the engine is awesome, but it is still a c-class to look at - despite the whacking zorsts etc etc.

A stock c-class is not cool, can just the engine lift the car?

Is a 159 1.9 diseasel less cool than a 3.2ti?

I've painted myself into a corner with that so for me, if Jezza thinks it great then it is uncool.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Cool Wall

Tags
amg , c63 , mercedesbenz

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page